Intel GPUs are coming

tsk

By now you've all read the news about Intel CPU's with Radeon graphics on the same PCB as well as them snapping up Raja Koduri from AMD. 

With this news also comes a big, but subtle announcement from Intel; they are gonna start building dedicated graphics solutions. 

In this position, Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments.

Can this mean future gaming graphics cards from Intel? 

Possibly. But it certainly means Intel is seeing the huge potential of HPC and GPUs important role in that. 

Now my little birds at Intel tell me all of this is a result of one competitor Intel sees as a serious threat; Nvidia. 

The GV100 compute chip from Nvidia sits alone at the throne in the Compute space, and Nvidia is making some serious money selling it. 

Any thoughts on Intels future role in the GPU market? 

PS!  This thread revolves around Intels future plans to join the GPU market, not Raja Koduri joining the ranks or the recently announced EMIB board mixing Radeon and Intel. 

Source

You beat me! This is the best thing to happen in a long time :) 

AnnandTech article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12017/intel-to-develop-discrete-gpus-hires-raja-koduri-as-chief-architect

Obviously if this comes to be, it will take a while before a GPU would come to market, hopefully they will make gamer oriented GPUs. Can’t wait to buy an intel GPU, and actually bring competition back into the space. This is getting interesting.

I must be hallucinating, Raja left for intel, AMD working with Intel, and then Intel GPUs? Maybe nvidia will make a CPU and we will have 3 competitors in both markets lol

edit: From the wording of the article I expect them to make a full stack of both consumer and HPC products. And I don’t see why they would make a GPU and not reuse the chip in a gaming card to make a larger ROI on all of the r&d this is going to take.

Larrabee!

Larrabee!

Larrabee!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Here in 10 years we'll have a computer rocking a nVidia CPU and an Intel GPU for the lulz the way things are moving.

Intel Iris Pro 80 Ti

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

-snip-

It will certainly bring some much needed competition, just crossing fingers for that gaming GPU. 

If you hate intel for their pricing now just wait until they start making CPU's that gimp the opposing companies GPU performance, forcing you to either lose performance or pay extra to have both an intel CPU and GPU.

I hope this doesn't come to fruition, but I can't imagine it happening any other way.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

15 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Larrabee!

Larrabee!

Larrabee!

From the actual wording on Intels website, they say they are expanding their iGPu lineup into high end discrete graphics solutions which seem to imply normal gPUs as well, along with compute solutions

Intel has tried this, what, 3 times before? We aren't going to see consumer cards. AMD & Nvidia can prevent that with IP lawsuits.  However, this is a Tesla competitor in the HPC/ML/AI space. That's something Intel has patents within the space to do, and they've been losing customers to the really focused GPU compute setups.

However, it'll be 3-4 years before we see anything. And Raja has to actually deliver a product that competes with Nvidia.

We probably won't see anything come into the market from this until probably 2020. 

By that time my wallet will be wide open as I intend on building a top end HEDT system around the same time.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Now with Intel in the game, we will literally have teams Red, Green and Blue (RGB). What a time to be alive. 

Truly a great time in computing.

idk

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Intel has tried this, what, 3 times before? We aren't going to see consumer cards. AMD & Nvidia can prevent that with IP lawsuits.  However, this is a Tesla competitor in the HPC/ML/AI space. That's something Intel has patents within the space to do, and they've been losing customers to the really focused GPU compute setups.

However, it'll be 3-4 years before we see anything. And Raja has to actually deliver a product that competes with Nvidia.

We all saw how that turned out. 

We got an overclocked Fury X with HBM2.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Since intel will be able to spend more on research and development than AMD, we might have more competition 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Now with Intel in the game, we will literally have teams Red, Green and Blue (RGB). What a time to be alive. 

I guess we really have "RGB'd all the things!". 

Right now the GPU market is expanding quickly with more workloads suited for them, so it makes sense. And from the wording on Intels website it seems they will make consumer cards.

anyway, if they are going to manufacture the chips, why not throw some of them in consumer cards to make a bigger return on R&D? Obviously it’s not quite that simple but it’s not like they have to design a separate chip

to target consumers, and if they can squeeze more revenue from developing a new architecture they I don’t see why they wouldn’t.

If this means a Surface Gaming tablet, I'm definitely in. I would be even more excited if they focused on improving their iGPU's because there hasn't been any improvements recently.

Raja leaves AMD for Intel, Intel makes a dedicated GPU, what is even is life? What does it mean?

2 minutes ago, Inkz said:

Raja leaves AMD for Intel, Intel makes a dedicated GPU, what is even is life? What does it mean?

It means we're yet to see an even shittier stock cooling on reference cards once Intel boards in GPU market.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

It means we're yet to see an even shittier stock cooling on reference cards once Intel boards in GPU market.

I can  just see the "INTEL EXTREME EDITION GPUS!!!!" So extreme they don't even come with a cooler and expects you to bring your own.

Intel had discrete gpus back then, it's the Intel 740.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, Inkz said:

I can  just see the "INTEL EXTREME EDITION GPUS!!!!" So extreme they don't even come with a cooler and expects you to bring your own.

Obviously the unlocked k models of the Iris Pro will only come with the PCB, you go and find yourself some damn water block for it if you want to use it xD

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Obviously the unlocked k models of the Iris Pro will only come with the PCB, you go and find yourself some damn water block for it if you want to use it xD

Don't forget that they'll only be overclockable on an X or Z series board. Otherwise, expect the Intel GPU to run at some very conservative base frequency. ;)