Why do bar soaps still exist?

MyName13
Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Yes it still isn't something common where I come from, bar soaps are still king :P

Not surprising, since bar soap is cheap, effective, and available literally everywhere.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Haha what an odd question. Why doesn't it exist? It's good to have choice. You should never knock choice. I've used both, and while I enjoy both, I do like a good bar soap more. It just lasts way, way longer. It does depend what you get though. If you're spending a few dollars for a 6 pack of soap, yeah, it's gonna be a shitty experience.

8 hours ago, MyName13 said:

I know, but liquid is still cleaner (although it doesn't matter), there are also no solid remains in it.

Uh, what? How dirty are you? Maybe you just need to change the way you use soap. Don't rub the bar against yourself.

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I was raised on bar soap actually. I prefer it to "gels" and similar things. I'm also pretty weird so...

I don't think that's weird at all. I'm the same. Raised on Pears, but can't stand it. Definitely a Kiehls guy.

The gels aren't terrible but they take up a lot more space in the shower :P

7 hours ago, BuckGup said:

If you are feeling dry you are either not rinsing it off enough or are buying too cheap of soap. Irish spring is basically dove but smells manly

I always found Irish Springs didn't wash off as easily.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Cut that shit out. Irish Springs is terrible soap. It might smell "manly", but it in no way compares to Dove. Dove is superior, by far, over Irish Springs (aside from aesthetic preference on how they smell).

Trust me, I have dry skin, and using Irish Springs instantly kills my skin (whether my hands or body), whereas Dove is like washing with clouds filled with love and happiness.

Though personally I use Body Wash for the shower (Old Spice Hydro Wash is my first choice - great for dry skin). For washing my hands, I'll use whatever is available, Dove (or other high quality bar soap), or liquid soap.

I've never been a huge fan of either Dove or Irish Springs, and I've used both for a couple years each. Totally with you on tit drying out the skin, but I didn't find Dove that much better. It runs out way too quickly.

Body wash is also pretty bad for the environment though, if you get the kind with those "scrubbing bubbles" in it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't use body wash I use tone bar soap have for years, most body washes irritate my skin so switching over isn't an option and it is far more cost effective anyway.

But if you want the snarky yet correct response because people still buy them :P 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Body wash is also pretty bad for the environment though, if you get the kind with those "scrubbing bubbles" in it.

Are you talking about those small "micro beads"? Many companies and retailers are actually banning them, due to the environmental impact (they're so small that most filtering systems don't properly catch them).

Personally I've never used a body wash that had them.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It might be weird but I like the "dry" feeling after using bar soap. it makes me feel clean. it also goes away after an hour.

I also don't mind gel or bar, i'll just use whatevers in the shower.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

I have yet to find a liquid soap that gives the same cleansed feel as a good old bar of soap. Plus, bar soaps can be used all over your body. I've never known a person to put liquid hand soap all over their body. 

1 minute ago, codesidian said:

I have yet to find a liquid soap that gives the same cleansed feel as a good old bar of soap. Plus, bar soaps can be used all over your body. I've never known a person to put liquid hand soap all over their body. 

Not liquid hand soap, but many people use liquid body wash. You could use hand soap in the same way (it just wouldn't be quite as good).

Use both but still prefer a nice solid bar of soap.

Body wash seems terribly wasteful (and therefore expensive) in comparison plus it doesn't seem to work as well where I live (fairly hard water).

I also find that the bottles that body wash stuff comes in are terribly designed for actual use in a shower - it should be able to hang upside down, open, for the duration of the shower without dripping out until I squeeze out what I need. Haven't found anything that manages this (but I also haven't done extensive testing either so ho hum).

5 hours ago, davrosG5 said:

Use both but still prefer a nice solid bar of soap.

Body wash seems terribly wasteful (and therefore expensive) in comparison plus it doesn't seem to work as well where I live (fairly hard water).

I also find that the bottles that body wash stuff comes in are terribly designed for actual use in a shower - it should be able to hang upside down, open, for the duration of the shower without dripping out until I squeeze out what I need. Haven't found anything that manages this (but I also haven't done extensive testing either so ho hum).

The stuff I use (Old Spice Hydro Wash collection) does just that. The cap is on the bottom, and easily flips. So even though you could leave the cap open,

you don’t need to. Just open it to lather up your cloth/loofah,etc, flip cap shut, and be on your way. 

Honestly.... why use this barsoap.jpg.adf7778bee6410a73bc4d5f635786b5f.jpg

when u can use this barsoap2.png.10cc6e32b7134eec023ffb3b1aa772e5.png

I mean , isnt the hole point of the bottle and the cremy thng to help you and make ur life better? 

They literally come in like 100 odors like chocolate , coconut , vanilla and so on , they are user-friendly , they dont slip and fall on the floor every 5 seconds , they dont leave a disgusting leftover on the bottom , and they are not in any way in contact with bacteria or hair... 

And pls dont tell me u share ur bar soap with other people too...

There only purpose is to satisfy the inmates

Just now, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

Honestly.... why use this barsoap.jpg.adf7778bee6410a73bc4d5f635786b5f.jpg

when u can use this barsoap2.png.10cc6e32b7134eec023ffb3b1aa772e5.png

I mean , isnt the hole point of the bottle and the cremy thng to help you and make ur life better? 

