iPhone X Face ID got fooled by brothers who ARE NOT TWINS

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be fair it looks like Apple hasn't exactly mastered facial recognition

I feel the same. Although many people including me don't use apple products , but most of the people know apple for waiting for a tech to get mature enough and then start using it in their products . It doesn't look to be the same thing for Face ID

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

"We've met with Hollywood professional mask makers to replicate the face details & make sure the Face id system can't be fooled "

- Phil Schiller

Were they the ones that made replicas of Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage's faces for a single Hollywood myth?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Turns out you don't need one in this case xD

? Not sure what you are getting at. You brought in a quote from a completely unrelated way to try and breach FaceID. 

This used brothers, which Apple already said could fool it!

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Evidence? Show me one case where two completely unrelated people were able to fool FaceID into thinking it was the owner of the phone. 

Should it happen in real life ? These videos are evidence that this might happen in future

btw you are an Apple fan and i don't think i'll be able to convince youxD 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

And I would have to say that Apple had only ever used one outside of the passcode fallback. 

iPhone-5: Passcode, iPhone 5s-8: TouchID and Passcode, iPhone X: FaceID and Passcode. 

Where was the outcry then? 

I was pretty sure that there was a small outcry at TouchID in the 5s, but it proved itself. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

? Not sure what you are getting at. You brought in a quote from a completely unrelated way to try and breach FaceID. 

Not sure what you're getting at , so you're admitting it failed but not failed? same as odds of guessing passwords combination is?

Details separate people.

3 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

These videos are evidence that this might happen in future

Its evidence that FaceID can be fooled by your brother or sister. 

Last I checked Apple had a whole slide with the mirror universe Mr. Spock from Star Trek on it that they used to say this.......

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

so you're admitting it failed but not failed?

I am not admitting anything, I'm telling you what Apple said about their technology. 

Siblings and twins can fool it under the right circumstances. 

And I would have to say that Apple had only ever used one outside of the passcode fallback. 

iPhone-5: Passcode, iPhone 5s-8: TouchID and Passcode, iPhone X: FaceID and Passcode. 

well back then, it was actually a master of one. touchID on iPhones was the best fingerprint sensor on a phone ever (and probably still is the best on iPhone 8).

they switched to something that worked worse, so people are mad.

I don't think that anyone can deny that touchID was more convenient, and I'd personally feel safer using fingerprint rather than face.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I have a theory, take it for what you will.

When touch ID launched, there were probably those who didn't get it and thought that this was super sci-fi next-gen FBI stuff that would make their phone a gazillion times more secure, but (I hope) by and large most people saw it for what it was - a great convenience feature, and nothing more.

Now, here comes face ID claiming to be 1M to 1 instead of a measly 50k to 1.  Just making that statement casts an impression of a focus on security, and so anything that shows it's not super strong is going to be nailed way harder.

Is that fair?  Is that even accurate?  idk.  Just a theory :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think people just liked the touch id more than the face id, and apple's hyping of the new software was hyperbolic as usual.

Granted I couldn't care either way I just like laughing at their expense, i feel this way about most companies just apple has a snobbish image so it's even funnier to poke fun at their nonsense.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

saying it doesn't negate the issue though.

my brother and I look extremely similar, so I'd never trust faceID. it's a definite downside, even if apple preemptively mentioned it.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I am not admitting anything, I'm telling you what Apple said about their technology. 

of course you're not xD

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

and I'd personally feel safer using fingerprint rather than face.

Looking at the numbers that they claim, combined with the inability of anyone to fool FaceID without a sibling, combined with the ease at which you can lift a fingerprint and fool TouchID......I can handedly say I would rather use FaceID. Especially because I don't have siblings. 

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

they switched to something that worked worse

better, they switched to something that works better. Apple doesn't know the meaning of worse nor di they have it in their vocabulary

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have a theory, take it for what you will.

When touch ID launched, there were probably those who didn't get it and thought that this was super sci-fi next-gen FBI stuff that would make their phone a gazillion times more secure, but (I hope) by and large most people saw it for what it was - a great convenience feature, and nothing more.

