Intel Haswell incoming this summer

Artorias

Intel has recently announced on their facebook page that they will be revealing their 4th Gen Intel® Core™ code named "Haswell" this coming summer. Should we expect some huge improvements on performance per core? Or should we just expect some more power saving Processors and slightly improved integrated GPU's? Here's the link below:

Intel's Global Facebook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151361881501850&set=a.59511371849.82597.22707976849&type=1&theater

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

see for yourself.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-performance,3461.html

as said above mostly power saving and IGPU.

there are some tangible improvements

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-performance,3461-4.html

but it's not huge.

it's not like the difference between Wolfdale (Core 2) and Nehalem (first gen core i)

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

are we EVER going to see a desktop chip ever again?

to clarify, everything after nehalem was very clearly optimized for mobile.

I disagree; sandybridge was a pretty big jump.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

SandyBridge was huge improvement from 1st gen CPUs.

Thats bullshit, sorry.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

are we EVER going to see a desktop chip ever again? to clarify' date=' everything after nehalem was very clearly optimized for mobile.[/quote']

Well... Let's leave that unanswered question for the next generation of CPU's. Shall we? :D

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).

They are mostly focusing on powersaving and IGPU for mobile hopefully we see something good from AMD?

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I was more interested about the igpu on the haswell, the rest is like... meh. And I would sit back and watch how AMD counters this. I do hope AMD can come out with something competitive at the flagship end of chips.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

They are mostly focusing on powersaving and IGPU for mobile hopefully we see something good from AMD?
I was more interested about the igpu on the haswell' date=' the rest is like... meh. And I would sit back and watch how AMD counters this. I do hope AMD can come out with something competitive at the flagship end of chips.[/quote']

Well we do have AMD's Steamroller coming out 2013Q4 or 2014Q1, we'll just have to wait and see how that turns out, if Haswell doesn't perform any better than Sandy/Ivy then Steamroller might be the killing factor for next generation, or at least until Broadwell comes about, but then Excavator could be a great competitor, guess time will tell.

Probably. Intel is planning to release an IvyBridge-E chip similar to the Sandbridge-E chips. I also believe there is supposed to be an 8-core SandyBridge-E processor being release Q3 or Q4 as well. Of course they are most likely going to have a pretty hefty price tag along with them.

from what i've seen between the 3770k and the 4770k there is a 14% increase in cpu performance overall and o decent igpu performance increase making newer games playable on medium at 720p

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

I think a lot of people will still be sticking around with their Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, though...

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

I think a lot of people will still be sticking around with their Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge' date=' though...[/quote']

But not bad for those of us who don't have Sandy or Ivy ^_^

Will this IGPU be a good addition to a gamer build with a dedicated GPU ? (With the VirtuMVP thingy) Or the software are still worthless ?

The latest IGPU are quite strong, it would be a shame to not use them.

Will this IGPU be a good addition to a gamer build with a dedicated GPU ? (With the VirtuMVP thingy) Or the software are still worthless ? The latest IGPU are quite strong' date=' it would be a shame to not use them. [/quote']

Well, if your motherboard features VirtuMVP, then yes, because your PC will consume less power by changing which GPU that your system will be using depending on what application your running.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

I'm looking forward more for the Ivy Bridge-E.

4930k @ 4.0 GHz - Rampage IV Black - 16GB Dominator Platnium 1600 Cas 8 - 2x 780TI Classified SLI - 640 GT - Xonar Pheobus - 2x 128GB 840 Pro RAID 0 - 250GB 840 EVO - Live Gamer HD - AX1200i - COSMOS II - H100i - 4x SP120 - 4x AF120 - AF140 - 3x U3014 - Blackwidow Ultimate - Naga - Mouse Bungee - Manticor - 2x Sabertooth - Atrox - T500RS - TH8RS - Tiamat 7.1 - SP2500 - c920 - Smart-UPS SMT1500

I'm looking forward more for the Ivy Bridge-E.
Ivy Bridge-E is still on Q3. You'll have to wait another quarter, bro. :D

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

My understanding is that Intel is pushing for power saving innovations to allow them to branch out into mobile hardware.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

i7 920 are still awesome with the 3 channel memory.

Got one for home server and friends use it for playing when they come home. (With an SSD no much difference from my 3570K)

My understanding is that Intel is pushing for power saving innovations to allow them to branch out into mobile hardware.
Yup, they're really trying to branch out into mobile hardware. So, I think it's safe to say "It's not worth it to upgrade from Sandy Bridge to Haswell".

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

I agree with NapalmX. It's not worth it for an upgrade, I think.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/Intels-Broadwell-Goes-BGA-Only-Implications-Future-Desktops

After Haswell, Broadwell is BGA only. However, Skylake will be LGA.

EDIT: Found this which says Broadwell will have an LGA chip.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_says_company_committed_sockets2012

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking