Headphones for true sounding music!?

moderategamer

I think MS had made a typo, I think he meant the T50RP Mk3. I have a modded T50RP (MrSpeakers Alpha Pads + Mayflower kit mod + Comfort band) and it's one of my fave cans despite my having more than 15 cans.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Can't seem to find them.

Not a fan of sennheiser either I had a cheap pair of closed backs from them many years ago and they were terrible I mean they were cheap and haven't tried any of their more pricey ones but the sound was so terrible on the cheap ones it has put me off. There are no shops here that sell decent headphones so I can't even go and test any out which sucks because everyone's different.

Cheap senns are bad. The cheapest senn to get for actual quality should be HD558/598

1 minute ago, seduce_me said:

HD6XX is the best headphone you get for $200. Now I'll just try to condense why M50x is hated by so many.

The reason why M50x is hated:

M50 was the original best budget headphone and was released during a time when there was no competition. Sure there are issues, like wonky treble and too much bass but there was no other option at the time for $100 at that time so it was recommended. AT decided to release the M50x to ride on the hype train but now there are many other better options out there to ever justify the cost of the M50x. Most people do not hate the M50x, they hate the new people who just shill M50x all the way because they have seen 1 MKBHD video. This is a typical conversation whenever it is brought up

"What headphone should I buy for cheap?"

A: "M50x"

B: "M50x is not a good choice anymore, there are better alternatives"

A: "The M50x is a good headphone and you don't know anything better. Don't hate on the M50x."

exactly my thoughts on it. Not worth 150$, but I like them. 

wonky treble and too much bass

is probably why. I'm trash for some music. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, seduce_me said:

HD6XX is the best headphone you get for $200. Now I'll just try to condense why M50x is hated by so many.

The reason why M50x is hated:

M50 was the original best budget headphone and was released during a time when there was no competition. Sure there are issues, like wonky treble and too much bass but there was no other option at the time for $100 at that time so it was recommended. AT decided to release the M50x to ride on the hype train but now there are many other better options out there to ever justify the cost of the M50x. Most people do not hate the M50x, they hate the new people who just shill M50x all the way because they have seen 1 MKBHD video. This is a typical conversation whenever it is brought up

"What headphone should I buy for cheap?"

A: "M50x"

B: "M50x is not a good choice anymore, there are better alternatives"

A: "The M50x is a good headphone and you don't know anything better. Don't hate on the M50x."

I kid you not, I was arguing that the M50Xs weren't good on a thread a few days ago and the guy literally linked that MKBHD video. I was like, "HE'S NOT AN AUDIOPHILE!"

Just now, Max_Settings said:

I kid you not, I was arguing that the M50Xs weren't good on a thread a few days ago and the guy literally linked that MKBHD video. I was like, "HE'S NOT AN AUDIOPHILE!"

plus how they look is probably important to him too. They look good. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

I think MS had made a typo, I think he meant the T50RP Mk3. I have a modded T50RP (MrSpeakers Alpha Pads + Mayflower kit mod + Comfort band) and it's one of my fave cans despite my having more than 15 cans.

About the TR90s? No that's what I meant.

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

plus how they look is probably important to him too. They look good. 

Well he had a custom red pair.

1 hour ago, LordOfLegends said:

I have a pair of m50xs and they are great. Fairly accurate. There's a graph Right Here

But the M40x'es cost less and have a more accurate sound signature, they are what I use.  I'd say get Audio Technia ATH-M40x and an DAC/Amp.  My dad got the M50x a bit later because my M40x'es were so good, but the M50x is a bit strong on the bass.

2 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Oh got them there £129 thanks

2 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

Cheap senns are bad. The cheapest senn to get for actual quality should be HD558/598

thanks I'll give them a look.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Just now, moderategamer said:

Oh got them there £129 thanks

They're 129 for stock T50RPs, a lot more with the mods mentioned.

1 minute ago, ArduinoBen said:

But the M40x'es cost less and have a more accurate sound signature, they are what I use.  I'd say get Audio Technia ATH-M40x and an DAC/Amp.  My dad got the M50x a bit later because my M40x'es were so good, but the M50x is a bit strong on the bass.

Yes the M40Xs are good, all the other M**X headphones are not.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

About the TR90s? No that's what I meant.

Damn, I'm a tad behind, I didn't know there is a TR90!:$ Looks great though, gonna keep an eye out for it......plus I'm contemplating an Aeon purchase as well.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

15 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

Can't seem to find them.

Not a fan of sennheiser either I had a cheap pair of closed backs from them many years ago and they were terrible I mean they were cheap and haven't tried any of their more pricey ones but the sound was so terrible on the cheap ones it has put me off. There are no shops here that sell decent headphones so I can't even go and test any out which sucks because everyone's different.

yah It's kinda like when people are asking "what keyboard switch should I go with" and people responding "lol idk try them all out"

Shit when I first got into keyboards no one even sold sampler packs except one place that was never in stock. Now I have like 50 keyboards (slight exageration). 

I'm lucky to have a good places here, but I discovered v6s when I was young and put an original 80s pair that someone had that were falling apart and was immediately satisfied. 

Couldn't find them anywhere at the time online, all out of stock. Hunted and hunted and settled for 7506s, which were also sold out most places at the time. Had to order them from a  camera place. 

Since then I've had like 4 pairs of v6s? I just love them. 

