Is g sync worth my money?

charbel1011

I wanna get a monitor for my 1080 TI my limit is 600$ and im seeing a lot of options 1440p curved but they only have 1 flaw no g sync? is g sync worth it? or should i forget it and get 34 inch 1440p monitor with high refresh rate and no g sync?

Having tried freesync, I would say it's good to have but not worth paying 100 to 150$ more for. Gsync may be marginally better but I doubt it makes up the difference. A high refresh rate monitor already spares you from a lot of the tearing problems

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I would go with a smaller 27" 2560x1440 monitor with higher refresh rate and g-sync instead of a lower refresh rate 34" monitor.

The G-Sync argument really comes into play if you think you'll have a lot of refresh rate swings in games.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Absolutely get the ultra wide, gsync聽isn鈥檛 worth giving up 21:9 imo

Want to custom loop?聽 Ask me more if you are curious

20 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Would not pay more for G-sync no, I think most of those Ultrawides may have free-sync anyways if Navi is any good.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Would not pay more for G-sync no, I think most of those Ultrawides may have free-sync anyways if Navi is any good.

Now im stuck in another problem LOL im looking for 1440p ultrawide monitors and i can't find any good ones i found the lg聽https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC79G-B-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01LW5CGIS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1510351940&sr=8-7&keywords=lg+34+inch+ultrawide+monitor聽looks really nice but it's 1080p oh god

26 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

I wanna get a monitor for my 1080 TI my limit is 600$ and im seeing a lot of options 1440p curved but they only have 1 flaw no g sync? is g sync worth it? or should i forget it and get 34 inch 1440p monitor with high refresh rate and no g sync?

Yes, G-sync is 100% worth the money. This is coming from someone who has used both G-sync and Freesync.

It gets rid of screen tearing and micro stuttering and makes games look insanely smooth.

The problem with freesync, is the input delay. It's similar to normal V-sync in how your actions are delayed.

Using G-sync the response time is almost as fast as having no V-sync at all. However, when I play games on a free-sync monitor, I can clearly notice a delay in the time it takes my actions to occur.

Final point, G-sync doesn't cost $150 more lol. People who say that try to compare a lesser Free-sync monitor to a higher quality monitor that has G-sync.

A good G-sync monitor that I recommend is the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR or the聽ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

To me, it depends on a couple things. Like what resolution you are gaming at, what kind of framerates you are getting, and the refresh rate on the monitor you are gaming on. If you have a 1080 ti, and you're gaming in 4k , buying a 60hz monitor, g sync would be a waste of my because you can get right around 60fps on most games anyways.

Now if you were getting a 60hz monitor, and you're getting 40-50fps on most games, you would probably see noticeably smoother gameplay using g sync. Is it worth it? That really depends on your budget, and how much value you place on having another more fluid gameplay. I, myself, prefer g sync monitors but to someone on a stricter budget, it may not be the best way to go

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant聽| Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

6 minutes ago, itsthewizz said:

Yes, G-sync is 100% worth the money. This is coming from someone who has used both G-sync and Freesync.

It gets rid of screen tearing and micro stuttering and makes games look insanely smooth.

The problem with freesync, is the input delay. It's similar to normal V-sync in how your actions are delayed.

Using G-sync the response time is almost as fast as having no V-sync at all. However, when I play games on a free-sync monitor, I can clearly notice a delay in the time it takes my actions to occur.

Final point, G-sync doesn't cost $150 more lol. People who say that try to compare a lesser Free-sync monitor to a higher quality monitor that has G-sync.

A good G-sync monitor that I recommend is the ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR or the聽ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q.

Not a fan of the PG27Aq

EDIT: just realized were talking 1440p

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant聽| Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

Just now, PETRGangKing said:

Not a fan of the PG27AQ?

Never used it, isn't that one 1080p?

Just now, itsthewizz said:

No 4k. I just realized we were talking 1440p after posting and almost immediately edited. My bad

11 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Now im stuck in another problem LOL im looking for 1440p ultrawide monitors and i can't find any good ones i found the lg聽https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC79G-B-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/dp/B01LW5CGIS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1510351940&sr=8-7&keywords=lg+34+inch+ultrawide+monitor聽looks really nice but it's 1080p oh god

Ya if it's 144hz at that price it will be 1080p

that one is also TN, and since TN is trash please don't buy it lol, not sure if that Pixio one was TN actually...

