HTC U11+ announced - Android Oreo, 3930mAh battery, 18:9 6" QHD display

D13H4RD
4 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

FUN FACT: Apparently, this was the original Pixel 2 XL as reported by The Verge

Kinda funny given how many issues they're having now with the LG made Pixel 2 XL, while the HTC made Pixel 2 seems to be getting by just fine.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

12 minutes ago, Exprima said:

Kinda funny given how many issues they're having now with the LG made Pixel 2 XL, while the HTC made Pixel 2 seems to be getting by just fine.

It’s not completely free of it though.

It had that sound hissing issue and one unit that failed QC got shipped out by mistake 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

I think one accidental shipment isn't too bad. Now, it should never happen; there are safeguards to prevent such a thing from happening that were ignored... but I don't think it's s serious as some people are making it out to be. In regard to the coil whine, I hope that they fix it in newer batches soon. A phone with coil while isn't ideal (but you can't say that this has never happened. The early batches of the iPhone 7 suffered from this.

It should get better over time.

But in the grand scheme of things, the smaller Pixel 2 doesn't seem to receive as much bad press as the 2 XL

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/2/2017 at 5:29 AM, FloRolf said:

Considering the production cost is approx. 250€ for a 700€ phone, I'm pretty sure there are better ways to make circumstances in production better. 

When you make it 500€ production cost and still sell for 700€ the company still makes a ton of money

You understand nothing of the logistics of selling an item (not just phones, but in general).  That production cost you cited - assuming it's accurate - doesn't even begin to cover all the costs associated with manufacturing and selling it.  Beyond the R&D cost (which is significant on its own), there's transportation costs, retail store costs, employee costs as well as after sale support costs.  And that's not even mentioning that the store which sells it has to make a profit on the device also.

Obviously these companies are making a profit, but the associated costs aren't nearly as simplistic as you're making it out to be.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:03 AM, Exprima said:

I honestly think the only reason Google switched from HTC to LG with the XL2 was for the OLED bezel less display (which is something that HTC still hasn't figured out yet). 

4 minutes ago, linkboy said:

I honestly think the only reason Google switched from HTC to LG with the XL2 was for the OLED bezel less display (which is something that HTC still hasn't figured out yet). 

The thing is I feel OLED with its shortcomings goes against Google's "simple and functional" approach. Sure OLED might have nice colors and saturation but I would take IPS over it any day of the week if it means I don't have to deal with burn-in after 3 months.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

1 minute ago, Exprima said:

The thing is I feel OLED with its shortcomings goes against Google's "simple and functional" approach. Sure OLED might have nice colors and saturation but I would take IPS over it any day of the week if it means I don't have to deal with burn-in after 3 months.

The trend in phones right now is bezel less displays. If Google released another XL with bezels the size of the U11 and tried to put it up against Samsung's lineup or the V30, the phone would be dead on arrival.

The biggest issue with the XL 2 is LG. I agree, they should have gone with a bezel less LCD, like the Essential phone has. 

I really wanted to get a XL2, as I've only owned Pixel and Nexus phones going back to 2012. I instead opted for a Note 8 due to the issues with the XL 2 and the fact that Google still won't sell these phones in stores other then Verizon.

Just now, linkboy said:

The trend in phones right now is bezel less displays. If Google released another XL with bezels the size of the U11 and tried to put it up against Samsung's lineup or the V30, the phone would be dead on arrival.

The biggest issue with the XL 2 is LG. I agree, they should have gone with a bezel less LCD, like the Essential phone has. 

I really wanted to get a XL2, as I've only owned Pixel and Nexus phones going back to 2012. I instead opted for a Note 8 due to the issues with the XL 2 and the fact that Google still won't sell these phones in stores other then Verizon.

I'm really happy I went with my G6 when it went down to $480. I get a nice IPS display that still has the new trendy 2:1 aspect ratio. The smaller Pixel 2 definitely piqued my interest but that lack of wireless charging and a headphone jack are kind of deal breakers. 

20 hours ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

I'm well aware they finance the phones through their web store.

My point is that the vast majority of people get their phone through their carrier. If Google could get these phones in AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile stores, it would help to get these phones into people's hands and help expand the brand.

I work in a T-Mobile store and would love nothing more then to recommend the Pixel to people, but since we don't carry them in store, it's really not a option (even though it works perfectly fine on all networks).

The vast majority of people want to walk into a phone store, get everything activated and walk out with a new phone. They don't want to apply online, wait for the credit check to go through, wait for the phone to ship and then have to set the phone up on their own. To the average person, the Pixel line of phones are only available on Verizon because they're only available (in retail) at Verizon stores and are highlighted in Verizon ads.

They don't know (or care to know) that they're compatible with Sprint, Verizon and AT&T (voLTE and Wi-Fi calling excluded in AT&T's case).

that reminds me way to much of this

gameboy-color-konsole-clear-atomic-purple-neu.jpg.1d014f957e324de30e0d6bdb0d4bc776.jpg

and i was and am not a fan :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 11/7/2017 at 9:36 AM, Exprima said:

I'm really happy I went with my G6 when it went down to $480. I get a nice IPS display that still has the new trendy 2:1 aspect ratio. The smaller Pixel 2 definitely piqued my interest but that lack of wireless charging and a headphone jack are kind of deal breakers. 

I have honestly never seen wireless charging actually being used. 

I would love a headphone jack and it used to be a dealbreaker for me but I guess I decided I could live with it.