Idiot touched the RGB header?!

Sdogga

I'll get to the point. Please don't lecture me to much about the idioticy displayed here, as it was a once off f*ck up for me an we all do those.

I have an old white led strip and thought it might be a nice addition to my newly constructed hardware. Since I recycled my old case, I could just spruce it up a tad. 

Whoops, let go of the ball for a moment and forgot all about the whole, "PC is on and updating 'n' stuff" and touched the strip to the header on my board marked 12V R C. Next to that on the left is a bigger "LED_C", but I believe that is unrelated to this and points to another connector. 

Well, the header sparked, the PC immediately shut down and my heart went with it. What I'd like to know is this:

What happened, how hard is it, and what can I do? And on the side of curiosity, why did it all happen in the first place? (You know, the greater explanation, like what currents went where through the completed circuit and did what elsewhere to result in such)

I came to the forums because I trust the LMG team and follow them the most. As I said, please be kind. 

Z370 XP SLI

FSP Hydro 600

i5 8400 ~ hyper 212X

Gigabyte GTX 1070Ti

Intel ssd6 NVMe PCIE SSD

other stuffs

Thanks in advance :)

Best case scenario, you've killed the RGB header, so you won't be able to use that anymore, but everything else will work fine.

Worst case scenario(which is unlikely to have happened) is that you've killed the motherboard when you shorted out the header, but that's unlikely.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

first off i have no clue why you got a 1070TI over a 1080, but thats besides the point. its entirely possible that you didnt damage anything, i have sparked loads of headers myself and nothing has ever died. you just shorted a coupple pins, triggerd over current protection or something and it shut off

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

its betty betty dangerous to mess around on your mobo when the flower power of love is on, and in your case you short circuited though your rgb header, but just an rgb header right? Only controls the lights, not a big deal unless you love rgb, and hopefully it didn't effect anything else important.

Good luck brotherane 

May Your System be Silent, and your Frames the Most Violent

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:                                                              

CPU: i7-8086K (5.1Gh/1.3V)  (Delided) Rocket Cool Copper Ihs Cover upgrade W/Liq'metal.

MOBO: Asus Maximus X-Formula Z370

CASE:  Corsair 570X

GPU: Asus Strix/oc1080Ti

PSU: Corsair HX-1000 80+Platinum

RAM: Corsair Vengeance/RGB 32Gb @ 3200mhz (XMP)

SSD: Boot:Samsung 960EVO/M.2 500Gb Storage:Samsung 860EVO/250Gb

COOLING: Ekwb Predator 360 Aio (Modified: Primo-Chill Soft Tube. Ek fittings 10mm/13mm, Xspc EC6 Coolant, EK Supremacy EVO/Nikel-Block)

ISP: SPECTRUM(TWC): 118Mbps/Download 11Mbps/Upload 56ms/Ping

Peripherals: Corsair K95/Platinum Steel-Series RIVAL 600

Monitor: Asus Strix/XG31VQ 1440P/144Hz

Hey all,

Thanks for the help so far. Unfortunately the system refuses to turn on - at all. I plugged in my reliable external HDD, which is powered, as it always spins up when it receives a USB current. I know it's fine because every night I turn off the PSU to cut the internal lights while I sleep. It didn't power on when I turned on the PSU, so, either the short killed the mobo or it killed the PSU. 

I can't be 100% that it is an RGB header, as the manual labels these pins differently, but nothing else in similar to it at all. The text under the four pins reads 12V G R B, and left of it, bigger, under a much larger shielded set of pins is LED_C. I'm guessing the four pins supply power to the strip and the larger plug of pins is the controller connection. Does this help determine if shorting the 12V G R B pins might have fluffed something major?

I didn't overload the power board I have the cable plugged into, and I'm not keen on jumpering to stop the mobo from turning off, a common test for faulty components. 

Thanks heaps in advance!

You've got a nice conversation piece for your living room or office now.  

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

Well, that's one super helpful response. Cheers for that man!

10 hours ago, Sdogga said:

Hey all,

Thanks for the help so far. Unfortunately the system refuses to turn on - at all. I plugged in my reliable external HDD, which is powered, as it always spins up when it receives a USB current. I know it's fine because every night I turn off the PSU to cut the internal lights while I sleep. It didn't power on when I turned on the PSU, so, either the short killed the mobo or it killed the PSU. 

I can't be 100% that it is an RGB header, as the manual labels these pins differently, but nothing else in similar to it at all. The text under the four pins reads 12V G R B, and left of it, bigger, under a much larger shielded set of pins is LED_C. I'm guessing the four pins supply power to the strip and the larger plug of pins is the controller connection. Does this help determine if shorting the 12V G R B pins might have fluffed something major?

I didn't overload the power board I have the cable plugged into, and I'm not keen on jumpering to stop the mobo from turning off, a common test for faulty components. 

Thanks heaps in advance!

You probably shorted one of the colors to +12V, it's more likely that you killed the motherboard, but try unplugging EVERYTHING that's not needed to just get it to POST and see if it will do that. Doubt you killed the PSU but you could have overloaded it so leave it plugged in, turned off and wait a day or so for it to unload itself. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks for the reply bananasplit, you're pretty much on the cash on this one. 

Took it in to work and they tested it out for me. Board was dead, everything else was alright. Seems odd since the strip is pure white, not RGB, but regardless of what they went to it had four inlets and four pins. It might well have just been a second power +/- for additional strips piggybacked off the end. Whatever the cause, I've got a new board now to not touch. Ever. 

Thanks for the assistance all, and remember; no matter how important Linus says RGB is, don't touch your shiz. :)

• 1 year later...
Spoiler
On 11/5/2017 at 1:59 AM, Sdogga said:

either the short killed the mobo or it killed the PSU.

Have you checked the PSU to see if it's dead? Unplug all the cables connecting the PSU to the motherboard and hard drives etc inside the case, then jumper the green wire on the 24-pin connector to the black one.

atx-connector-20-24pin.jpg.2167c889c318f7eb20561b1256b7682e.jpg

If your PSU turns on (fan should spin) then your PSU's likely working and the mobo is dead, however if the PSU doesn't turn on then the best case scenario is just the PSU died. Seeing as it's an FSP PSU my wild guess is that it's probably given up the ghost, not sure if they've improved on their build quality since the last time I used one.

Edit: Just realised you already got it checked out - my bad. Should read the whole thread next time ?

Edited by burnttoastnice

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, been a while on this thread!

@joeys332, turns out, yup, I killeda component. I ended up seeing the warranty job for the board long after I had my replacement, and Gigabyte were quoted as having repaired a faulty component. So, yeah, I dun a bad-bad goof. At the end of the day, just because a simple 12v header and a 12v LED strip match, doesn't mean they will just work. And, if you really want to try it, *do it with the PC off, you idiot!* Okay, that one might have been a bit self-directed...

@burnttoastnice actualky I've heard a lot of good things about FSP! No one I've talked too thinks they're bad, in fact it was Linus who I think toured their factory or something that sold me back then. I give FSP quite a personal bias myself, apparently TT are good as well.

Anyway, yes, it did end up being a shorted IC, but the PSU was also sus and we checked that out as well.