This Acer one is IPS and 75Hz at under $600

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yvPzK8/acer-umcc0aa001-340-3440x1440-75hz-monitor-umcc0aa001

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, PETRGangKing said:

Not a fan of the PG27AQ?

Just now, itsthewizz said:

Just looked it up, it's 4K.

No, I'm more of a 1440p gamer because of the high refresh rates atm. I'm planning on getting a 4k 144hz monitor next year however.

2 minutes ago, itsthewizz said:

Just looked it up, it's 4K.

No, I'm more of a 1440p gamer because of the high refresh rates atm. I'm planning on getting a 4k 144hz monitor next year however.

Yeah me too. Right now I've got the PG27Aq and an LG IPS 4k w/freesync. I plan on retiring the LG and replacing it with the new 144hz when it drops

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Ya if it's 144hz at that price it will be 1080p

that one is also TN, and since TN is trash please don't buy it lol, not sure if that Pixio one was TN actually...

This Acer one is IPS and 75Hz at under $600

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yvPzK8/acer-umcc0aa001-340-3440x1440-75hz-monitor-umcc0aa001

the PG278QR is a TN, but it's the best monitor I've ever used. I have both it and the PG279Q (IPS) and I can tell you that when gaming I hardly notice the difference.
Slight color inaccuracy, but with a faster response time and $100 less. Not to mention I've never had an issue with the viewing angles of it.

2 minutes ago, PETRGangKing said:

Yeah me too. Right now I've got the PG27Aq and an LG IPS 4k w/freesync. I plan on retiring the LG and replacing it with the new 144hz when it drops

Yeah, for 4K gaming I've just been using my TV whenever I wanted to relax and couch-game.

44 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

as a filthy casual, to answer this straight up: NO.聽 GSync way overpriced.聽 That extra $200-$300 for GSync I can think of a lot of other things to spend that on even if the performance isn't as good.聽聽聽

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090聽- LG C2 OLED 42"聽

the PG278QR is a TN, but it's the best monitor I've ever used. I have both it and the PG279Q (IPS) and I can tell you that when gaming I hardly notice the difference.
Slight color inaccuracy, but with a faster response time and $100 less. Not to mention I've never had an issue with the viewing angles of it.

Either the IPS is low end, or the TN is the best ever, but in general TN is pretty bad compared to a decent IPS display.

In regaurds to that category as well it's only $399 starting for a 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync display

Spoiler

1 minute ago, itsthewizz said:

Yeah, for 4K gaming I've just been using my TV whenever I wanted to relax and couch-game.

So what monitor should i buy if i want to get g sync 1440p and 144hz refresh rate with ips panel? I dont want 75hz or tn panel

Just now, charbel1011 said:

So what monitor should i buy if i want to get g sync 1440p and 144hz refresh rate with ips panel? I dont want 75hz or tn panel

The PG279Q, however don't automatically knock the TN version (PG278QR).聽
The PG278QR is $100 less than the PG279Q, but it's has almost as good color accuracy, and faster response time.聽
So I personally would only recommend the PG279Q if you also want to do content creation that demand color accuracy such as photography.

3 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

if you need those exact specs then

AGON AG271QG

Acer Predator XB271HU

ViewSonic聽XG2703-GS

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090聽- LG C2 OLED 42"聽

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Either the IPS is low end, or the TN is the best ever, but in general TN is pretty bad compared to a decent IPS display.

In regaurds to that category as well it's only $399 starting for a 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync display

It's a high end TN, I personally dislike TN's but I heard this one was really good and it is.聽
Yeah, it's technically worse with the colors when compared to it's IPS counterpart, however for $100-$150 less it's a far better value.

7 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

You should just save money and get a free-sync display, this one's $470 vs $599 for G-sync

Pixio has a $399 version, standard korean monitor warnings may apply
https://pixiogaming.com/products/new-px277

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvRbBP
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvRbBP/by_merchant/

Monitor: AOC - AG271QG 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor聽 ($599.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor聽 ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1069.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-10 17:40 EST-0500

Spoiler

It's a high end TN, I personally dislike TN's but I heard this one was really good and it is.聽
Yeah, it's technically worse with the colors when compared to it's IPS counterpart, however for $100-$150 less it's a far better value.

free-sync is the true value answer though, as posted above

Spoiler