i3-8100 + GTX 1060 vs i5-8400 + GTX 1050 Ti

Which pairing would make more sense? Assuming I would ONLY play games on my computer with Discord and maybe a few chrome tabs open and running a 1080p 75Hz IPS monitor?

I don’t care for ultra graphics, so would the 1060 be worth it for me? Really, I have been playing on low settings all my life and have NO problem with the guality whatsoever. Games I play most:

Rainbow Six Siege

Battlefield 1

Rust

PUBG

CSGO

Oh BTW i3-8100 + 1060 pairing costs exactly €55,- more!

1 minute ago, IziBartek said:

The i5 needs a 8th gen mobo though...

Yes I know..?

I’m asking which pairing is better/you would recommend me?

1 minute ago, FaceNorVoice said:

Yes I know..?

I’m asking which pairing is better/you would recommend me?

Ideally the i5 and the GTX 1060 would be fine together but if it's gaming - i3 and 1060 but computing power is i5 and 1050 ti.

Any will be fine.

Well, the 1050ti would be very good for 1080p gaming and youre getting a newer generation chipset out of the 8400 so I personally would go for the i5 + 1050ti

Just now, IziBartek said:

Well, the 1050ti would be very good for 1080p gaming and youre getting a newer generation chipset out of the 8400 so I personally would go for the i5 + 1050ti

You realise the i3-8100 is also new right? Just in case you didn’t notice! Why the i5 though, would the 6 cores result in smoother gameplay? Or the better GPU!

Just now, FaceNorVoice said:

You realise the i3-8100 is also new right? Just in case you didn’t notice! Why the i5 though, would the 6 cores result in smoother gameplay? Or the better GPU!

Oh.. I didnt realise actually... The 1060 would probably be better (if its the 6gb were talking about) but if its 3gb I doubt you will see major difference between it and the 1050ti

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

Ideally the i5 and the GTX 1060 would be fine together but if it's gaming - i3 and 1060 but computing power is i5 and 1050 ti.

Any will be fine.

I really can’t decide! The i5 + 1060 is tempting, but I got this strange feeling that I would be wasting money if I went with the 1060, since I don’t care about higher settings you know?

What would be the benefit of a 6-core i5 and a GTX 1050 Ti at low settings though? What would the i5 give me that the i3 couldn’t?

I really can’t decide! The i5 + 1060 is tempting, but I got this strange feeling that I would be wasting money if I went with the 1060, since I don’t care about higher settings you know?

What would be the benefit of a 6-core i5 and a GTX 1050 Ti at low settings though? What would the i5 give me that the i3 couldn’t?

I5/1050ti, it’s cheaper, and cpus last longer than gpus

Well first off is the 1060 a 3gb or 6gb? If were talking about the 3gb just go for the 4gb and save your money.

In terms of gaming - not much. In terms of actual computing the i5 is way better.

Just now, IziBartek said:

Well first off is the 1060 a 3gb or 6gb? If were talking about the 3gb just go for the 4gb and save your money.

It’s a 6GB. Yeah I felt like anything below 4 is not good if I ever feel like playing “storyline games” or non first person shooter triple A games.

2 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

I5/1050ti, it’s cheaper, and cpus last longer than gpus

Yeah actully I’ve been thinking like, if I ever feel like upgrading my GPU the i5 will support many high end GPU’s without (too much) bottlenecking.

If you don't care about settings, i'd go with the I5. 

However, what about Ryzen?  It's still a solid option even with 8th gen - remember with 8th gen chips your buying into a dead platform.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

3 minutes ago, 1kv said:

In terms of gaming - not much. In terms of actual computing the i5 is way better.

So with actual computing you mean things like video editing will be smoother if you (let’s say) drag a clip through the timeline right? Will it also lower input lag,

So with actual computing you mean things like video editing will be smoother if you (let’s say) drag a clip through the timeline right? Will it also lower input lag,

Yes, because the i5 has more cores and more processing power.

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

If you don't care about settings, i'd go with the I5. 

Yeah I think I’ll go with the i5.

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

However, what about Ryzen?  It's still a solid option even with 8th gen -

I really don’t do anything else than gaming, along with Discord and Chrome running in the background and Intel is better than Ryzen in gaming, I assume everyone knows that by now. So going with like a Ryzen 5 1600 would not only not benefit me in gaming, but also won’t serve me good any other way. Also, it’s more expensive than the i5-8400 and an H310 motherboard.