Now, here comes face ID claiming to be 1M to 1 instead of a measly 50k to 1.  Just making that statement casts an impression of a focus on security, and so anything that shows it's not super strong is going to be nailed way harder.

Is that fair?  Is that even accurate?  idk.  Just a theory :P

I think it's just the fact that it's seen as a step backwards. I've never seen a video of two people being able to unlock an iPhone with touchID because they have the same fingerprint. so less secure, and less convenient. that's why people hate it.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Looking at the numbers that they claim, combined with the inability of anyone to fool FaceID without a sibling, combined with the ease at which you can lift and fool TouchID......I can handedly say I would rather use FaceID. Especially because I don't have siblings. 

how do you fool touchID? if your response is a silicone finger mold, then that's just crazy stupid.

Desktop:

Laptop:

23 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

So two brothers who have a similar facial structure were not able to fool FaceID, only AFTER one of the brothers put on glasses were they able to fool it........

If its not obvious to the thread by now, the glasses eliminated enough projected dots to match that the phone allowed him to unlock it because his brother looks like him......

People can look identical without being twins....(And Apple said this already)

Also if it your sibling is that big of an issue use a damn passcode. 

Move along, move along. 

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

For the record it does work and is working as described. This includes the ability for siblings to be able to get into your phone if they look like you.

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean if you want to build a phone that does go ahead. Apple is going with FaceID and the complaints of the minority are irrelevant. 

And this is the problem with Samsung. There is no direction for the phone to go towards that is obvious. Samsung is still very much so a company that throws enough sh*t at the wall so some of it sticks. 

Sure you have options but at the cost of all of those options just being mediocre. Jack of all trades; master of none. 

14 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Evidence? Show me one case where two completely unrelated people were able to fool FaceID into thinking it was the owner of the phone. 

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is still the case. 

That statement was for people trying to fool FaceID with prosthetics. 

10 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Last I checked Apple had a whole slide with the mirror universe Mr. Spock from Star Trek on it that they used to say this.......

Siblings and twins can fool it under the right circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Looking at the numbers that they claim, combined with the inability of anyone to fool FaceID without a sibling, combined with the ease at which you can lift a fingerprint and fool TouchID......I can handedly say I would rather use FaceID. Especially because I don't have siblings. 

Just a hunch, but do you like Apple?  

if your response is a silicone finger mold, then that's just crazy stupid.

Being worried about your brother stealing your identity and stealing your phone is just as crazy. 

I think it's just the fact that it's seen as a step backwards. I've never seen a video of two people being able to unlock an iPhone with touchID because they have the same fingerprint. so less secure, and less convenient. that's why people hate it.

Yeah could be that too.  Touch ID worked, it was fast and easy, no one wanted anything different, but now they've had this swapped out for them.  Is it better?  Well, that depends what aspects of each you value, since there are certainly differences.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Last I checked Apple had a whole slide with the mirror universe Mr. Spock from Star Trek that they used to say this.......

Look the problem is not your sibling 

The problem is an stranger who looks similar enough to be able to fool face id by wearing a glass and then using it to do payment or other stuff.

You can't deny that there are similar people out there .

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I certainly like my ability to comment on the forum. 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That is fucking savage and elegantly sophisticated at the same time. Twas a beautiful moment.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

The problem is an stranger who looks similar enough to be able to fool face id by wearing a glass and then using it to do payment or other stuff.

When a case of that happens I'll consider that a valid concern.

2 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

You can't deny that there are similar people out there

Yeah and the odds of meeting your doppelgänger are so slim there are myths that if you did you would die and or break the space time continuum if you did. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Being worried about your brother stealing your identity and stealing your phone is just as crazy. 

Not even close.

I could absolutely see my brother grabbing my phone off the table, unlocking it while charging, etc. just to send a text to our parents saying "I'm gay" or rearranging all my icons, or something dumb along those lines.

However, I can't see him realistically making a mold of my finger, or creeping up on me while sleeping to unlock my phone.

Desktop:

Laptop: