Hardline tubing sizes

BrodieH
Go to solution Solved by Redwood Tech.,

Don't attempt to bend it with just your hands. Find a surface that has an incline of the bending that you want, (you can 3D print this if you have access to a 3D printer) for the most clean bend.

This video explains it the best.

Im looking into buying a custom water cooling loop, i've picked out all of my parts but i'm unsure on what size tubing to get. Theres 10ml tubing and 12ml tubing. i hear that 10 ml tubing is easier to bend than 12 ml, but 12ml looks better. My build is going to be in the corsair 570x, which is a relatively big case, so i'm thinking 12ml will look better in that case but if i were doing a small form factor build 10ml would be better. What would you recommend? i'm aiming for something like the attached photo.

corsair 570x watercooled build.jpg

Whatever you prefer, just make sure your reservoirs and fittings support the tubing.

Strict Team Blue.

COO of a resale company; processor enthusiast; lover of LMG

1 minute ago, Redwood Tech. said:

Whatever you prefer, just make sure your reservoirs and fittings support the tubing.

I understand its up to preference, but ive never actually seen 10 or 12ml tubing in person. Im more of a first time builder when it comes to water cooling.

Alright, I'll recommend 12 mL, if your case is big enough.

Strict Team Blue.

5 minutes ago, Redwood Tech. said:

Alright, I'll recommend 12 mL, if your case is big enough.

Thanks. Since i've got a thread open, have you got any advice on bending the tubing? i would be buying PETG because of its more forgiving nature from what i've heard.

Don't attempt to bend it with just your hands. Find a surface that has an incline of the bending that you want, (you can 3D print this if you have access to a 3D printer) for the most clean bend.

This video explains it the best.

Strict Team Blue.

1 hour ago, BrodieH said:

Thanks. Since i've got a thread open, have you got any advice on bending the tubing? i would be buying PETG because of its more forgiving nature from what i've heard.

Picture you attached in the OP is a 16 mm outer diameter tubing. I've worked with both 16 mm and 12 mm and actually find 16 mm to be more forgiving in terms of heating. However the 12 mm bends with a tighter radius so may be better in tight spaces. For example my Define C system with 16 mm was a challenge, whereas in the quad-1080Ti system with space, it was a breeze. My current mini-ITX system is being built with a 12 mm tube, and its necessary for all the tight bends in this system

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 11:44 AM, For Science! said:

Picture you attached in the OP is a 16 mm outer diameter tubing. I've worked with both 16 mm and 12 mm and actually find 16 mm to be more forgiving in terms of heating. However the 12 mm bends with a tighter radius so may be better in tight spaces. For example my Define C system with 16 mm was a challenge, whereas in the quad-1080Ti system with space, it was a breeze. My current mini-ITX system is being built with a 12 mm tube, and its necessary for all the tight bends in this system

I just noticed in your writing thing at the bottom (I don't know what to call it) that you only recommend EK-Cryofuel. I was wandering what you think about primochill vue. I have seen from JayzTwoCents that it actually cleans your waterblocks (not that primochill claim that because they don't) So I was wandering if you have any thoughts on that.

20 minutes ago, BrodieH said:

I just noticed in your writing thing at the bottom (I don't know what to call it) that you only recommend EK-Cryofuel. I was wandering what you think about primochill vue. I have seen from JayzTwoCents that it actually cleans your waterblocks (not that primochill claim that because they don't) So I was wandering if you have any thoughts on that.

Primochill vue, while looks promising is still largely an unproven product. There is no MSDS available so there is no knowing what it is made of and therefore what its lifespan/compatibilty is. I would wait 1 year or so before being comfortable recommending or considering such a product. We know however that any sign of aluminium is bad for it at the moment.

Just now, For Science! said:

Primochill vue, while looks promising is still largely an unproven product. There is no MSDS available so there is no knowing what it is made of and therefore what its lifespan/compatibilty is. I would wait 1 year or so before being comfortable recommending or considering such a product. We know however that any sign of aluminium is bad for it at the moment.

OK thanks, ill wait before I think about getting any. I think jay is making a video in 6 months also to show how it holds up. He will probably make one after a year also so hopefully all is good :) The only thing I think might be a problem is that apparently it darkens over time, so hopefully that doesn't mean anything bad. At least it doesn't leave any of that silver shit in your blocks like mayhems aurora or at least not as we know of yet.