5 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Remember with 8th gen chips your buying into a dead platform.

Explain?

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Yes, because the i5 has more cores and more processing power.

Sounds good l:)

2 minutes ago, FaceNorVoice said:

It’s a 6GB. Yeah I felt like anything below 4 is not good if I ever feel like playing “storyline games” or non first person shooter triple A games.

Your main priority is gaming so IMO you should get the 1060 6gb for better graphics and fps. If youre looking into doing video editing or stuff like that, a good processor like the 8400 would be ideal. i3+1060 will be very good for gaming and perfect for general computing. i5+1050ti is what will be better for general computing and video editing while still being excellent for gaming. But the i5+1060 would be the best option for you if you could spend a bit more.

6 minutes ago, IziBartek said:

Your main priority is gaming so IMO you should get the 1060 6gb for better graphics and fps. If youre looking into doing video editing or stuff like that, a good processor like the 8400 would be ideal. i3+1060 will be very good for gaming and perfect for general computing. i5+1050ti is what will be better for general computing and video editing while still being excellent for gaming. But the i5+1060 would be the best option for you if you could spend a bit more.

Why is it SO HARD to decide! D:

What about streaming. If we put away the NVENC encoder for a second, will the i5-8400 be able to stream using the x264 CPU encoder 720p60 at 3500 kbps?

And how about photo editing with a demanding program like Adobe photoshop. Would a better GPU or better CPU benefit more?

9 minutes ago, FaceNorVoice said:

Yeah I think I’ll go with the i5.

I really don’t do anything else than gaming, along with Discord and Chrome running in the background and Intel is better than Ryzen in gaming, I assume everyone knows that by now. So going with like a Ryzen 5 1600 would not only not benefit me in gaming, but also won’t serve me good any other way. Also, it’s more expensive than the i5-8400 and an H310 motherboard.

Explain?

People will tell you this is just a rumor, but keep in mind rumors that circulate on here are often true, and I've never understood why people instantly dismiss them.

The rumor is, next gen intel chips will start using a new socket, because they will be 8-core. This means people using Z370 (Myself included) get shafted, and if you want any new chip from that point on, you'll have to get a new motherboard.

If you care about upgrading, you should think about going Intel. I mean they released Z270 like not even a year before they released a new chipset with new chips that don't work on Z270, even though Asus claims they could work with Z270.

Main Rig

What about streaming. If we put away the NVENC encoder for a second, will the i5-8400 be able to stream using the x264 CPU encoder 720p60 at 3500 kbps?

And how about photo editing with a demanding program like Adobe photoshop. Would a better GPU or better CPU benefit more?

If youre going to be doing any type of editing with any program go for a better CPU. Im not saying that the i3 is bad. The i3 is insanely good for all that too just the i5 is better and if you want better gaming performance go for the 1060 over the 1050ti. Its up to you at this point.

Again, have you taken a look at Ryzen?

For high end gaming  and multitasking, It's hard not to reccomend the 8700K, but for i3-i5 builds Ryzen still competes heavily. 

Main Rig

2 minutes ago, Armakar said:

People will tell you this is just a rumor, but keep in mind rumors that circulate on here are often true, and I've never understood why people instantly dismiss them.

The rumor is, next gen intel chips will start using a new socket, because they will be 8-core. This means people using Z370 (Myself included) get shafted, and if you want any new chip from that point on, you'll have to get a new motherboard.

If you care about upgrading, you should think about going Intel. I mean they released Z270 like not even a year before they released a new chipset with new chips that don't work on Z270, even though Asus claims they could work with Z270.

I understand what you’re saying but how does this add to me deciding if I should go with the i3 or i5? I’m not trying to be rude btw!

2 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Again, have you taken a look at Ryzen?

For high end gaming  and multitasking, It's hard not to reccomend the 8700K, but for i3-i5 builds Ryzen still competes heavily. 

I’ve taken a look at Ryzen, but what are you trying to tell me? Because sure, in this topic I’m asking if I should go for the i3 or i5. But that’s not all! On the other hand I’m asking if it’s better to go with a better CPU or a better GPU in my case. So it comes down to: i3 or (i5/R5). Would you recommend me going with anything better than the i3 AT ALL? Excluding both core i5 and Ryzen 5! That’s my question.