So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

So I thought intel and AMD put this one to bed months ago with an emphatic NO! 

Well... Apparently not. Doing some morning reading on tech and came across this from the WSJ. 

There's not much meat in the article, but apparently the announcement is coming today. 

Rivals Intel and AMD Team Up on PC Chips to Battle Nvidia

New laptop-computer chip will combine an Intel processor and an AMD graphics unit

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rivals-intel-and-amd-team-up-on-pc-chips-to-battle-nvidia-1509966064

Reuters is reporting the same in quoting WSJ as the source. 

Seem like an strange turn of events here with the ryzen mobile chips just launched what, a week ago? 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

8 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

>to read the full story, subskribe.

stay classy, WSJ.

yah ffs it's pathetic. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Julian2000nl said:

Sometimes you have to team up with your enemy to battle a disease.

it still seems like a weird move from amd, especially because amd is releasing ryzen based apus very soon with great perf 

AMD doesn't need to join Intel though.....unless there is some life left in Larabee?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

it still seems like a weird move from amd, especially because amd is releasing ryzen based apus very soon with great perf 

Just now, Dabombinable said:

AMD doesn't need to join Intel though.....

on the cpu side for mobile, they'll be clawing back as much market share as possible

Meanwhile, for the company that does have the market share, they can take a cut for the graphics. 

I think it's good move. Also it seems they are targeting ultrabook style stuff, which AMD may not compete with well? not sure. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

on the cpu side for mobile, they'll be clawing back as much market share as possible

Meanwhile, for the company that does have the market share, they can take a cut for the graphics. 

I think it's good move. Also it seems they are targeting ultrabook style stuff, which AMD may not compete with well? not sure. 

its new apus are perfect for ultrabooks, the integrated gpu is as fast as the mx150 from nvidea and the cpu is also good, the only way this works is if its an even bigger apu, but then why not sell it themselves? (maybe lack of R&D money)

Nothing surprising, if there is more profit in working together than fighting each other it's only logical that they'd "team up".

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Nothing surprising, if there is more profit in working together than fighting each other it's only logical that they'd "team up".

only if you ignore the history of intel doing everything they can to put amd out of the market with anti-consumer tactics, break of contract, bribes,etc,etc

Just now, cj09beira said:

only if you ignore the history of intel doing everything they can to put amd out of the market with anti-consumer tactics, break of contract, bribes,etc,etc

Why you may ask... answer to that is simply "it was more profitable this way", nothing personal they'll just go with the flow for more money and for a change working together this time is the way to make sweet $$$

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

This makes sense for both Intel and AMD. Intel moves a much higher volume of laptops with dGPUs than AMD will for a long time. It's also a win for consumers, choose between intel+Nvidia, intel+amd and amd+amd. 

It's important to note that this is about putting dGPUs in laptops with Intel CPU's.  Would be nice if OP could clarify this. @jasonc_01

Wait, why? Now that AMD actually might have a very competitive product with the Ryzen + Vega APUs for laptops, why now that those are officially announced? It anything it makes far less sense now.

This rumor needs to die already.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

Wait, why? Now that AMD actually might have a very competitive product with the Ryzen + Vega APUs for laptops, why now that those are officially announced? It anything it makes far less sense now.

the article on oc3d says that this is suppost to be a higher end gpu than on the apu, so it will not compete with it, but still weird 

Just now, Misanthrope said:

I think the only answer to why is that Radeon is a separate company from AMD while Il under the same umbrella. So the business of graphics chips is autonomous to AMD and vise versa. 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

4 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

I think the only answer to why is that Radeon is a separate company from AMD while Il under the same umbrella. So the business of graphics chips is autonomous to AMD and vise versa. 

Radeon is not a separate company. Radeon is seperate division within the same company. it is not a subsidiary. Think of Intel CPUs and their storage division.

just wanted to give you a heads up!

Yeah, I'll wait for an official announcement.

Because it'd probably be the stupidest move AMD could possible make. They may as well pull out of the market and cancel Raven Ridge. Essentially they removed all reasons to buy AMD. 

Intel in the mobile space:

Faster CPU. Check.

Better IMC. Check.

Better chipset. Check.

Better developer support. Check.

Better eco system. Check.

Many long-term partnerships. Check.

Virtually a monopoly. Check.

Better GPU. Pending.

Better pricing. Not a chance.

29 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

21 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

its new apus are perfect for ultrabooks, the integrated gpu is as fast as the mx150 from nvidea and the cpu is also good, the only way this works is if its an even bigger apu, but then why not sell it themselves? (maybe lack of R&D money)

10 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Igpu was the only thing that would make ryzen APUs competitive, this makes no sense.

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Again, this is not about putting Radeon graphics on an Intel chip, it's about combing Intel CPU's with AMD dGPUs like Intel and Nvidia is already doing. 

36 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Sometimes you have to team up with your enemy to battle a disease.

Well I never how can you be so rude! NVidia is no not just simple disease it's the plague /s.

You had me almost laughing out loud in the middle of work man.

OT: Interesting Intel and AMD totally both denied this viciously a month or two ago now its apparently happening. Why lie? Just own up to it if it leaked that early.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

I... don't really trust this to be correct.

I remember a while back amd said they weren't pursuing any sort of thing with Intel.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

What?

Like half of the people on this planet already has a config like this. I have one too, just look at my sig.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Given that NVIDIA recently hinted that they might get into the CPU market (at least that's how I took it), this isn't a total surprise.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

If this means intel will remove their garbage iGPU from mid-high end CPU's and provide separate APU's like AMD then i welcome this partnership, otherwise no gtfo.

Last thing i want to see on the market is core i7/i9  6-8 cores with RX 560-580 inside of them costing 6-1000$ or some retarded frankenstein chip.

Anything above i3 should come without iGPU, maybe some lowpower locked i5's but nothing beyond that.

And hopefully all intel laptops will come with RX graphics with proper dedicated VRAM, processing units and drivers. You cant find a single decent intel cpu laptop with dedicated GPU at 4-500$ wtf.

2 minutes ago, yian88 said:

If this means intel will remove their garbage iGPU from mid-high end CPU's and provide separate APU's like AMD then i welcome this partnership, otherwise no gtfo.

Last thing i want to see on the market is core i7/i9  6-8 cores with RX 560-580 inside of them costing 6-1000$ or some retarded frankenstein chip.

Anything above i3 should come without iGPU, maybe some lowpower locked i5's but nothing beyond that.

And hopefully all intel laptops will come with RX graphics with proper dedicated VRAM, processing units and drivers. You cant find a single decent intel cpu laptop with dedicated GPU at 4-500$ wtf.

I mean, you can, you just have to look for them. If you can afford $600, you can get a desktop 4 thread pentium G4560, a GTX 1050 Ti, and 8GB of ram with a 1080p IPS panel. If you already have a desktop Skylake/Kaby CPU, you can cut an extra $50 off that price. 

@ the topic at hand: Didn't we see a fabricated story recently where someone photoshopped "Vega inside" on a CFL box? What makes this rumor any different? It's just another unidentifiable source, from some random people, making the same random claim that's been made since March of this year. Intel denied it back in March, are we to believe they've changed their mind since then?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.