Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NEO_STARK

The reason why I hate DRM (Assassins Creed Origins)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So, Recently I upgraded my pc (processor) Replaced my humble and loyal Fx8320 with Ryzen 1700x xD So far I have had a great experience with my new processor. Games like GTA 5 and Witcher 3 use 45% to 55% Cpu horsepower at peak respectively. Average Cpu usage stays at 37% - 45% even for the most Cpu intensive games. Until I bought assassin's creed Origins, I experienced some shuttering and occasional frame drops from say 50fps to 25fps which caused huge lag. Thought it was a GPU issue and hence I updated my drivers yet the end results were kind of the same... Then some game news outlet posted about AC origins maxing CPU usage to 100%. This sparked my curiosity, there was no way this game could max my CPU I thought. And I was right but surprised at the same time. My CPU was at 85% usage with average usage at around 70%. Well, unless I messed something up in the bios there is no way this game should Utilize more than 60% of CPU. Ubisoft as always has dismissed the claim that Anti Tamper DRM has anything to do with this abnormal CPU usage. They went one step ahead by adding VMprotect atop Denuvo Anti-tamper. it's ironic that an Anti-piracy software needs protection for itself. xD Anyways I do believe that developers who made the game deserve to get paid every penny they ask for. Piracy is not only unethical but also a crime. Thing is, we the legitimate consumers have to experience this inconvenience. Once the game is unlocked (hacked) pirates will play the game without any restrictions whereas, we have to verify our purchase with an internet connection on top have to deal with these anti-tamper softwares constantly stressing our hardware... Why don't publishers get it that pirates will never buy the games to begin with. And it's been proven that piracy doesn't affect the overall game's sales figure. Let the quality of your games speak for itself. Great games don't need these anti-piracy softwares to get decent sales figures, we have seen CD Projekt do it and many others too. Idk why I am writing this... I am  just frustrated :( Below is an image posted on Reddit showing proof of the Anti-tamper software Maxing the CPU usage...

Ac origins.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

well, to verify if you messed stuff up in the bios, you can run a benchmark like Geekbench, and compare your score with others. if your score is really low, something is wrong. 

 

also, well said. the whole piracy thing. i feel the same way.... sadly the legitimate users are always the one's who get screwed over. 


She/Her pls :) 

Phone: iPhone 6s | 64GB iOS

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 3210M HD 4000 | 8GB RAM256GB SSD | macOS

Link to post
Share on other sites

i know people like gaming and certain games specifically, but it's not very smart to buy games with intrusive DRM, day one DLC and microtransactions for example and then came to the internet and fill it with complains. Don't support companies and games that do this. If you keep buying the games why should they care.

Don't know if it's the DRM or bad optimization but the game is shit, low fps even in high end rigs.


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i know people like gaming and certain games specifically, but it's not very smart to buy games with intrusive DRM, day one DLC and microtransactions for example and then came to the internet and fill it with complains. Don't support companies and games that do this. If you keep buying the games why should they care.

Don't know if it's the DRM or bad optimization but the game is shit, low fps even in high end rigs.

Ubisoft didn't mention about the DRM on steam and even got away with it. When Sega did the same thing with sonic mania people made a big uproar. Anyways I was sceptical about Ubi going the denuvo route again cause the DRM was ineffective in many recent games, Bethesda removed the DRM last minute from evil within 2, thought Ubi will do the same... I cancelled my preorder for Shadow of war when I heard they were adding loot boxes, AC Origins too has loot boxes but they implemented it in a better way where you can acquire any stuff without too much of a grind, obliviously you'll have to spend time but it feels rewarding instead of Grind simulator... But yeah it was a mistake that I bought this game. Poor optimization or DRM doesn't matter they has 2years to make this game, no excuses!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GitGud said:

They care more about pirates than actual paying consumers who get affected by their stupid decisions, that says it all.

that's just inverting all logic. Off course they should be doing everything to stop piracy (and disclaimer i pirate sometimes), how could they not, how could they explain that to their shareholders? The problem is the margin consumers gave them, to which point can they go before legit buyers punish them. If people buy the game why should they be concerned or exchange their methods?


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, asus killer said:

that's just inverting all logic. Off course they should be doing everything to stop piracy (and disclaimer i pirate sometimes), how could they not, how could they explain that to their shareholders? The problem is the margin consumers gave them, to which point can they go before legit buyers punish them. If people buy the game why should they be concerned or exchange their methods?

They should finaly understand this, people who pirate will always freakin pirate, they cant change their way of thinking or living, they nor lose nor gain anyhting if their game gets pirated, if only get some pirates with dignity and finances to buy the game in the end if its a quality product from a developer that respects its fans and consumers alike, like forementioned CDPR with DRM free Witcher 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GitGud said:

They should finaly understand this, people who pirate will always freakin pirate, they cant change their way of thinking or living, they nor lose nor gain anyhting if their game gets pirated, if only get some pirates with dignity and finances to buy the game in the end if its a quality product from a developer that respects its fans and consumers alike, like forementioned CDPR with DRM free Witcher 3

i agree with you on the piracy aspect. But that is irrelevant to this discussion of legit buyers being hurt by this, they should not support ubisoft and buy this game and they would not repeat this attitude, if not nothing will change. I do not buy Ubisoft games, period.

 

Regarding what Ubisoft should understand, it's a difficult discussion, they feel that DRM helps at least with the first weeks/month sale, they better than anyone should have data to back that up, i don't, so i can only speculate. I guess not all companies are willing to bet on the quality of their product like the guys from Witcher, that it sells no matter what.


.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×