Gender and Racial Diversity in Gaming

Ryujin2003

Ok guys and gals,

Edit; so, I may have missed the mark on my original question, so I do apologise. Im looking for in game playable characters, not so much the streaming stuff. I'm interested in it, but am more interested in receiving and gender differences insider the game. Does an opposite gender it alternate race detract from your experience? Is it fun to pretend to deck up your identity for a game?

I'm working on a project for my class at University.

Not going to have a full blown out discussion about gender and racial issues in video games, and definitely want to stay away from politics.

I'm familiar with #gamergate, and not trying to rehash that movement at all.

I'm looking for forums or other places where I can see actual gamers discuss this topic. I understand that females take a lot of harassment when they stream just for being female, and that there is a lack of strong positive female and marginalized races as it pertains to characters in gaming.

I've read a bunch of academic stuff and news articles on the topic, and an looking for actual gamer discussion. I've been told to check it twitch forums, which I've never participated in. I was hoping you might have some resources I can could look at.

I'm looking at the lack of positive non stereotyped role models, inability to completely immerse into a game because of isolation or marginalization. Stuff like that. And I want to see what gamers, people actively involved in the community, think. What games or franchises/developers have fine great at addressing this and who hasn't?

Research actually starts that these issues harm the community and gamers as a whole. I'd this a big issue for anyone personally?

Again, this is for information only, not trying to start anything to get my thread locked in an hour.

I would be more than happy for personal IM if anyone doesn't want to post anything openly on the forum. I won't blast personal username tag information. This is for educational purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Ryujin

Im not sure how to respond to this. But im a white female whom plays semi professionally for rainbow six siege? I never get hate other than the same stuff my male teammates do.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I understand that females take a lot of harassment when they stream just for being female

anyone get harassed when they stream.

I don't understand how you think that this is a gender specific issue.

The issue is, most male consider this as non threat act, while gender studies professor think this act is at the same level as killing someone.

23 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

SNIP

17 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Im not sure how to respond to this. But im a white female whom plays semi professionally for rainbow six siege? I never get hate other than the same stuff my male teammates do.

That's because normal women don't get hated on just for being women, those Twitch "streamers" that have their webcam with a huge cleavage taking up over 50% of the video on their streams and the actual gameplay being less than 50% usually get "a lot of harassment".

To know more about what I meant, watch those two videos if you're interested:

The second video is a follow-up to the first one because of lots of feedback and hate on Sky for releasing it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

That's because normal women don't get hated on just for being women, those Twitch "streamers" that have their webcam with a huge cleavage taking up over 50% of the video on their streams and the actual gameplay being less than 50% usually get "a lot of harassment".

To know more about what I meant, watch those two videos if you're interested:

The second video is a follow-up to the first one because of lots of feedback and hate on Sky for releasing it.

Retards.

2 minutes ago, Anjelllo said:

95EF7B19-392F-474B-9321-E04BE9E1AF44.jpeg.f48fa50ecb0c93a5ccdea8a189709749.jpeg

first photo I could find on google, so shitty quality, but this basically sums it up.

Sinneddonut, my only female streaming friend, usually doesnt show off cleavage, but usually is doing the male streamer setup unless shes just waiting for matchmaking or something, but i havent looked at her stream in a while.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

Retards.

I'm not sure what do you mean here :$

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

OP, you didn't even need to mention that you go to Uni my dude. It's apparent in your post. Calm down son. 

Anyway, nobody is getting harassed cos they're a grill. It's because they have "the gals" out and the twitch viewer isn't buying into her BS. 

They only pretend to be offended to stir the pot. Then the donations come in because it must be "so hard" to be a pretty grill with her tits for show on the interwebs playin vidya games for all to see. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm not sure what do you mean here :$

The female streamers .. id consider that closer to prostitution or the like, just less sex. Obv.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

We don't need identity politics discussion and debate on this forum! 

Especially fake crap like this. 100% of this stuff is faked by feminists and slag magnets like Russian Deadpool.

