Windows Server 2012 R2 force smart card

Simon771

I came upon a little problem with new terminal servers that I'm working on.

When I use RDP to connect from my PC to Windows Server 2012, it brings me to rdp session but by default it's asking me for my username and password credentials (AD credentials).

What I want is, that when user type server name in Remote desktop connection, it will bring him RDP session and ask for smart card PIN instead of domain user credentials.

We have that somehow working on Windows Server 2008, but can't figure out how to do it on Server 2012 R2.

I did use Group Policy to disable any other logon than SmartCard. So even if user tried to type his AD user and password it will ask him to log on with smart card. But to do so, you need to always make few additional clicks. 

Is there any way, that it would ask for smart card PIN as default?

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

• 4 weeks later...

Are the computers registered with a Domain? it should just do it by default

You might try and create a new Certificate Template.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000