Turning down the RPM on my fans

Billy_Mays

I have two 120mm fans from  Corsair (The grey AIO fans) and when I plug them in on my mobo they get pretty damn loud (2600rpm) and they sound like a tiny jet engine, my mobo is a GA-78lmt-s2p and the ccase fan header is a 3 pin and my case fans are 4 pin so is my splitter, so can I change the voltage or something for my fans?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Voltage isn't what determines the speed and even if it did why would a motherboard support that when it would probably be cheaper to just install 4 pin headers.

2 hours ago, №☢ said:

Voltage isn't what determines the speed and even if it did why would a motherboard support that when it would probably be cheaper to just install 4 pin headers.

Fan speed control can be either through a PWM signal on the 4th pin or reducing the nominal +12V voltage to something lower. Both are common on motherboards. Some motherboard headers can do one, both, or neither. Looks like the SYS_FAN header on that mobo does neither.

1 hour ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Download speedfan

That won't help if the header doesn't support fan speed control. This is a relatively old board, being AM3, (back before more fan speed control options were more prevalent) and relatively low in the product stack, so guess what.

2 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

so can I change the voltage or something for my fans?

Yes, you could get a PWM splitter cable (1 to 3), and then run those two fans along with your CPU fan off of the CPU fan header. This would use the same control scheme for all three fans (likely based on CPU temperature), but if the CPU fan is different its fan speed for a given PWM level may be different from your two other Corsair fans.

You could alternatively buy a fan speed controller. There are full units, like those that fit in 5.25" bays, or other options, but on the low end and if you don't need the speed to be adaptive, you could use something like a Zalman Fan Mate 2, which has a knob which sets the +12V to something lower. It's for 3-pin fans but you could plug it into your 4-pin fan splitter and then into the motherboard. You might have to break off the side so you can fit the 4-pin connector into the 3-pin receptacle but it should work.

28 minutes ago, loculus said:

Fan speed control can be either through a PWM signal on the 4th pin or reducing the nominal +12V voltage to something lower. Both are common on motherboards. Some motherboard headers can do one, both, or neither. Looks like the SYS_FAN header on that mobo does neither.

That won't help if the header doesn't support fan speed control. This is a relatively old board, being AM3, (back before more fan speed control options were more prevalent) and relatively low in the product stack, so guess what.

Yes, you could get a PWM splitter cable (1 to 3), and then run those two fans along with your CPU fan off of the CPU fan header. This would use the same control scheme for all three fans (likely based on CPU temperature), but if the CPU fan is different its fan speed for a given PWM level may be different from your two other Corsair fans.

You could alternatively buy a fan speed controller. There are full units, like those that fit in 5.25" bays, or other options, but on the low end and if you don't need the speed to be adaptive, you could use something like a Zalman Fan Mate 2, which has a knob which sets the +12V to something lower. It's for 3-pin fans but you could plug it into your 4-pin fan splitter and then into the motherboard. You might have to break off the side so you can fit the 4-pin connector into the 3-pin receptacle but it should work.

Dunno I've seen plenty of motherboards support PWM from 2012, mine supports it but only on 1 or 2 headers so I've had to use a splitter to get Speedfan to work, hate having to get up to change my fan speed.

1 hour ago, spat55 said:

Dunno I've seen plenty of motherboards support PWM from 2012, mine supports it but only on 1 or 2 headers so I've had to use a splitter to get Speedfan to work, hate having to get up to change my fan speed.

Right, my point was that It was relatively rare on non-CPU fan headers, like the one being discussed for this board. It would hardly be a shock to find it on some headers on some boards, but on an mATX 760G chipset board without VRM heatsinks? Seems a good chance it would not make the feature list.

16 hours ago, №☢ said:

Thats false and you know it. Voltage is excatly what controls speed for 3pin fans. 4pin/PWM are controlled with PWM. Mobos support it because most of fans still are DC/3pin. Actually only newest gen of both AMD and Intel boards have full PWM support. Most older boards have 4pin headers with just DC control.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Thats false and you know it. Voltage is excatly what controls speed for 3pin fans. 4pin/PWM are controlled with PWM. Mobos support it because most of fans still are DC/3pin. Actually only newest gen of both AMD and Intel boards have full PWM support. Most older boards have 4pin headers with just DC control.

Ok where would I find the setting to change the voltage since the fans are pretty loud

On 11/6/2017 at 9:04 PM, №☢ said:

Do you know how electricity works?

On 11/6/2017 at 9:14 PM, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Download speedfan

What does it do?

22 hours ago, loculus said:

Ok I'll see if I can change the PWM/voltage settings for my CPU fan 

21 hours ago, spat55 said:

Thats only 4 pin headers which allows more over the fan 

20 hours ago, loculus said:

Right, my point was that It was relatively rare on non-CPU fan headers, like the one being discussed for this board. It would hardly be a shock to find it on some headers on some boards, but on an mATX 760G chipset board without VRM heatsinks? Seems a good chance it would not make the feature list.

Well the VRMs get pretty hot and I havent had it for a couple of days now (bought it used) and would the CPU fan header allow PWM control?

4 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Ok where would I find the setting to change the voltage since the fans are pretty loud

Do you know how electricity works?

What does it do?

Ok I'll see if I can change the PWM/voltage settings for my CPU fan 

Thats only 4 pin headers which allows more over the fan 

Well the VRMs get pretty hot and I havent had it for a couple of days now (bought it used) and would the CPU fan header allow PWM control?

Speedfan is an application that allows you to control your fan speed, set schedules, and make your own fan curve 

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Speedfan is an application that allows you to control your fan speed, set schedules, and make your own fan curve 

Not from what I looked into it

10 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Your mobo might just have one header with controller chip attached, CPU_FAN. From manual I can't say if SYS_FAN supports controlling or not. If you can see dial for it in Speedfan main screen, then it does.

Speedfan is very oldstyled and difficult to setup. But when its once done, it just works. Jayz2Cents guide is good one to use. In short you need to select correct controller before any fans can be controlled. And then set some temps so that it doesn't boost them too early.

If you only have control on CPU_FAN, you need to get powered hub. All connected fans will be controlled but they also all will follow same curve/setting. Another option is to get software controlled hub (from Corsair or NZXT) or front bay controller with knobs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Your mobo might just have one header with controller chip attached, CPU_FAN. From manual I can't say if SYS_FAN supports controlling or not. If you can see dial for it in Speedfan main screen, then it does.

Speedfan is very oldstyled and difficult to setup. But when its once done, it just works. Jayz2Cents guide is good one to use. In short you need to select correct controller before any fans can be controlled. And then set some temps so that it doesn't boost them too early.

If you only have control on CPU_FAN, you need to get powered hub. All connected fans will be controlled but they also all will follow same curve/setting. Another option is to get software controlled hub (from Corsair or NZXT) or front bay controller with knobs.

In this price range, I think the same assumption is that the answer is no. I once did a build using a Gigabyte P67A UD3 board, which is from around the same era but midrange rather than budget, and it did not have fan speed control on some of the headers. One of the non-CPU fan headers has a pin labeled "+12V / Speed Control" whereas the ones without just say "12V" as here on SYS_FAN. If it doesn't say speed control, it's not available.

14 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Speedfan doesn't support all controller chips and hardware possibilities, but the actual problem here is that the header doesn't support fan speed adjustment at all. Some third-party software is not going to be able to expose hardware features that don't exist. If it were available, then Speedfan could be a nifty tool to set up some custom fan speed curves and so on.

But that's not an option here so that's why I said earlier that it's not going to help.

As I said earlier, you're going to need some additional hardware. Either get a fan speed controller, or use a PWM splitter as suggested.

14 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

10 hours ago, loculus said:

In this price range, I think the same assumption is that the answer is no. I once did a build using a Gigabyte P67A UD3 board, which is from around the same era but midrange rather than budget, and it did not have fan speed control on some of the headers. One of the non-CPU fan headers has a pin labeled "+12V / Speed Control" whereas the ones without just say "12V" as here on SYS_FAN. If it doesn't say speed control, it's not available.

Speedfan doesn't support all controller chips and hardware possibilities, but the actual problem here is that the header doesn't support fan speed adjustment at all. Some third-party software is not going to be able to expose hardware features that don't exist. If it were available, then Speedfan could be a nifty tool to set up some custom fan speed curves and so on.

But that's not an option here so that's why I said earlier that it's not going to help.

As I said earlier, you're going to need some additional hardware. Either get a fan speed controller, or use a PWM splitter as suggested.

What would be the best budget fan controller?

3 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

What would be the best budget fan controller?

Any really if you accept knob controls. There's this for 5.25'' bay https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Controller-Individual-Controls-Independent/dp/B00P2PNOJM/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1510211786&sr=1-15&keywords=fan+controller (NZXT Mesh would be brand alternative). For 3.5'' bay https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Channel-Multi-Fan-Cooling-Controller/dp/B006UFMH3W/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1510211786&sr=1-20&keywords=fan+controller

If no bays are available, there's this style https://www.amazon.com/Evercool-Twister-Speed-Controller-Slot/dp/B009D3O4DE/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1510211786&sr=1-11&keywords=fan+controller though you need to grab splitter for more than 1 fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

He he funny thing I forgot to tell you it needs to be available in Canada 

I would change a setting on your motherboard BIOS (if applicable) or use a piece of software such as "SpeedFan" in order to adjust the speed which one or more of the fans in your system are running at.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I would change a setting on your motherboard BIOS (if applicable) or use a piece of software such as "SpeedFan" in order to adjust the speed which one or more of the fans in your system are running at.

Ok I got speedfan but idk how to use it

6 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

He he funny thing I forgot to tell you it needs to be available in Canada 

Those were just examples. I can check NCIX or whatever store you prefer.

5 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

If you read this thread through, we have gone through SpeedFan option. Mobo has only CPU header that even can be controlled. He would need splitter and have all fans following CPU fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv