I am new to PC gaming & one of the main reasons why I wanna build one is because of how great emulators are. I will be running a Ryzen 5 1600 with a RX 580 8GB. Is the Ryzen 5 1600 a good CPU for emulators or should i get something better? I heard that emulators are more CPU heavy then GPU heavy so I wanna ask if i will be all set or if i need to get a better GPU or CPU

The R5 1600 has 6 cores at a reasonable speed. I would think that it can run emulators.

3 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

I am new to PC gaming & one of the main reasons why I wanna build one is because of how great emulators are. I will be running a Ryzen 5 1600 with a RX 580 8GB. Is the Ryzen 5 1600 a good CPU for emulators or should i get something better? I heard that emulators are more CPU heavy then GPU heavy so I wanna ask if i will be all set or if i need to get a better GPU or CPU

Dude what the flip. If you're gonna move to PC for EMULATORS then just move back to *cough cough console. 

What you will emulate? PS2, NDS, Virtual Box? If you're going to emulate PS1 or released before it you are fine with Ryzen, on the other hand if you're going to emulate PS2, N3DS or whatever of lasts gens of console, then Intel should be on your shortlist.

If you are going to emulate PCs or something like that have more cores is desirable.

The most threads you can get is always better for emulation, I would either invest in an R5-1600/1600X or try and find an i7-8700K and take advantage of HT with Intel

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Check with the emulation software/devs/info themselves. Find out if they are AVX intensive. If it is, modern intels 4th gen and up will be better than Ryzen for emulators. Otherwise its all about clockspeed and threads (if the devs say they are mult-core optimized).

YouTube/CoalitionGaming - Cameras: Canon 1DX MkII, Canon EOS M6 MkII, Panasonic Lumix G85
The Gaming/Streaming/Editing Rig: Codename
LINCHPIN 
Ryzen 9 5900X // Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite mobo // 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600mhz // Swiftech Boreas custom CPU loop & IRIS Helix Fans // Lian LI PC-O11 Dynamic Case // Nvidia RTX 3080 FE  // Sandisk x400 1tb SSD // Micron 2tb SSD // WD 1tb Blue HDD // SK Hynix Gold P31 NVME 1tb SSD // 

6 minutes ago, SecretX said:

What you will emulate? PS2, NDS, Virtual Box? If you're going to emulate PS1 or released before it you are fine with Ryzen, on the other hand if you're going to emulate PS2, N3DS or whatever of lasts gens of console, then Intel should be on your shortlist.

If you are going to emulate PCs or something like that have more cores is desirable.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The most threads you can get is always better for emulation, I would either invest in an R5-1600/1600X or try and find an i7-8700K and take advantage of HT with Intel

Guys, I don't see the point. Unless he's emulating something that isn't made anymore, he could be saving tons of money just buying the console.

Just now, CyberFern0 said:

Guys, I don't see the point. Unless he's emulating something that isn't made anymore, he could be saving tons of money just buying the console.

What if he's not emulating a console? I'm talking general emulation when I make recommendations like I just did

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

2 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

16 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

I am new to PC gaming & one of the main reasons why I wanna build one

One of the main reasons . . . not the only reason

Every developer uses a different method for their emulation software. Dolphin prefers quad-cores over dual-cores, VBA prefers faster over slower, ePSXe prefers quad-cores to anything else. You just need to look at the recommended specs and build off of that. 

I would go Intel 8600K for emulation. If you're going to try virtual machines, get the 1600, but emulation is Intel. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

31 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

Dude what the flip. If you're gonna move to PC for EMULATORS then just move back to *cough cough console. 

I'm mainly building a pc for pc gaming of course but emulators are like a nice bonus to me

besides i dont wanna spend like hundreds on an pre owned stuff that goes at ridiculous prices online

32 minutes ago, SecretX said:

So would something like a 1700/1800x help me out?

21 minutes ago, Beowulff83 said:

One of the main reasons . . . not the only reason

Yeah mainly i wanna game on pc but emulators are like a nice bonus to me

30 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

HT?

24 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Every developer uses a different method for their emulation software. Dolphin prefers quad-cores over dual-cores, VBA prefers faster over slower, ePSXe prefers quad-cores to anything else. You just need to look at the recommended specs and build off of that. 

I would go Intel 8600K for emulation. If you're going to try virtual machines, get the 1600, but emulation is Intel. 

virtual machines? whats that

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

HT?

Hyper-Threading, it basically lets you run the same amount of physical cores your CPU has virtually. For example, you could run a Core i7-8700K as a "12" core CPU. This technology is exclusive to Intel.

3 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

So would something like a 1700/1800x help me out?

Probably, I'm not sure how well Ryzen does at virtualization and emulation.

Just now, UltimaHeart said:

virtual machines? whats that

Virtual machines are like computers you can run on your computer.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hyper-Threading, it basically lets you run the same amount of physical cores your CPU has virtually. For example, you could run a Core i7-8700K as a "12" core CPU. This technology is exclusive to Intel.

Probably, I'm not sure how well Ryzen does at virtualization and emulation.

Virtual machines are like computers you can run on your computer.

hmmm I see

man i dont know if i wanna get ryzen 5 or i5 8600k 

coffee lake is way more expensive to me then ryzen is 

hmmm I see

man i dont know if i wanna get ryzen 5 or i5 8600k 

coffee lake is way more expensive to me then ryzen is 

I would suggest Ryzen, maybe push for an R7

I would suggest Ryzen, maybe push for an R7

Would stock cooler work good? I am on a bit of a budget here

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes

does the R7 perform worse in some games then the R5 1600 or does it depend?

50 minutes ago, SecretX said:

All kinds of emulators really

PS2, PS3, 360, Wii U, Wii & Gamecube, etc. 

Would a Ryzen 7 1700 work for this?

1 minute ago, UltimaHeart said:

All kinds of emulators really

PS2, PS3, 360, Wii U, Wii & Gamecube, etc. 

Would a Ryzen 7 1700 work for this?

Yes

4 minutes ago, UltimaHeart said:

does the R7 perform worse in some games then the R5 1600 or does it depend?

I think it depends, overall it's better I believe.

Yes

I think it depends, overall it's better I believe.

1700x & 1800x are pointless right? (I know the 1700 has a pretty cool RGB stock cooler 

1700x & 1800x are pointless right? (I know the 1700 has a pretty cool RGB stock cooler 

If they were truly pointless, they wouldn't exist. People use them, they have a purpose