They literally come in like 100 odors like chocolate , coconut , vanilla and so on , they are user-friendly , they dont slip and fall on the floor every 5 seconds , they dont leave a disgusting leftover on the bottom , and they are not in any way in contact with bacteria or hair... 

And pls dont tell me u share ur bar soap with other people too...

There only purpose is to satisfy the inmates

It's pretty simple my friend.

Soap: $10 for a 6-pack. OR maybe $4-5 for a high end single bar.

Liquid soap: $6 for a single bottle, that will last half as long as the bar.

Soap bars also come in hundreds of varieties and scents. Pretty much any scent you can get in liquid, someone makes in bar form also.

Those who can afford the overt luxury that is liquid soap (yes, liquid soap is a luxury item), are free to do so. However, many people prefer to save their money on soap and buy bars.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Those who can afford the overt luxury that is liquid soap (yes, liquid soap is a luxury item)

In what world would soap ever be considered luxury?

5 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

In what world would soap ever be considered luxury?

Do you know how luxury items work?

Bar of soap: Simple, effective, cheap: Not a luxury item

Liquid soap: complex to manufacture, expensive to purchase, not generally more effective than bar soap, but more convenient to use: Luxury item

It's a luxury item because it's a more expensive, more convenient thing, that does the same thing as a cheaper thing.

You're paying more for convenience. Therefore, luxury.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Do you know how luxury items work?

Bar of soap: Simple, effective, cheap: Not a luxury item

Liquid soap: complex to manufacture, expensive to purchase, not generally more effective than bar soap, but more convenient to use: Luxury item

It's a luxury item because it's a more expensive, more convenient thing, that does the same thing as a cheaper thing.

You're paying more for convenience. Therefore, luxury.

oversimplified...

18 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

I like bar soap...

I stopped liking bar soap after it was force fed to me at my shithole of a school.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

oversimplified...

How so?

Does it bother you that liquid soap is a luxury item?

Many things most of us on LTT Forums use every day are luxury items. Smartphones, laptops, consoles, HDTV's, etc.

Something being a luxury item isn't a bad thing. It just means it's not a basic necessity.

Basic necessity: single ply toilet paper

Luxury item: triple ply toilet paper

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

How so?

Does it bother you that liquid soap is a luxury item?

Many things most of us on LTT Forums use every day are luxury items. Smartphones, laptops, consoles, HDTV's, etc.

Something being a luxury item isn't a bad thing. It just means it's not a basic necessity.

Basic necessity: single ply toilet paper

Luxury item: triple ply toilet paper

you make me feel like a king now xD

4 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

you make me feel like a king now xD

Well, I assume (could be mistaken) that you live in a wealthy industrialized nation, where luxury goods are the norm.

I live in Canada, so we use luxury items literally all the time without second thought.

Well, I assume (could be mistaken) that you live in a wealthy industrialized nation, where luxury goods are the norm.

I live in Canada, so we use luxury items literally all the time without second thought.

arent rly like 98 out of100 countries what u just described? 

arent rly like 98 out of100 countries what u just described? 

No. There are certainly a lot of wealthy industrialized countries.

North America (Well, kinda, if you count Mexico, no offense @Misanthrope). Western Europe. Much of Eastern Europe. South East Asia (In particular: Japan, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, etc).

But places like India, most of the Middle East (Aside from maybe Israel, and I'm not really confident about how well the average person lives there), large swaths of Africa, Central and South America, etc, are economically not as well off as other countries.

But it's a complex discussion, so I won't get into the nitty gritty details.

Not to say that none of those countries can afford luxury goods, just not nearly to the same degree as someone from Canada or Germany can.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

North America (Well, kinda, if you count Mexico, no offense @Misanthrope). Western Europe. Much of Eastern Europe. South East Asia (In particular: Japan, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, etc).

But places like India, most of the Middle East (Aside from maybe Israel, and I'm not really confident about how well the average person lives there), large swaths of Africa, Central and South America, etc, are economically not as well off as other countries.

But it's a complex discussion, so I won't get into the nitty gritty details.

Not to say that none of those countries can afford luxury goods, just not nearly to the same degree as someone from Canada or Germany can.

we should be just glad we have our soaps! cheers* to them , no matter the color or form...

Have a nice one matey

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Well we are definitively above the equator squarely on the North Hemisphere of the American Continent. It's not even close to us as the "Central America"  and even some "South America" countries like Venezuela & Colombia, that are actually located North of the equator as well.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Well we are definitively above the equator squarely on the North Hemisphere of the American Continent. It's not even close to us as the "Central America"  and even some "South America" countries like Venezuela & Colombia, that are actually located North of the equator as well.

Oh - I didn't mean Geographically :P Mexico is solidly inside North America (Despite the fact that many Canadians and Americans forget this).

I meant more the socio-economic situation in Mexico. It's not poooooooooor, but the standard of living does leave a little to be desired.

Some people consider Mexico Third World, economically. I'm not sure I'd go that far, personally, but I digress.

Oh - I didn't mean Geographically :P Mexico is solidly inside North America (Despite the fact that many Canadians and Americans forget this).

I meant more the socio-economic situation in Mexico. It's not poooooooooor, but the standard of living does leave a little to be desired.

Some people consider Mexico Third World, economically. I'm not sure I'd go that far, personally, but I digress.

Actually even then we're just a bit out of the top 10 global economies at #15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

-------

Current Rig

-------