"The Gigabit internet War" continues in Hungary

TMS
3 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

its unlimited no limits in taxachusetts lmao

they rolled 1TB out nationwide, even to the multi-gigabit tier I was told. And of course you can pay them more to not have a cap. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

The pricing doesn't make sense but it's not that bad depending what you get then tbh it's not that bad. I would get the same as the one you have tbh. Speed isn't great but price is good and it's unlimited, also i rarely use 80, usually it farts somewhere around 20-30 so higher speeds aren't very useful most of the time.

I never knew that in other countries they had data limits :| Its a sad world out there

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Thermosman said:

I never knew that in other countries they had data limits :| Its a sad world out there

I had comcast for 10 years with no data cap then they added one. It's fucking backwards progress. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

What about data limits?

Also how the hell do you get 2000mbps? It's expensive but holy crap that's fast.

I have to pay 100+ euro's for 200/20 WITH data limit, but i don't (i pay about 40 for 80/5 unlimited)

we only have data limits on the cheapest cellular service plans

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Oh yeah don't you worry data caps are still here.

73 euro for 200/20 and a 650GB or 500GB datacap during the day. (night is unlimited)

Or, datacap galore, 51 euro's, 100/10 and a 200GB datacap...

They keep saying they are the fastest which is sort of true but they are expensive AF and datacaps everywhere, no ty.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Understandable that large cities don't have the bandwidth.  Major advantage I get by hitting an tower in the country side (less users hitting it).

Depends on who you get as the provider.  Satellite is going to have bad ping times.  If super lucky, I manage 450ms pings (on a good clear day).  Most of the time though 640-670ms pings are the average for me.  What super sucks for me: the 20GB cap on data.  Not sure how satellite providers in EU would be like.

They are ridiculous in that you can get something basic (i. e. not actually useable) at reasonable prices, but they also do not make any guarantees as to what bandwidth you will actually have, and when you want a static IP, it can get too expensive.  Actual bandwidth is an issue because they say stuff like 50 users sharing a 20Mbit link or something like that, so you´re being screwed over yet again.  They even claim you could use it for phone calls, but the ping times already forbid that.  Phones have become more or less unusable these days already because of the latency, especially with cell phones.

Anyway, I could get something satellite that looks better than what I have now on paper, but what I have now looks better on paper than the satellite, so switching to satellite might make things only worse.  Add to that the difficulties of installing a dish and running the cable, the price of the equipment and the ridiculous ping times, and they have to make a much much better offer than they do.

I want a static IP, and all providers need to be obliged to specify minimum bandwidth and a limit on reaction time in case the connection doesn´t work, plus they need to pay heavy penalties when they do not deliver what they promise, with strong control which actually works.  Without that, they will all continue to screw their customers over big time.

20 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Oh yeah don't you worry data caps are still here.

73 euro for 200/20 and a 650GB or 500GB datacap during the day. (night is unlimited)

Or, datacap galore, 51 euro's, 100/10 and a 200GB datacap...

They keep saying they are the fastest which is sort of true but they are expensive AF and datacaps everywhere, no ty.

are you guaranteed net neutrality in the EU?

Just now, Thermosman said:

Not really... both have cellular data limits but 1 of the 2 ISP's has the option to have 1 app excluded from your datacap, you can only choose from a very limited list so it's not exactly neutral...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Well the 2 big isp's have almost 100% coverage of the whole country so they do compete with each other.

But for some reason they don't and a third competitor can easily jump in, put fiber basically everywhere (again, belgium is a small country) and compete the sh*t out of the other 2.

Prices of the 2 big ISP's is going up actually (it went up in price like 2-3 times already this year) so as time moves on it's getting a bigger and bigger potential market and more profit. A new competitor can easily ask 50 bucks for 100/100 with no data limit. The competition is stuck with copper and coax so fiber can easily compete them to death.

Again, belgium isn't big, you can go from the furthest south-east corner to the furthest north-west corner with a car in 3-4 hours... You can even do it with public transport in a single day.

