hi all !

iam upgrading my laptop CPU and searching for the best thermal paste that last long and good for overclocking (also overheating)

i have 2 options:

Gelid GC-Extreme 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GELID-GC-EXTREME-1g-Small-Thermal-Paste-Compound-Grease-CPU-GPU-Heatsink-Cooler/151798183122?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

IC Diamond 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IC-Diamond-7-Carat-Thermal-Compound-1-5-Grams-by-Innovation-Cooling/132010428254?epid=1500524174&hash=item1ebc6f475e:g:e2MAAOSwY45UMMOT

any opinions will be more than appreciated.

thanks alot

Application of the thermal paste is still more important and I would not use IC Diamond for a laptop... unnecesarily expensive and hard to apply properly due to its consistency.

Just get MX-4 and be done with it.

even if you can overclock your laptop CPU, i wouldn't really do it. overclocking raises heat output quite a bit and i don't think better TIM would be enough to properly cool your CPU with a tiny laptop heatsink.

i will be installing a huge custom made copper heatsink that i ordered from a mechanical engineer, so there will be so much copper to conduct heat, but i need the best thermal paste for heat transfer.

Thermal paste generally only makes a difference of a few C, unless you're stock stuff is really, really crappy.

For OC'ing you'd want to upgrade the actual cooling solution, which is not easily done on a laptop, rather than just putting "good" thermal paste on there.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Don't use IC Diamond on a laptop. Apparently the diamonds in the paste will scratch the die and damage it. 

I've had great results with CLU, but you've got to put nail polish on the capacitors around the die to insulate them as the paste is a liquid metal.

MX-4 is a good alternative and isn't a pain to apply.

Personally i use arctic silver 5, as it has good heat transfer and is easy to apply.

I use both MX-4 and Arctic silver 5, i do say i prefer the AS5 over the MX-4 but its not a world of difference IMHO, i even use AS5 and MX4 when delidding with great results.

guys, you are not commenting on those two thermal paste was limited to... please be patient and re-read my post considering only those 2 thermal pastes i listed.

thanks again

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

guys, you are not commenting on those two thermal paste was limited to... please be patient and re-read my post considering only those 2 thermal pastes i listed.

thanks again

If you're literally limited to those two options, don't go with IC diamond on a bare die. Your only option I guess will be Gelid

Which laptop are you planning on overclocking? Even the few designed for it don't have cooling solutions that can handle it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Which laptop are you planning on overclocking? Even the few designed for it don't have cooling solutions that can handle it.

i will be installing a huge custom made copper heatsink that i ordered from a mechanical engineer, so there will be so much copper to conduct heat, but i need the best thermal paste for heat transfer.

my laptop is : MSI GE620DX

specs:

i7 2760 QM

16GB 1333MHz ram

geforce gt 555m

2TB SSHD

• 5 months later...
On 11/9/2017 at 10:46 AM, OCD-FREAK said:

my laptop is : MSI GE620DX

specs:

i7 2760 QM

16GB 1333MHz ram

geforce gt 555m

2TB SSHD

For the price of a custom copper heatsink you could just get a new laptop with better performance... 

I wouldn't go further than new paste. No need for custom heatsinks and things 

That's an F in the profile pic

23 hours ago, Froody129 said:

For the price of a custom copper heatsink you could just get a new laptop with better performance... 

I wouldn't go further than new paste. No need for custom heatsinks and things 

i will design and build the custom heatsink and it is cheap (just a copper plate with ram shims)... how can you compare a heatsink price to buying a new laptop ???

6 hours ago, OCD-FREAK said:

i will design and build the custom heatsink and it is cheap (just a copper plate with ram shims)... how can you compare a heatsink price to buying a new laptop ???

Food for thought, but if your custom heatsink is not a heat pipe, then will it not perform worse? I thought that the phase change that occurs within heat pipes is what makes it even possible in laptops to keep anything cool. Sorry if I'm wrong.

41 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Food for thought, but if your custom heatsink is not a heat pipe, then will it not perform worse? I thought that the phase change that occurs within heat pipes is what makes it even possible in laptops to keep anything cool. Sorry if I'm wrong.

of course it will help ! please check Copper TIM cooling mods :)

one of my friends did it and the temps went from 67 degrees to 55 degrees! thats 12 degrees  ! and he used an normal thermal paste, i will be using liquid metal so expect another 5-10 degrees cooler too !!!