What kind of specs do I need for programming?

Hello, I have dabbled around in programming for a few years, but never got to serious about it. I have been thinking that I would like to get more serious about it. I will probably be mainly doing c++ but I will try a variety of different langues. I am about to build a new computer and was wondering what kind of stuff I would need. I was already going to spend about $1700 USD not including windows or peripherals. Im not looking for a part list, just tell me what kind of stuff il need, Like RAM, storage ect... Thanks!

Honestly, very little. 

However, if you're running some serious numerical simulations for complex mathematical problems (often involving 1000s, if not 10000s of iterative calculations), then you'll need beefy hardware.

Dual core processor with 4GB of RAM and a standard iGPU should be enough. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Honestly, very little. 

However, if you're running some serious numerical simulations for complex mathematical problems (often involving 1000s, if not 10000s of iterative calculations), then you'll need beefy hardware.

Dual core processor with 4GB of RAM and a standard iGPOhU should be enough. 

Oh ok, I heard someone say that it really helps to have a i7 and 16gb of ram.

Oh ok, I heard someone say that it really helps to have a i7 and 16gb of ram.

That kind of hardware is only really useful for video rendering, editing, and working with large graphical programs. And numerical simulations. For numerical simulations, an i7 vs. and i5 could make the difference between 10 mins of computation and 5 mins or less, depending on the complexity of the problem and the speeds/number of cores of the processors involved. 

For actually writing and running simpler programs (vast majority of programs fit under this category), that depends on the programs. In majority of cases, the runtime of programs are so low (in the millisecond range) that the difference between and i5 and an i7 is unnoticeable. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

That kind of hardware is only really useful for video rendering, editing, and working with large graphical programs. And numerical simulations. For numerical simulations, an i7 vs. and i5 could make the difference between 10 mins of computation and 5 mins or less, depending on the complexity of the problem and the speeds/number of cores of the processors involved. 

For actually writing and running simpler programs (vast majority of programs fit under this category), that depends on the programs. In majority of cases, the runtime of programs are so low (in the millisecond range) that the difference between and i5 and an i7 is unnoticeable. 

Oh, thanks for saving me a few bucks!

You could do it on an Athlon II X3, 4GB of RAM, and a Radeon HD 6570 and not really notice a difference between that and a super high end system in programming.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Hello, I have dabbled around in programming for a few years, but never got to serious about it. I have been thinking that I would like to get more serious about it. I will probably be mainly doing c++ but I will try a variety of different langues. I am about to build a new computer and was wondering what kind of stuff I would need. I was already going to spend about $1700 USD not including windows or peripherals. Im not looking for a part list, just tell me what kind of stuff il need, Like RAM, storage ect... Thanks!

Let me put it this way: you need A computer. Nothing more. Everything will do. Especially if you intend to stay at more or less hobby level. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

My school has 1st gen Core 2 Duos with 2GB of DDR2 RAM for Java programming inside of Eclipse, just saying.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Depends on what you want to work with. To start you could probably get by with a raspberry pi and get by fine. When you feel more comfortable and want to tackle something much more intense then you'll want some more serious hardware.

For example I just got started studying machine learning and recently learned how to use SVM's for classification. I spent a couple of days attempting to work with a dataset of just over 6k emails and many of the tasks I tried to run on that set would take 40 minutes to an hour. But in that case you can always remember in most anything you will do you could whip up a small scale test that runs in seconds and let the full job run overnight. With that in mind my four year old laptop would be able to do the exact same stuff perfectly fine.

If you want to save money an i3 or an APU with an SSD and 8GB of ram would be a great start. Actually, an SSD would probably make a bigger impact on your work early on than a good machine. 

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Well if u plan to run OpenGL or stuff like that ull need a much stronger pc

A computer that boots into the OS. Specs aren't (really) an issue.

Depends on the type of programming.

Going to be making video games? You'll need something that can run them.

Going to be using CUDA? You'll need an nVidia GPU.

Going to do something with AI? A faster cpu will certainly help.

Going to be compiling Android? You'll be needing at least 16gb of RAM.

For general programming an old computer you find at a garage sale for $20 will do.

With C++ an i7 and a SSD can be money well spend depending on the project size. Compilation times with stuff like QT can be really long and annoying on weak hardware.

You could just get a Raspberry Pi and that would actually be enough :-)

MB: MSI Z77A-GD55 | CPU: Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz | RAM: 8GB Kingston DDR3 @1333MHz | GPU: Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 

Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster B2230H @60Hz | Audio: Creative Aurvana Live! | PSU: SuperFlower 80+ Gold 550 Watt 

OS: ArchLinux + KDE / Windows 8 Pro 64bit | Smartphone: Nexus 4 16GB - CM11

Pfff, from my experience, get more RAM! (Especially when doing Java/Android, or other editors based on Java such as NetBeans.)

