Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ape

Bitwit

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Greedy would be $100 month.

 

$3 a month is not. That's an incredibly small amount of money. You're not paying for free content. You're paying for the bonus benefits, and of course, to directly support them.

 

That's like saying Patreon is greedy.

 

Also YouTube is only free because of ads. Ads which many people block now - which has resulted in declining ad revenue, which resulted in FPC to augment income.

 

As for $10/mo for "all" FPC channels? That would depend on how many channels there are. But that's likely not going to happen.

 

I could see bundle prices though - eg: $6/mo for 3 channels, or $10/mo for 5, etc.

Nobody would pay $100 to watch a youtube video a week early, that's illogical.

 

It's not logical to pay for something that will be free to everyone in a few short days that you don't need to survive.


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dexT said:

Nobody would pay $100 to watch a youtube video a week early, that's illogical.

 

It's not logical to pay for something that will be free to everyone in a few short days that you don't need to survive.

So what you're saying is you don't value anything of luxury? Because you "don't need it to survive"?

 

That's an insane position to have, in my opinion.

 

You seem to be stuck on the idea that other people value things you don't. If I have disposable income to spare, and I want to spend it on a LMG FPC subscription to view early content, and get all of the other numerous perks that you ignore, then that's totally acceptable.

 

If you can't spend that money, or otherwise don't care about high quality offline downloads, etc, then sure, don't sub. But your position is basically "people who don't agree with me are dumb".


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew16 said:

Ahh man. It looks like they removed the 1 year plan. wanted to get it at the end of the week. Owell, asked Linus on a live stream 2 weeks ago and he said that it would most likely still be available for 3 weeks. I stuffed up :(

Stay tuned. Once the new site goes up, there will likely be a short grace period for people to jump on yearly subscriptions or use alternate payment methods that weren't supported before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So what you're saying is you don't value anything of luxury? Because you "don't need it to survive"?

 

That's an insane position to have, in my opinion.

 

You seem to be stuck on the idea that other people value things you don't. If I have disposable income to spare, and I want to spend it on a LMG FPC subscription to view early content, and get all of the other numerous perks that you ignore, then that's totally acceptable.

 

If you can't spend that money, or otherwise don't care about high quality offline downloads, etc, then sure, don't sub. But your position is basically "people who don't agree with me are dumb".

No, It's illogical to spend money on something that will be free days later.

 

Watching a youtube video early is not what I'd call a luxury. If one does that's sad.  What are these numerous, extreme perks I ignore btw?

 

Why is my OG statement illogical?


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dexT said:

No, It's illogical to spend money on something that will be free days later.

 

Watching a youtube video early is not what I'd call a luxury. If one does that's sad.  What are these numerous, extreme perks I ignore btw?

 

Why is my OG statement illogical?

you dont spend money to get it early, you spend money to support the person making it. as a return that person gives you a short early access, higher quality videos, on an ad-free platform.

 

the reason why it is a subscription per channel seperate, is because you are supporting the channel, *not* the platform. ie besides platform running costs, all the money goes to the person making the stuff you watch. the only reason why it is a single platform for multiple channels is because it saves development and running cost, so in turn more of that cash goes towards giving kyle more RGB instead of servers to host kyle's videos off of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The benefits of FPC include:

1. Early videos

2. Potentially exclusive content/videos

3. Much higher quality video over YouTube

4. Ability to download files for offline viewing

5. Private subforum for subscribers to chat, etc

 

13 minutes ago, dexT said:

No, It's illogical to spend money on something that will be free days later.

 

Watching a youtube video early is not what I'd call a luxury. If one does that's sad.  What are these numerous, extreme perks I ignore btw?

 

Why is my OG statement illogical?

Since you somehow keep missing it, I'll requote the same post I made (to which you replied and quoted these very same points).

 

Oh, also add:

6. Ad-free experience (No pre or post ads, and integrated ad spots are removed) (Thanks @manikyath for reminding me)

 

Hell, #6 alone would be worth it for a large portion of our viewer base who despise ads.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

 

Since you somehow keep missing it, I'll requote the same post I made (to which you replied and quoted these very same points).