And that's what headphones are like. One day you'll put on a pair and you'll fall in love with them. Not because they are the best sounding but because you like them, or you've listened to them for so long. There's so may headphones I've liked and owned a few good ones, and I plan to get a good collection going one day, but I'll always own a pair of these. I've probably been wearing them for 10 years, I will always want to  hear them every now and then. It's almost an important point of reference. I always want to know what a song I like sounds like on them since I've consumed so much music on them

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, GamerDude said:

Damn, I'm a tad behind, I didn't know there is a TR90!:$ Looks great though, gonna keep an eye out for it......plus I'm contemplating an Aeon purchase as well.

Yep, the TR serious is apparently the successor to the T**RP, from what I have heard, but there is a debate if they are actually better because they are dynamic, while the RP is planar. Oh and yes the AEON I heard are amazing. I would say also look at the Edition Xs, but since you already have the HE1000s don't bother.

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yep, the TR serious is apparently the successor to the T**RP, from what I have heard, but there is a debate if they are actually better because they are dynamic, while the RP is planar. Oh and yes the AEON I heard are amazing. I would say also look at the Edition Xs, but since you already have the HE1000s don't bother.

I was wondering how you knew that I have the HE1k, then recall that I have my cans listed in my profile somewhere. Anyway, nothing beats a pic of them....though I only have 12 on my headphone X'mas 'tree'. I had to put them up on my 'tree' as the aircon in my room bit the dirt, I'd moved all my cans into my spare room (with a fully functioning aircon.....THANK GOD!). Without aircon, my old room is stuffy and hot....

bIEN45q.jpg

1 minute ago, GamerDude said:

I was wondering how you knew that I have the HE1k, then recall that I have my cans listed in my profile somewhere. Anyway, nothing beats a pic of them....though I only have 12 on my headphone X'mas 'tree'. I had to put them up on my 'tree' as the aircon in my room bit the dirt, I'd moved all my cans into my spare room (with a fully functioning aircon.....THANK GOD!). Without aircon, my old room is stuffy and hot....

bIEN45q.jpg

a headphone tree fucking love it. Reminds me of my cable wall 

pNMvBhL.jpg?1

muh specs 

All parts black

This thread has derailed, as for OP try to hear headphones in the store since we can't tell you what you like.

22 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

This thread has derailed, as for OP try to hear headphones in the store since we can't tell you what you like.

Sorry about that, my bad. I've suggested to others about trying some cans in some random audio store to gauge their sound preference, but most of the time, this isn't possible as demo cans aren't available where they live. 

To OP, have you tried any can other than the Senns, if so, any can made a positive impression on you? We can sorta gauge your sound preference based on the can you like.

Sennheiser HD650, I'm using my Asus soundcard to drive them

Insanely good sound quality, plus open-back. Works like a wonder for both music and gaming

Sadly, this one is borrowed, I'm currently looking for a used one but extremely difficult

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

the m50x's while accurate are very bland sounding cans, at that price the M40X's sound a lot more alive and you can get some nice ZMF pads for them making them both more comfortable and more affordable than the M50's while sounding better

1 hour ago, lefudgelover666 said:

the m50x's while accurate are very bland sounding cans, at that price the M40X's sound a lot more alive and you can get some nice ZMF pads for them making them both more comfortable and more affordable than the M50's while sounding better

Eh, I'd never associate 'accurate' with the M50X.....;) 

DT880 and the K7xx has been probably the 2 headphone I've enjoyed listening to across the music genres, $200 and below wise.

HD600 is great for acoustic or pop music but it feels really 'eh' in blues or rock due to the treble roll off. The bass extension is so-so as well. Vocal is probably the strongest point of the headphone for me.

I head that fidelio X2 is good sounding as well, but it's more of a 'fun' sounding than 'i wanna hear everything' sounding.

So it comes down to you OP whether your music enjoyment is more from 'fun' sounding or a really crystal clear sound that takes your breath away.

I don't get how this thread got to 3 pages of discussion talking about nothing but M50X. Like holy crap guys stop coming here, saying "M50x coz i heard it's great or it's what I own right now".

6 hours ago, lefudgelover666 said:

They are far from accurate with that bass and treble boost and mid bass that bleeds into the mids. 

For op if you want "neutral" in your budget of 150 then you basically only have K612 and they do scale quite well with a good DAC and amp, but they can also be driven by most onboard. Though there are quite a few other headphones in your budget range that are good, but they aren't "neutral" or accurate.

If you aren't really sure about what you want then go out and test stuff, there are so many different takes on how things should sound, some want the accurate sound, some want boosted bass and so on. 

13 hours ago, GamerDude said:

bIEN45q.jpg

God damn, I want that tree :D I can see a few headphones on it that I want to own, like hd800 and k812.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

12 hours ago, SeraphicWings said:

Sennheiser HD650, I'm using my Asus soundcard to drive them

Insanely good sound quality, plus open-back. Works like a wonder for both music and gaming

Sadly, this one is borrowed, I'm currently looking for a used one but extremely difficult

Yes love the 650s, but since the OP wanted a more neutral sound the 600s are more neutral than the 650s.

I'd say that the Philips SHP 9500 is probably overrated. The treble can get nasty sometimes and the bass is kinda rolled off. Otherwise, they're fantastic!

I only realized that after using the KEF M100s lately. Unfortunately, they're earphones. But I just can't put them down. They're so comfy and sound so good. 

I dunno, If I were in your shoes I'd consider these headphones (based on what I read):

- Sony MDR 7506

- AKG K612 Pro

- Audio Technica M40X (not the M50X)

The thing is, most headphones have boosted treble and bass. It's just the norm it seems. There are a lot of warm sounding headphones out there as well, like the Sennheiser 558.