IS DISCORD REALLY THE BEST? - Voice Chat Platform Showdown

The voice chat scene has long been dominated by TeamSpeak, Mumble, and Skype. Discord aims to change that, but is it really up to snuff? Today we find out.

Buy Microphones
Amazon: http://geni.us/0Pqgh
Newegg: http://geni.us/N16HC

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Yes it is Never have any problems :D

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

Yes. Now lets watch the video!

/s

I really never used Discord for voice chat, but it's one of the few text message programs I actually didn't dislike. From the very few voice chats I did, it was good.. Although you sometimes had that robot voice thing. But that might be a problem of the past (or server location, audio channel bitrate, etc.)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes, discord is the best. Don’t have to worry about being ddossed/Doxxed like skype and ts.

No mentions for Telegram?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

One question left standing is how each of the programs affect your performance in-game. I've always heard Skype tanks your fps more than the alternatives. I feel like I've seen you guys have a video about it before, or it could be some other channel, but I feel it should have earned a mention in the video when one of your examples were how the overlays were, not even mentioning how it performed.

e thing he missed is discords game invites that are getting rolled out, divinity 2 and some other game i forgot can send invites through it

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Hey I like that ModMic Changed the gam.... oh it didn't? Well, I am sad that we didn't get a voice clip in the video! lol.

However, we ARE available in the raw file zip - Clearly has some issues with the mic being in the breath stream (plosives) but... all in all it sounds pretty solid in my incredibly bias opinion :)  Zip file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-egS92c0XIScE9FMTVqYU5FeUk/view

We especially sounded better on Skype, which was interesting and unexpected. I'd go so far as to say we sounded better than the Yeti there.

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

Discord it more wat ever like seriously the hentai Steam group with 200,000 members has a discord where they post some more explicit " Anime" lol, and I like it that way becuase almost everyone has a discord so one app or website can conneect me to hundreds of thousands of people with mutual likes, like seriously there are groups for things like gaming channels to fucking animators.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

I use Discord daily to talk to my mates. It's nice to have music bots, which Skype calls never had. From what I've used, it's the best so far.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

I love discord more that my family. Yes it is the best.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Do not forget that Discord also has support for Android and it's free like Skype. At the other end we have Mumble that depends on third-party applications and TeamSpeak which is fully paid.
I was an adept user of TeamSpeak, but since Discord appeared I adapted very quickly and convinced my friends to leave Skype.
(H
ow to forget those calls of 20 people when the TS server fell in the middle of a Raid )

6 minutes ago, Albrod said:

Do not forget that Discord also has support for Android and it's free like Skype. At the other end we have Mumble that depends on third-party applications and TeamSpeak which is fully paid.
I was an adept user of TeamSpeak, but since Discord appeared I adapted very quickly and convinced my friends to leave Skype.
(H
ow to forget those calls of 20 people when the TS server fell in the middle of a Raid )

Discord is great in a lot of ways, but always remember that when a product is free, you often ARE the product.

It's not currently clear if or how Discord is monetizing their platform, but it'll either have to become paid somehow (impossible imo given their messaging and fanbase) or they'll start doing some stuff (or maybe already are doing some stuff for all we know) that many of their users aren't going to like very much.

Jake addressed this briefly in the video, but I think it's something that many Discord users don't really think about (but probably should).

Curious about all the settings used for testing audio in TS and Mumble since those have more granularity than on/off.

1 hour ago, nicklmg said:

Discord is great in a lot of ways, but always remember that when a product is free, you often ARE the product.

It's not currently clear if or how Discord is monetizing their platform, but it'll either have to become paid somehow (impossible imo given their messaging and fanbase) or they'll start doing some stuff (or maybe already are doing some stuff for all we know) that many of their users aren't going to like very much.

Jake addressed this briefly in the video, but I think it's something that many Discord users don't really think about (but probably should).

They do have Discord Nitro as one form of income, though I wouldn't be surprised if they're selling some data.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'll post what I commented on YouTube here:

Anytime I used Discord, people all sound like they are talking through tin cans. TS just has better voice quality from my experience and I like to be able to host my own server and have full control over it. You can set up TS on a cheap VPS for like 3$/mo and if you find a cracked license (not hard to find) you can host multiple virtual servers and have unlimited slots. The sheer power you have with the server group setting is a massive plus for me too.

Discord is a nice replacement for IRC and things like that but I would never use it for VoIP.

I have my own TS in a EU datacenter and when my friends who normally use Discord use my TS instead there is a big difference in their mic quality. I don't know if they have their Discord set up in some weird way but there is a noticeable difference. Yes, I know Discord and TS use the same codec by default but I assume Discord limits the bitrate to keep bandwidth down, something you can control yourself and increase with TS.

Speaking of TS servers, I host a public one if anyone here needs a server to use.  https://ocen.uk

Just message me on there if you want a VIP channel.

Edited by Touuqe
added YT comment