 

Oh, also add:

6. Ad-free experience (No pre or post ads, and integrated ad spots are removed) (Thanks @manikyath for reminding me)

 

Hell, #6 alone would be worth it for a large portion of our viewer base who despise ads.

i'd pay money just to not deal with the sort of ads i face on the youtubes.. you lot have it good, if i see more than 3 different ads on a day i'm satisfied. i watch twitch trough livestreamer just so i dont have to see the same terrible 30 second kellogs ad every time i switch channel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

 

Since you somehow keep missing it, I'll requote the same post I made (to which you replied and quoted these very same points).

 

Oh, also add:

6. Ad-free experience (No pre or post ads, and integrated ad spots are removed) (Thanks @manikyath for reminding me)

 

Hell, #6 alone would be worth it for a large portion of our viewer base who despise ads.

I thought those were side-effects not perks as they are not anything I don't have already or care about.

 

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you dont spend money to get it early, you spend money to support the person making it. as a return that person gives you a short early access, higher quality videos, on an ad-free platform.

 

the reason why it is a subscription per channel seperate, is because you are supporting the channel, *not* the platform. ie besides platform running costs, all the money goes to the person making the stuff you watch. the only reason why it is a single platform for multiple channels is because it saves development and running cost, so in turn more of that cash goes towards giving kyle more RGB instead of servers to host kyle's videos off of.

Meh.

 

So how do you both like using FP. Would you say it's worth it to you?


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dexT said:

I thought those were side-effects not perks as they are not anything I don't have already or care about.

 

Meh.

 

So how do you both like using FP. Would you say it's worth it to you?

Personally I don't use it. I see the value of the extras, but I personally have not decided to make the investment yet. I would also require there to be an app for both XBOX One and Roku. Lack of either would be a deal breaker.

 

Perhaps once they leave Beta, I will give it a shot.

 

Look for people that say "LMG Pilot" under their username, and ask them.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dexT said:

So how do you both like using FP. Would you say it's worth it to you?

i'm watching how the platform grows, but as it stands i've yet to sink a single dollar (or more specific, euro) into supporting a creator, mostly because my bank is an ass, so payment options are very limited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Is Floatplane here to replace YouTube or just to see early access stuff? If you're paying $3 for early access stuff that's awesome. If you have to pay $3 to watch content at all then that sucks. I would love to see a alternate to YouTube though, just not through a paid sub.

 

Its not to replace YT. Its about supporting your favorite creators and getting some extra's on side. Mainly ad-free and early access content.

 

3 hours ago, CoalitionGaming said:

Been interested in Floatplane since we've heard about it, but i imagine one must be an established youtuber/content creator with a sizeable following to try to become a content creator on Floatplane Club?

 

For now its invitation only. Because of obvious reasons. FP would be loosing money if you wouldn't have fans who are willing to pay.

 

3 hours ago, CoalitionGaming said:

Yeah i get that. But maybe as a growing channel, could have been like the discount option lol. Everyone else $3-$5 or whatever, "small" channels $1 or so. Options i guess, but i definitely feel ya on that. Will keep on chugging along!

 

Problem is, at least for now, that $3 is smallest fee it's reasonable to do with PayPal. Otherwise PayPal would be taking biggest cut of every payment. Maybe when they get better payment system there will be lower price points. Who knows.

 

3 hours ago, dexT said:

Naw this is retarded and greedy AF and destined for failure. $3 per channel for a video a week early? How many channels do they think the average underage LTT fan will sub to?

 

LMG fan would need to sub only for LMG content. Bitwit fans to only Bitwit content. Thats how it works. I don't understand how you are coming to conclusion that giving option for direct-ish support is greedy and stupid. If anything, its smart and more profitable than relying YT ad money or merch.

 

2 hours ago, dexT said:

I'm over 30, have my own buisiness and would not pay $1 a year to watch my full sub list of videos a week early. If watching youtube is your life then I can see the draw of this but still a bad deal.

 

Thats how you like things. FP is mainly for supporting someone you like. Same way that you do by buying music from favorite band, or actually buying anything that isn't consumable or used for some real purpose. All movies, sporting events, all that is supporting something. Ofc you are paying about ton of crap with those tickets and most of money will go to greedy overlords. If price tags in here would be over $7 per creator, that would be greedy. From whose part, idk. If it was everyone, probably FP/LMG. If it was just some channels, then those creators. But with this pricing most of money will go to creator, FP getting cut for running service.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

LMG fan would need to sub only for LMG content. Bitwit fans to only Bitwit content. Thats how it works. I don't understand how you are coming to conclusion that giving option for direct-ish support is greedy and stupid. If anything, its smart and more profitable than relying YT ad money or merch.

 

 

Thats how you like things. FP is mainly for supporting someone you like. Same way that you do by buying music from favorite band, or actually buying anything that isn't consumable or used for some real purpose. All movies, sporting events, all that is supporting something. Ofc you are paying about ton of crap with those tickets and most of money will go to greedy overlords. If price tags in here would be over $7 per creator, that would be greedy. From whose part, idk. If it was everyone, probably FP/LMG. If it was just some channels, then those creators. But with this pricing most of money will go to creator, FP getting cut for running service.

Gotcha it's all about the money.

 

I don't know If I'd compare watching a video early to going to a live music show. And unless you only go to Taylor Swift or Katy Perry shows you'll find the ticket price is around 2 to 4 Floatplane subs.


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, aselwyn1 said:

is there no way to subscribe for a entire year vs a month?

Not for Bitwit. Linus already mentioned near the beginning of the thread that in a few months Bitwit will have additional payment options available. I assume they're still working out all the details.

 

FPC is still in Beta, after all. Bitwit is basically a guinea pig.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Stay tuned. Once the new site goes up, there will likely be a short grace period for people to jump on yearly subscriptions or use alternate payment methods that weren't supported before.

Thank you for the reply. Glad to hear.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dexT said:

Gotcha it's all about the money.

 

I don't know If I'd compare watching a video early to going to a live music show. And unless you only go to Taylor Swift or Katy Perry shows you'll find the ticket price is around 2 to 4 Floatplane subs.

Fair enough. As small business owner I'm sure you too are giving stuff away for free, selling ad spots to bigger companies to keep money flowing in.

 

I find it odd that you can't see this from their perspective at all.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Fair enough. As small business owner I'm sure you too are giving stuff away for free, selling ad spots to bigger companies to keep money flowing in.

 

I find it odd that you can't see this from their perspective at all.

Mostly just free stuff/help for families on down times.

 

No I see from their perspective. They want money and know their average demographic doesn't have a life and can bleed them.


.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dexT said:

Mostly just free stuff/help for families on down times.

 

No I see from their perspective. They want money and know their average demographic doesn't have a life and can bleed them.

Of course they want money. They're a business. That's not greed, that's capitalism. Payment for services rendered.

 

I don't know what their average demographic is, but I'm a 45 year old bureaucrat with a wife and kid who's also a tech fanboy and is rooting for the local boys. I've been watching Linus since his NCIX days and want him to succeed. Instead of hopes and prayers and good thoughts, I provide him with cash.

 

If I find that I'm dissatisfied with Floatplane, like any good consumer I'll stop buying his product. You seem to be under the impression that I've been duped or swindled into parting with my cash. This is not the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, b3ar said:

Of course they want money. They're a business. That's not greed, that's capitalism. Payment for services rendered.

 

I don't know what their average demographic is, but I'm a 45 year old bureaucrat with a wife and kid who's also a tech fanboy and is rooting for the local boys. I've been watching Linus since his NCIX days and want him to succeed. Instead of hopes and prayers and good thoughts, I provide him with cash.

 

If I find that I'm dissatisfied with Floatplane, like any good consumer I'll stop buying his product. You seem to be under the impression that I've been duped or swindled into parting with my cash. This is not the case.

Much appreciated. 

 

We figure if even a fraction of a percent cares this much about us and what we're doing we can make this platform work and further reduce our reliance on Our Benevolent Overlord...

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dexT said:

Mostly just free stuff/help for families on down times.

 

No I see from their perspective. They want money and know their average demographic doesn't have a life and can bleed them.

LTT is a business. They need to make money to pay their employees. They need money to pay for equipment. They need money to upgrade their sets and pay for their lease and support their families. You're a business owner. You know this.

 

While they aren't a business many people would consider "essential" in their lives, there are a ton of things where people spend money on that aren't "essential" in their lives. You don't have to go to hockey or baseball games, you dont have to go to concerts or buy that new smartphone or that brand new camera or graphics card. None of these things are essential in our lives. Hell, that computer or smartphone you're using technically isn't essential in your life unless you have a specific use case which makes you absolutely need it for.

 

Floatplane is a way for fans to give back to their favorite content creators. You want to just get the videos for free? That's fine, because they honestly don't need you to spend what, a staggering $36 DOLLARS A YEAR!?!? WOW. so much money. People spend more money in a single day on coffee then they would a month on Floatplane.

