So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

Just now, cj09beira said:

I see this being bad for Amd as the new division will need staff. 

I am actually disappointed, how does the head of a division decides to resign and go work for the biggest competitor doing the same job, and then make a post for his fellow coworkers on how he wanted to do something different. 

I don't think he is working competitively. I think for Intel and RTG to get things rolling as fast as possible having Raja move over gives them a powerful and easy to work with liaison inside Intel to make sure the AMD tech gets implemented quickly and effectively. I wonder if a small cadre of other AMD engineers may go over to Intel for 6 months to a year to make sure it all goes smoothly.

Although this really only works for me if Navi is indeed finalized. If not, if Raja abandoned his ground up architecture, I see it as being a less amicable and mutual situation. But, if AMD thinks it can make enough on the deal, or gain access to something we on the outside have missed it may have been worth the risk to move Raja now rather than later.

29 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

I don't think he is working competitively. I think for Intel and RTG to get things rolling as fast as possible having Raja move over gives them a powerful and easy to work with liaison inside Intel to make sure the AMD tech gets implemented quickly and effectively. I wonder if a small cadre of other AMD engineers may go over to Intel for 6 months to a year to make sure it all goes smoothly.

Although this really only works for me if Navi is indeed finalized. If not, if Raja abandoned his ground up architecture, I see it as being a less amicable and mutual situation. But, if AMD thinks it can make enough on the deal, or gain access to something we on the outside have missed it may have been worth the risk to move Raja now rather than later.

That's not what's happening here unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, MyName13 said:

So AMD's APUs are fcked once Intel starts making decent iGPUs?

no because mad's cpus are actually very good now, 

Am I the only one who doesn't care about APU's?

I get AMD needs to make money, but they're making products I will never buy because....why would I? What use do I have for an APU that couldn't be accomplished better buy a CPU and GPU? Form factor isn't really a concern (for me at least) considering how friggin small some Nvidia GPU's are these days.

Yeah, ThreadRipper and Ryzen are awesome, but I swear someone in their Radeon division is just sex-nutz-retard-strong over APU's for some stupid reason.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

DOLwFP4X4AUuLSd.jpg:large

Here it is.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

I get AMD needs to make money, but they're making products I will never buy because....why would I? What use do I have for an APU that couldn't be accomplished better buy a CPU and GPU? Form factor isn't really a concern (for me at least) considering how friggin small some Nvidia GPU's are these days.

Yeah, ThreadRipper and Ryzen are awesome, but I swear someone in their Radeon division is just sex-nutz-retard-strong over APU's for some stupid reason.

its pretty simple, its a product Not aimed for enthusiasts, its made with the intent of giving you reasonable good graphics at a good cost, because by making them together you save on costs in multiple fronts: less complex motherboards, less heatsinks, so that the cool kids can have their super thin (for no reason) laptops,

and now with ryzen and hbm apus can actually be pretty good and fast on both fronts. still not something for us but for most people its enough, for example the new apu is supposed to be around gtx750 in perf, i ran that card for a while (while broke) and i could play most games just fine, not at the highest setting but it still played them

47 minutes ago, Notional said:

Here it is.

Image resolution needs to be more better if @GN_Buildzoid is going to do a deep dive.

It would be nice to think that its close to being marketable.

2 hours ago, cj09beira said:

no because mad's cpus are actually very good now, 

They aren't a good option with CL on the market (and whatever Intel is putting into laptops now).

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

They aren't a good option with CL on the market (and whatever Intel is putting into laptops now).

we will see when we have reviews up

21 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

we will see when we have reviews up

That's the anti-AMD guy, who supposedly owns a Ryzen 5 and hates it. 

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

"Consumer Devices". This isn't the 90s. Far more consumer devices are sold than normal computers. The most obvious is Smart Phones, but it applies to every touch screen, mobile device, point of sale device and any old random other application that likely needs a GUI. This is the reason why Intel was willing to lose billions to keep AMD out of the laptop space, as AMD could have offered a lot more in that space than Intel could after they acquired ATI. Obviously, Bulldozer happened, but they got run out of the laptop space long before that.

That's why this AMD-Intel franken-device is actually important. Those NUCs sell quite well, as they go in a lot of point of sale devices and other applications. All of the chain "sit down" restaurants are running those mobile payment devices? What do you think is running those?