The biggest issue in my opinion isn't really games, it's more the internet as a whole. People do and say a lot of stuff they wouldn't say in real life when the think they're anonymous. I mean, look at the comments on any YouTube video ever where the presenter is female. Disgusting

That's an F in the profile pic

Such places are hard to find because many people don't really see an issue... aside from a vocal minority, people don't care who they're playing with or what they have between their legs. As for ingame characters, I don't think there is a problem with immersion due to the character not being exactly like you - games are often an escapist fantasy, you aren't necessarily looking to be you in them; and even if that was the case, that would mean people are somehow instantly turned off from any game where the lead is not exactly like them, which would include most games (with non-customizable characters) even among "majorities". For me it's not a problem to play as an indian woman (which I'm not) as much as it's not a problem to play as a british man (which I also am not). I think it's also important to note that writers inherently will tend to write about what they know, and that's not necessarily a bad thing; forcing oneself to write a character of a certain ethnicity just for the sake of diversity leads to stereotypes and the feeling that the character is the way they are just so check a box on a list.

As for streamers being harassed... sadly there will always be dumbfucks who think making sexual advances to a streamer simply because she's a girl is appropriate, but from what I've seen it's not the majority. On the other hand, some female streamers deliberately stream in provocative outfits showing off as much cleavage as possible, whereas males don't really do that at all - of course this doesn't excuse disgusting behaviour from the viewers, but I don't think the fact they're playing a game is to blame in that case.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

The female streamers .. id consider that closer to prostitution or the like, just less sex. Obv.

It's a sad truth though, don't get me wrong - it's not every female streamer but it's a large percentage that do this. The streamer @Anjelllo linked in the second picture is Tara Babcock, she's a "former model" who's streaming and pretty much getting attention/views by showing off her body as she's actually terrible at games she played (I watched her once play League of Legends and she was extremely bad...), which proves my point (kind of).

I actually watched that almost 2,5 hour-long video with streamers (Sky`, Kaceytron, Total Biscuit, Destiny, SivHD) discussing on Skype about those two videos I linked and this issue in general. It had a live audience of 35000 people on Sky's stream at the time:

It's long, but it's a nice video to watch.

i have never understood the idea of "diversity". i dont think every race, nationality and gender has to be represented in every aspect of life. white men dont stur up shit because basketball is dominated by african americans. and woman suddenly dont cry as loud for more female executives when they here that plumbers are mostly men too. like why is everyone so butthurt. 

if its about stereotyping or oversexualizing woman i kind of get that. but as posted before in the case of twitch most woman arent exactly being a great rolemodel. 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

32 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Do you feel marginalized by the lack of non-sexualized female playable characters? Do you feel that games are dominated by males, and this somehow makes it less friendly for females to get into?

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Do you feel marginalized by the lack of non-sexualized female playable characters? Do you feel that games are dominated by males, and this somehow makes it less friendly for females to get into?

Lol listen to yourself. You're part of the problem.

I have never had an issue regarding my gender, then again I play for myself and don't stream. Frankly speaking i find disgusting these other girls that stream focusing on the fact they're females, it is a running meme already no?

Spoiler

1Vn2c.jpg

Whole focus on their body over the gameplay and all... so silly.... myself I don't even like talking in cs:go matches, my team always end up more interest in me than the match.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, RubSchneider said:

Lol listen to yourself. You're part of the problem.

I'm not trying to be part of the problem. I'm not a female, do I can't say it is an issue it not. I'm asking because I figured I could get some feedback from active gamers instead of what researchers and NY Times has to say.

You automatically assume I'm some extreme liberal or conservative on the topic. I have to do research and give a speech about any topic relating to "Justice," so.. since I DGAF about the mainstream media pages about social inequality and other issues, and have used up other topics on other speeches, I might as well try to find something related to a topic I care about.

So, that's why I'm asking. I'm not trying to be part of the problem, I'm trying to get the understanding of the people who actually play games, not the people who use these issues for financial gain...

So if you're going to try and criticize me, keep it to yourself because that's not the point of this. The point is to see if anyone had something productive that might add to my understanding of the topic and conversation.