 

I've personally watched their content for a relatively short period of time and do think that they are worth the $3 a month. They are already worth my time, why not contribute so they have the money to create more and better content for us in the future? Here's the thing. People will spend money on what they like and what they value. Personally, I value the creative community, the people who put their work out there and their music out their and their videos out their for people to enjoy. I buy photo books from photographers that are putting themselves out there to make a living and support artists whom I want to see succeed. Sure I can go online and look at images from those photographers or those paintings from those artists or torrent the music I want to hear instead of buying albums, but I see the value in supporting the creators I enjoy, so whether or not you think a business charging money for content they worked hard to produce is a "dirty money grab", (FYI: its not, they value their work, their time, and their effort and its definitely not free to create) I, and many other people have decided that @LinusTech and his team is worth the 0.001% of our paychecks to show our support for some of our favorite creators.


Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

Link to post
Share on other sites

You just have to look at it in terms of $$$ to hours of entertainment
If you use going to the cinema as a reference, personally I cant go see a movie without spending $15 on a ticket. But that's Victoria.

I'm going to list some rough values but I think most of you should see my point by the end. 
 

Say you go see a 2hr picture that's $7.5/hr for entertainment, and people pay that all the time, without batting an eye. 

Using that as a basis and assuming the following


1 Video Per business day, or 260 videos in 2017 
Paying 38.40 CAN per year

0.63 cents an hour for LTT Content that's a hell of a value....
 

Especially considering if you buy a newly released game at $79.99 and only play it for 20hrs 

That's $4/hr an hour, 

Plus with floatplane, no adds and better quality. 
Anything that can help draw add revue and interest away from Youtube as is good. We need alternatives, Youtube has a monopoly in the current marketspace and until we see competition, things like the add-pocalypse and rampant demonetization will continue to happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Much appreciated. 

 

We figure if even a fraction of a percent cares this much about us and what we're doing we can make this platform work and further reduce our reliance on Our Benevolent Overlord...

I have a couple of questions about FPC that I haven't seen addressed (at least, not since development got into high gear):

 

1. Is there an ETA on Streaming Apps? Eg: Roku/XBOX/PS4/iOS/Android, etc. The two that are important to me are Roku and XBOX, as that's how I primarily consume YT content.

 

2. How are you planning on handling Copyright claims and DMCA, etc? YouTube has an "automated" system that heavily favours the copyright holder, so much that you almost don't even need proof to have a video taken down (even if you don't have any rights to it at all). I doubt it'll be an issue at first, since it'll be a select few channel creators, but sooner or later, if FPC grows, this will no doubt need a system in place.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I have a couple of questions about FPC that I haven't seen addressed (at least, not since development got into high gear):

 

1. Is there an ETA on Streaming Apps? Eg: Roku/XBOX/PS4/iOS/Android, etc. The two that are important to me are Roku and XBOX, as that's how I primarily consume YT content.

 

2. How are you planning on handling Copyright claims and DMCA, etc? YouTube has an "automated" system that heavily favours the copyright holder, so much that you almost don't even need proof to have a video taken down (even if you don't have any rights to it at all). I doubt it'll be an issue at first, since it'll be a select few channel creators, but sooner or later, if FPC grows, this will no doubt need a system in place.

1. Not right now, but we do understand the importance.

 

2. We intend to comply with the DMCA. As for an automated system, I suspect it would be a LONG time before we would have any need for something like that, given that all the content will be paywalled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2017 at 12:22 AM, Clockwork_princess said:

but what does effect me is not being able to watch the videos unless I pay

well thats just not the case. you get all the content anyway. before floatplane existed all videos were completed about a week before release. it was their "buffer" as they called it. so watching on youtube you get content like always, the difference is they dont have as much as a buffer around uploading to floatplane, hence the inconsistent upload times to floatplane.

 

TLDR: if you watch on youtube nothing has changed as far as upload speed in many years (the 1 week buffer always existed)


Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2017 at 9:47 AM, dexT said:

-snip-

 

Then why you keep posting here? No one is forcing you to do it. We who pay do it for various reasons. I'm supporting them as crew, as small business. I don't pay for content, or even extras. I could live without those. I bought Bitwit for single month since it really is drop in my current expenses overall. Not buying another beer this week covers that. I don't watch that content, nor will be paying more than first month. If FP adds another before site launches, I will probably buy those for first month also, even if I don't know who they are. Thats my choice.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×