ISPs do not compete, they are not interested in getting customers, and they treat their customers like shit.  The only thing they are about is making money, and it doesn´t pay out to invest billions into putting cables into the ground, into the hardware needed to provide connections and into the ppl maintaining it all --- if you even can find such ppl.

So don´t hold your breath.  It doesn´t matter that Belgium isn´t a large country.

Besides, what do you expect since they turn off the streetlights at night? ;) It was always nice to drive through when they still had those ...

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

What about data limits?

Also how the hell do you get 2000mbps? It's expensive but holy crap that's fast.

I have to pay 100+ euro's for 200/20 WITH data limit, but i don't (i pay about 40 for 80/5 unlimited)

1TB/month is the data cap for Comcast/Xfinity I think

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

ha and i cant even get a solid 15/1 here and they want €4000 to get the fucking fiber from the road to the house...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, heimdali said:

They are ridiculous in that you can get something basic (i. e. not actually useable) at reasonable prices, but they also do not make any guarantees as to what bandwidth you will actually have, and when you want a static IP, it can get too expensive.  Actual bandwidth is an issue because they say stuff like 50 users sharing a 20Mbit link or something like that, so you´re being screwed over yet again.  They even claim you could use it for phone calls, but the ping times already forbid that.  Phones have become more or less unusable these days already because of the latency, especially with cell phones.

Anyway, I could get something satellite that looks better than what I have now on paper, but what I have now looks better on paper than the satellite, so switching to satellite might make things only worse.  Add to that the difficulties of installing a dish and running the cable, the price of the equipment and the ridiculous ping times, and they have to make a much much better offer than they do.

I want a static IP, and all providers need to be obliged to specify minimum bandwidth and a limit on reaction time in case the connection doesn´t work, plus they need to pay heavy penalties when they do not deliver what they promise, with strong control which actually works.  Without that, they will all continue to screw their customers over big time.

Static IP tends to be an extra cost.  By the ISPs viewpoint, that is something a business requires not the standard customer.  Yes, it sucks that is their viewpoint.  Probably too that they know they can charge extra because the average consumer don't even know what that term means.

I highly agree.  I wish ISPs where held more accountable, especially here in the States.  Also considering the way businesses and companies are going, a person needs an Internet connection to apply to jobs, check payroll, do college class work, file unemployment, and many other tasks.  Pretty much, if you don't have Internet, you are at a huge disadvantage.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, Thermosman said:

I don't think EU in itself have much laws on it, but some countries in EU does.

EDIT: actually, EU does have laws for it.

ISPs are prohibited from blocking or slowing down of Internet traffic, except where necessary. The exceptions are limited to: traffic management to comply with a legal order, to ensure network integrity and security, and to manage congestion, provided that equivalent categories of traffic are treated equally. 

But, excluding something from the data cap that is on your phone, is not against it. Because it's not slowing or blocking something spesific.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This thread must be what starving people in third world countries think of "cake boss" 

muh specs 

All parts black

17 hours ago, heimdali said:

The only thing they are about is making money,

Well um .....you know they are a business right? 

On 11/5/2017 at 5:07 PM, TMS said:

A little more than a year ago one of the ISPs in Hungary (Digi) started to offer gigabit internet options for cheap (less than $20). Another one (Telekom HU) started to provide a gigabit subscription a year ago too in response and now it's providing a new subscription with a maximum download speed of 2 Gbit/s.

Are they bundling a 5 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s network card with it, or they just go beyond 1 Gb/s for the marketing points?

(or the two devices simultaneously saturating their Ethernet adapters that nobody has?)

20 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Are they bundling a 5 Gb/s or 10 Gb/s network card with it, or they just go beyond 1 Gb/s for the marketing points?

(or the two devices simultaneously saturating their Ethernet adapters that nobody has?)

Their official statement was that the full speed of the connection could only be achieved by using the network from multiple devices and I do not have any further information about what this exactly means. :D