Either bring something to the table it stop trolling.

18 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

(I know you're replying to a different person but i thought I'd share my thoughts)

None of the games I own have sexualised female characters, though I am aware lots of people do not have the same experiences. Usually there are no differences in the characters, and I think this is because of the type of games I play. Ill list them below in a quote. Also I don't play many PvP games, and when I do I have my mic off anyway. With most PvP games the community is too toxic for voice chat.

Spoiler
  • KSP (where the main woman is actually better than the main men)
  • Skyirm (where its so cold everyone is wearing furs anyway, main character can be male or female)
  • CIV 5 (people will listen to you the same if your playing as Gandhi or Elisabeth I)
  • Borderlands 2 (Some of the characters are a bit weird, but nothing too offensive)
  • Portal (Woman as the antagonist, and she's actually quite scary sometimes)
  • TF2 (Pyro might be a woman?
  • Life is strange (Main character and secondary character are both women, Also might have a lesbian character (Chloe?)

I think sexualisation and things like that are only really in certain games, and they are massively over exaggerated when they do happen.

19 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

if its about stereotyping or oversexualizing woman i kind of get that. but as posted before in the case of twitch most woman arent exactly being a great rolemodel. 

And that's kind of what I'm trying to ask. Researchers and the need says it's an issue. But does the community take it as an issue? Or is it a non issue?

Does the lack of Black, Asian, etc.. playable characters hurt a story? Does it hurt the gaming community? Are developers racist? Out is it possible just an American media issue?

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I'm not trying to be part of the problem. I'm not a female, do I can't say it is an issue it not. I'm asking because I figured I could get some feedback from active gamers instead of what researchers and NY Times has to say.

You automatically assume I'm some extreme liberal or conservative on the topic. I have to do research and give a speech about any topic relating to "Justice," so.. since I DGAF about the mainstream media pages about social inequality and other issues, and have used up other topics on other speeches, I might as well try to find something related to a topic I care about.

So, that's why I'm asking. I'm not trying to be part of the problem, I'm trying to get the understanding of the people who actually play games, not the people who use these issues for financial gain...

So if you're going to try and criticize me, keep it to yourself because that's not the point of this. The point is to see if anyone had something productive that might add to my understanding of the topic and conversation.

Either bring something to the table it stop trolling.

No but you're actually being insensitive to a female by asking those uncomfortable questions. You're making her question herself.

What should I bring to make the table stop trolling?

3 minutes ago, Wrb said:

Snip

That was awesome, and we'll said. Thank you.

I agree sbout the toxic environment in a lot of games.

Off the gender thing, does race or religion have any influence in your have choice?

1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

I never get hate other than the same stuff my male teammates do.

26 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Given her original comment your questions seem very leading, like there is a conclusion you are aiming for.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Just now, RubSchneider said:

No but you're actually being insensitive to a female by asking those uncomfortable questions. You're making her question herself.

What should I bring to make the table stop trolling?

I'm not trying to be insensitive. Maybe I'm too direct. But if you want to say something and feel uncomfortable, them PM me.

I read all this stuff from peer reviews to blogs and books about this topic. But no one commenting on it on a national or educational position is actually involved in gaming. Which is annoying and frustrating.

I don't want to find stuff from a biased liberal, or consecutive, or feminist, etc.. these people have an agenda before they start looking for information and writing.

I'm trying to get the perspective of those that are involved, but not heard over the media.

Being a female, did it bother you that most characters are male? Are you uninterested in playing a game that has only a male character? Are you uncomfortable playing as a separate race?

I know when I play, I like games that show you to create a character. I like to make the character look close to me, or at least represent my feelings about the character in going to play as. It helps me feel immersed in the game.

I've also find Play by Post RPG, and have done character development, though I've never done a gender outside of my actual gender. Though I've played as FemShep multiple times in Mass Effect.

Trying to see the severity of the issue and that possible solutions you might have.

Again, sorry if I came across as insensitive. Calling me part of the problem isn't really helpful. I'm not politically active by any means. So giving speeches about Justice topics is very hard for me already...