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

You might be the only one. Having an integrated GPU makes troubleshooting much easier and it also opens up more monitors for use in conjunction to thos provided by the dGPU. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Laptops and consoles are 2 of the biggest selling devices with GPU's and they both greatly benefit from a strong APU.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

On 11/9/2017 at 12:10 PM, cj09beira said:

its pretty simple, its a product Not aimed for enthusiasts, its made with the intent of giving you reasonable good graphics at a good cost, because by making them together you save on costs in multiple fronts: less complex motherboards, less heatsinks, so that the cool kids can have their super thin (for no reason) laptops,

and now with ryzen and hbm apus can actually be pretty good and fast on both fronts. still not something for us but for most people its enough, for example the new apu is supposed to be around gtx750 in perf, i ran that card for a while (while broke) and i could play most games just fine, not at the highest setting but it still played them

On 11/9/2017 at 12:57 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

That's the anti-AMD guy, who supposedly owns a Ryzen 5 and hates it. 

"Consumer Devices". This isn't the 90s. Far more consumer devices are sold than normal computers. The most obvious is Smart Phones, but it applies to every touch screen, mobile device, point of sale device and any old random other application that likely needs a GUI. This is the reason why Intel was willing to lose billions to keep AMD out of the laptop space, as AMD could have offered a lot more in that space than Intel could after they acquired ATI. Obviously, Bulldozer happened, but they got run out of the laptop space long before that.

That's why this AMD-Intel franken-device is actually important. Those NUCs sell quite well, as they go in a lot of point of sale devices and other applications. All of the chain "sit down" restaurants are running those mobile payment devices? What do you think is running those?

On 11/9/2017 at 12:59 PM, ARikozuM said:

You might be the only one. Having an integrated GPU makes troubleshooting much easier and it also opens up more monitors for use in conjunction to thos provided by the dGPU. 

On 11/9/2017 at 1:31 PM, The Benjamins said:

Laptops and consoles are 2 of the biggest selling devices with GPU's and they both greatly benefit from a strong APU.

I still really don't care. I don't get excited about this kind of thing. The only point which made me care a little more is "more monitors". Now that's something that I might care about lol.

I get that they have a good reason for doing it, I just want them to do other things. that I personally would buy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I still really don't care. I don't get excited about this kind of thing. The only point which made me care a little more is "more monitors". Now that's something that I might care about lol.

I get that they have a good reason for doing it, I just want them to do other things. that I personally would buy.

there are more people that aren't like we are though so they need to give those peeps some products too, don't be selfish :P 

13 hours ago, cj09beira said:

there are more people that aren't like we are though so they need to give those peeps some products too, don't be selfish :P 

But what about me?!

On 11/9/2017 at 2:35 PM, ARikozuM said:

I doubt we'll see anything from Intel in the next two or three years that can match whatever Nvidia architecture will be [available]. I see Intel trying to go for the AI and computational spaces rather than gaming first. 

They have been buying up visual processing, machine learning, cognitive computing and autonomous driving companies over the last few years.   I think the G in GPU is causing a little bit of confusion as very few GPU's are actually designed for it nowadays (just happens to be somewhat where they started). 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

But what about me?!

you special :)

(something like this would be enough for me, as i am cheap and poor :P )

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

They have been buying up visual processing, machine learning, cognitive computing and autonomous driving companies over the last few years.   I think the G in GPU is causing a little bit of confusion as very few GPU's are actually designed for it nowadays (just happens to be somewhat where they started). 

They're more FPU-PUs these days.

After finally spending 2-3 days catching up on this long, multi-merged thread, it's time to present my glorious thoughts to the world (okay, maybe not that glorious, but still my thoughts).

Regarding the Intel CPU+AMD GPU part, that actually looks kind of cool (regarding the quoted picture below).  I'd much rather see something like that with Ryzen+Vega, but I suppose we'll have to wait for AMD to create their own EMIB-like product or license it from Intel.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:28 AM, Notional said:
Spoiler

Here it is.

As for Raja, my understanding from what I've read is that his work will be in computational graphics cards, not in cards for gaming.

On 11/8/2017 at 8:56 PM, zberry7 said:

Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments.

Besides, Intel has tried its hand in discrete graphics cards before, it didn't really go over well.  I think them investing into the compute market makes more sense.

On 11/8/2017 at 6:53 AM, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I hope so, ever since AMD bought ATI they haven't done anything good with them, just empty promises.

That's a rather odd statement.  AMD has had many great video cards that competed directly against Nvidia on the high end.  It's just the past few years that AMD has lagged behind in that department, and given AMD's financial straits it's rather understandable.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:45 PM, Abyssal Radon said:

Interesting, I have had nothing but head aches from AMD's graphics drivers. So I made a vowel to myself to never buy one of their GPU's again... 

Was that A, E, I, O or U?  Perhaps sometimes Y?

On 11/6/2017 at 11:05 AM, IamODIN said:

in this case nvidia is not the disease. its intel