i3-8100 + GTX 1060 vs i5-8400 + GTX 1050 Ti

2 minutes ago, FaceNorVoice said:

I understand what you’re saying but how does this add to me deciding if I should go with the i3 or i5? I’m not trying to be rude btw!

It could be relevant, it could be totally irrelevant. 
 I just like to throw out all possibilities for people to think about - it's a shit feeling buying hardware and then 2 weeks later realising you should have chosen something else, that's why I did a TON of research for my new build.

If you care about upgrading , take it into consideration. If you don't , ignore it.

Other than upgrade paths the only benefit of Ryzen over Intel is the fact any Ryen 5 or 7 chip has Hyperthreading, so you'll (in most cases) get better compute performance (yes, that includes stuff like editing and content creation)

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

5 minutes ago, IziBartek said:

If youre going to be doing any type of editing with any program go for a better CPU. Im not saying that the i3 is bad. The i3 is insanely good for all that too just the i5 is better and if you want better gaming performance go for the 1060 over the 1050ti. Its up to you at this point.

Okay I feel like I’m starting to annoy you all a little with all the new questions I’m coming up with! So here’s my final thought:

The ideal choice is i5 + 1060 (I’m excluding Ryzen 5 for now). I will be going for the i5 since a 6 core can hold up well for a good 5-6 years with any GPU + it gives excellent entry level performance to video/photo editing! Now the question is 1050 Ti or 1060. The 1050 Ti can easily run (let’s say) Battlefield 1 at 90 FPS on low settings FXAA disabled (have seen benchmarks). Since I don’t mind gaming at low settings I think the 1060 won’t be worth it for it’s price point (especially with the miners out there). So my final answer is:

i5-8400 + GTX 1050 Ti

I’ve got to go study for tomorrow now! Thanks for the help all!

1 minute ago, FaceNorVoice said:

I’ve taken a look at Ryzen, but what are you trying to tell me? Because sure, in this topic I’m asking if I should go for the i3 or i5. But that’s not all! On the other hand I’m asking if it’s better to go with a better CPU or a better GPU in my case. So it comes down to: i3 or (i5/R5). Would you recommend me going with anything better than the i3 AT ALL? Excluding both core i5 and Ryzen 5! That’s my question.

It's really hard to say, all we can do is tell you what the benefits of each are, nobody can decide for you.

A better CPU is better at lower resolutions because the only limiting factor is how fast the CPU can order frames to be drawn - at a resolution like 1080p it's not hard for a GPU to throw out frames, but something has to tell the GPU what to draw (in this case, the CPU). At lower resolution, the CPU will likely be the bottleneck.

A better GPU can work better at higher resolutions because the CPU doesn't really have much of a harder job than at 1080p.

The situation you described is totally something that's preferable to you.

On one hand, the I3 + 1060 will push out more frames, because the i3 is still fast enough to keep up with the 1060. You'll also get the extra 2GB of VRAM. For games, this wins. However, for compute performance and general computer speed, the I5 + 1050Ti would win.

The 8th gen I5s are great compute chips and smash gaming - but a 1050Ti isn't the most powerful of cards. It'll do great at 1080p, you'll be able to max out some lighter titles, and get mid-high settings on others. The issue with the 1050Ti is GPUs tend to become outdated much quicker than CPUs - you'll find it will start to be unable to handle mid-high settings on new titles.

I'd say the I3 + 1060 would be better. The only reason you should consider the I5 + 1050Ti is if you really want to make use of the 2 more cores the I5 offers. The I5 will stay relevant for quite a bit longer than the I3 however - we're moving into a market where 6 and 8 core chips are standard - programs will start optimizing for more cores, meaning the i5 will age better.

Again, your choice, that's just how it'll pan out.

Main Rig

Okay I feel like I’m starting to annoy you all a little with all the new questions I’m coming up with! So here’s my final thought:

The ideal choice is i5 + 1060 (I’m excluding Ryzen 5 for now). I will be going for the i5 since a 6 core can hold up well for a good 5-6 years with any GPU + it gives excellent entry level performance to video/photo editing! Now the question is 1050 Ti or 1060. The 1050 Ti can easily run (let’s say) Battlefield 1 at 90 FPS on low settings FXAA disabled (have seen benchmarks). Since I don’t mind gaming at low settings I think the 1060 won’t be worth it for it’s price point (especially with the miners out there). So my final answer is:

i5-8400 + GTX 1050 Ti

I’ve got to go study for tomorrow now! Thanks for the help all!

The thing is, you might not care about the 1050Ti's performance now, but you should consider how it'll age. It can handle mid settings in a lot of games today, but that's going to decrease over time as new games and new content comes out. A year or two from now it'll struggle to run anything at medium settings.

As for the 1060 price, it 's not that bad. I think mostly the miners are going for RX580's rather than 1060s, the 1060 price isn't that badly gouged.

With an I5 + 1060 i'd say you have a much better balanced build. Most people would just go I3 + 1050Ti for balance, you've offered two differently balanced options so it's hard to say.

Main Rig

3 minutes ago, Armakar said:

It's really hard to say, all we can do is tell you what the benefits of each are, nobody can decide for you.

A better CPU is better at lower resolutions because the only limiting factor is how fast the CPU can order frames to be drawn - at a resolution like 1080p it's not hard for a GPU to throw out frames, but something has to tell the GPU what to draw (in this case, the CPU). At lower resolution, the CPU will likely be the bottleneck.

A better GPU can work better at higher resolutions because the CPU doesn't really have much of a harder job than at 1080p.

The situation you described is totally something that's preferable to you.

On one hand, the I3 + 1060 will push out more frames, because the i3 is still fast enough to keep up with the 1060. You'll also get the extra 2GB of VRAM. For games, this wins. However, for compute performance and general computer speed, the I5 + 1050Ti would win.

The 8th gen I5s are great compute chips and smash gaming - but a 1050Ti isn't the most powerful of cards. It'll do great at 1080p, you'll be able to max out some lighter titles, and get mid-high settings on others. The issue with the 1050Ti is GPUs tend to become outdated much quicker than CPUs - you'll find it will start to be unable to handle mid-high settings on new titles.

I'd say the I3 + 1060 would be better. The only reason you should consider the I5 + 1050Ti is if you really want to make use of the 2 more cores the I5 offers. The I5 will stay relevant for quite a bit longer than the I3 however - we're moving into a market where 6 and 8 core chips are standard - programs will start optimizing for more cores, meaning the i5 will age better.

Again, your choice, that's just how it'll pan out.

This got me thinking again. That’s very informative, I’ll post an update (or ask for advise again) when it’s actually time for me to order parts. Thanks again!

This got me thinking again. That’s very informative, I’ll post an update (or ask for advise again) when it’s actually time for me to order parts. Thanks again!

No prob, just ask here or post again if you have more questions. There's a reason we all reply - because we love tech and will frankly talk about it for hours haha

Gl with studying, should probs get some done myself :)

Main Rig

3 minutes ago, Armakar said:

you've offered two differently balanced options so it's hard to say.

That’s actually kind of funny. My stupidity makes me have to make a difficult choice. ?

2 minutes ago, Armakar said:

No prob, just ask here or post again if you have more questions. There's a reason we all reply - because we love tech and will frankly talk about it for hours haha

Gl with studying, should probs get some done myself :)

:)

At 1080p, it's not often that even the Ryzen 1200 bottlenecks the 1060 6GB. So the 8100 + 1060 6GB / RX 580 makes more sense, imo. 

Just now, seon123 said:

At 1080p, it's not often that even the Ryzen 1200 bottlenecks the 1060 6GB. So the 8100 + 1060 6GB / RX 580 makes more sense, imo. 

It’s not about bottlenecks! It’s about having a better experience/being capable of doing more with the i5 over the i3! But I really got to go now. Can’t answer anymore!

It’s not about bottlenecks! It’s about having a better experience/being capable of doing more with the i5 over the i3! But I really got to go now. Can’t answer anymore!

You'll get a significantly better gaming experience with the 1060 Vs the 1050 Ti. At 75Hz, either CPU is more than adequate. 

What will you do with the extra cores of the 8400? The 8100 can do the same things as the 8400, it'll just use more time. 

Don't feel obliged to answer immediately, I don't expect an immediate reply. 

3 hours ago, FaceNorVoice said:

Which pairing would make more sense? Assuming I would ONLY play games on my computer with Discord and maybe a few chrome tabs open and running a 1080p 75Hz IPS monitor?

I don’t care for ultra graphics, so would the 1060 be worth it for me? Really, I have been playing on low settings all my life and have NO problem with the guality whatsoever. Games I play most:

Rainbow Six Siege

Battlefield 1

Rust

PUBG

CSGO

Oh BTW i3-8100 + 1060 pairing costs exactly €55,- more!

That i5 8400 is a REALLY good chip. I'd personally feel comfortable throwing an even higher end GPU with it. If you have the budget and are planning on upgrading later, I'd go with the i5 8400. Its got 6 cores, boosts fairly high, and I believe it will remain relevant for the next few years!

• 9 months later...