And a multi 16:10 monitor setup.

A decent CPU for compiling speed.

And an SSD to put all your editors and projects on. :) (this will increase loading and maybe compiling speeds)

Computer Case: Define R4 | CPU: FX8350 @ 4.4Ghz (1.35v) | Cooler: NH-D14 | MoBo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical (LP) 16GB 2000mhz CL9-T1 (1.5v) | PSU: RM1000 | SSD: 120GB 840 Evo | HDD: 2TB Barracuda | GPU: GTX 760 2GB (TwinFrozr)

Peripherals Keyboard: IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) | Mouse: Logitech M570 (Trackball) | Headset: SX-910A (Bluetooth)
Phone iOcean X7 | CPU: MT6589 @ 1.2Ghz (Stock) | Screen: 5" 1080P |---| Tablet Voyo A15 | CPU: Samsung Exynos 5250 @ 2.0Ghz (OC) | Screen: 11.6" 1080P

My school has 1st gen Core 2 Duos with 2GB of DDR2 RAM for Java programming inside of Eclipse, just saying.

The Junior High where I am has some 3.2GHz P4's (LGA 775), 4GB of RAM, and Radeon 3450 video cards for 3D rendering (mainly SketchUp). Just saying.

Luckily I had one of the ones with a Core 2 Quad. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

With C++ an i7 and a SSD can be money well spend depending on the project size. Compilation times with stuff like QT can be really long and annoying on weak hardware.

^This. Personally, I've never written something truly large which would have

required some proper compilation power.

But, as faszinierend says, if you start writing programs which have a large

codebase to compile you might indeed noticeably benefit from more horsepower.

However, as is the general consensus in this thread: For most things, a very

basic machine will do just fine.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

depends on what but if it turns on and can run programs ur good

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

For most programming environments, a decent Windows workstation would do. I would guess a $1000 PC is good enough for most tasks.

If you are looking at different languages other than C++, do you have a particular one in mind?

Mobile app developement, maybe? Android? iOS? How about web application development with PHP or ASP.NET?

If you are looking into iOS mobile app development, then you would need to invest in a Mac or a Macbook as Apple restrict development to only their platforms.

If you are looking at web development, specifically PHP, then you could go Linux and save hundreds of dollar in software requirement to develop with.

If C++ is the language you want to start with, then get:

1. a good CPU (maybe an Intel i7 or AMD FX?)
  2. 8GB of RAM (minimum, but go for 16GB if you got the cash)
  3. a good capacity hard drive (you could get an SSD for added performance, but I don't think you need it)
  4. a good video card (moreso if you are looking into game development using C++)
  5. two 27" monitors for added productivity value (and make sure your PC can support both in dual monitor mode)
  6. 64-bit Win7 (personally, I'm not ready to jump into Win8)
  7. Visual Studio IDE software (this is like the defacto software for C++ programming)
  8. At least one good C++ book to learn from
  9. At least one good C++ reference book (I suggest a book called "Effective C++" by Scott Meyers...great book that describe some of the Do's and Dont's of programming)

Multiple monitors - because more display space means higher productivity - large and high definition - at 4 am things tend to blur a little :) .

An SSD because programming involves opening & closing lots of relatively small files and when one is learning lots of browsing.

By todays standards programming itself doesn't require a great deal of computing power but the programs developed have to be able to run on the system along side the development environment.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

All you need is a PC capable of running the applications you write. All Android phones (unless you're running ART) compile apps as you open and use them. Raspberry Pi was created to teach kids programming. I know this is basically repeating what everyone else said, but don't buy special hardware for programming.

if it is just small console programs then any PC will do, if you are getting a bit more serious you want a beefy CPU for fast compiling times and 16GB of RAM

Depends on the type of programming.

Going to be making video games? You'll need something that can run them.

Going to be using CUDA? You'll need an nVidia GPU.

Going to do something with AI? A faster cpu will certainly help.

Going to be compiling Android? You'll be needing at least 16gb of RAM.

For general programming an old computer you find at a garage sale for $20 will do.

That and also are you going to run vm's in the background? if so then 16gb ram would be recommended but 8gb will do

Let me put it this way: you need A computer. Nothing more. Everything will do. Especially if you intend to stay at more or less hobby level. 

What this guy said. A computer. You could write programs on a $20 used Dell you get off eBay.

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.