Shaking GPU

Jaga848

Okay, so I have a Zotac GTX 1050 ti OC edition. It has 2 fans. Today I noticed that the furthest right part of the graphichs card is shaking a bit (like a small vibration), in comparison to the left part which is perfectly still. I wiggled it around a bit to see if it would go away, tried to push it in a bit, but it's properly seated. There's no unusual rattling sound (although, while I was pushing it, the right fan did make a sort of a rattling sound in some positions, however it doesn't when I don't touch the gpu). Is this normal?

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

Zotac Gtx 1050 ti 4 gb OC

8 gb Kingston Fury HyperX DDR4

1 TB Western Digital Purple HDD

3 minutes ago, Jaga848 said:

Okay, so I have a Zotac GTX 1050 ti OC edition. It has 2 fans. Today I noticed that the furthest right part of the graphichs card is shaking a bit (like a small vibration), in comparison to the left part which is perfectly still. I wiggled it around a bit to see if it would go away, tried to push it in a bit, but it's properly seated. There's no unusual rattling sound (although, while I was pushing it, the right fan did make a sort of a rattling sound in some positions, however it doesn't when I don't touch the gpu). Is this normal?

Check if the fans are damaged, if the fan is damaged it might be heavier on one side causing it to bounce and vibrate while spinning.

17 minutes ago, IziBartek said:

Check if the fans are damaged, if the fan is damaged it might be heavier on one side causing it to bounce and vibrate while spinning.

How am I supposed to check that?

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

Just now, Jaga848 said:

How am I supposed to check that?

Try taking the GPU out and spin the fan. If it vibrates in your hand its the fans fault.

I agree, sounds like a damaged fan, or at least one with funny bearings/fan. It can be checked visually, by generally looking at it, from an angle and physically by moving the fan making the noise yourself.

My PC (Known as TRX):

—CPU: TR 1900X

—Ram: 16GB Corsair Dom Plats "ROG Edition"

—Graphics: GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

—Motherboard: Asrock X399 Taichi

—Storage: 512GB Sabrent Rocket, 2.5TBs HDD

—CPU Cooling: Cooler Master ML360 TR4 RGB Edition

—Case: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

—PSU: Corsair AX860

4 minutes ago, Mat_95 said:

I agree, sounds like a damaged fan, or at least one with funny bearings/fan. It can be checked visually, by generally looking at it, from an angle and physically by moving the fan making the noise yourself.

Could there be any problems in the future if I left the gpu as it is? My temps are normal, there's no sound, only slight vibration.

Gigabyte GA B250 - HD3P

Intel i5 7400 3.00 GHz

3 minutes ago, Jaga848 said:

Could there be any problems in the future if I left the gpu as it is? My temps are normal, there's no sound, only slight vibration.

Depending on usage, and how bad the warp of the fan /bearings may be, it could go bad, I would recommend getting a replacement, via RMA or such, Temps may be okay now, but that fan will fail sooner or later. ?

My PC (Known as TRX):

—CPU: TR 1900X

—Ram: 16GB Corsair Dom Plats "ROG Edition"

—Graphics: GTX 1080 Ti FTW3

—Motherboard: Asrock X399 Taichi

—Storage: 512GB Sabrent Rocket, 2.5TBs HDD

—CPU Cooling: Cooler Master ML360 TR4 RGB Edition

—Case: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

—PSU: Corsair AX860

• 3 months later...

The fix for me was as simple as stripping the metallic zotac logo and then aligning it in the center..it was not aligner properly

On 11/9/2017 at 5:16 PM, Jaga848 said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t take that chance. If it is a defected fan in the long run things might bottom out real fast. Even if temps are normal now, a flawed fan is still a flawed fan and I would absolutely RMA it. Having good solid working fans for a non watercooled GPU are vital. I know having to rma is a pain but you don’t want to be stuck with a defected rattling GPU. Find out if it’s a fan problem first then go from there. Good luck