Is it safe to overclock a I7-8700k to 5.0 Ghz?

Jaok

Is it safe to overclock a I7-8700k to 5.0 Ghz with a corsair h100l V2?

Maybe, maybe not.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depends on your temperature and voltage.

if temps are below 85-90c, and voltage is at or below 1.35V, then go for it!

in fact, it's safe to overclock to a billion petahertz if the above conditions are met. clockspeed has nothing to do with safety.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

it depends on your temps AND the silicon lottery. The truth is no one knows for sure. Even if you had a killer watercooling system, a chip can only be overclocked so much.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

All depends on temps and voltage. The frequency doesn’t hurt the CPU at all, you could go infinitely far with the clock speed as long as the CPU is cool enough and the voltages are low enough.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as Coffee Lake is a naturally hotter chip (50% more cores overall for each chip), we are going to see higher temperatures. 

My advice is to not surpass a 1.35 vcore. Similarly, while the maximum temperature for the Coffee Lake chips is 100c at the TJunction, I wouldn't push anything past 85c at maximum loads. My chip peaks out at that level for extremely short periods of time while all cores are at 100% load in Battlefield 1 (at 4.6ghz across all cores) in a tiny case. Avoid going any farther than that! :)

4 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Depends on your temperature and voltage.

if temps are below 85-90c, and voltage is at or below 1.35V, then go for it!

in fact, it's safe to overclock to a billion petahertz if the above conditions are met. clockspeed has nothing to do with safety.

I'm sitting at 1.19v for 4.6ghz across all cores and peaking at 80-83c (albeit in a small case). Do you believe this is OK long-term?

• 6 months later...

I've got my I7-8700k at 5Ghz with 1.35v (on CPU-Z it shows 1.344) and my idle temps 31-32 my usual gaming temps are around the low 60 and high 50. I've got a Corsair H100i V2. Still testing to see whether or not it is stable, however, so far it appears to be okay.