Assassins Creed Origin DRM Hammers Gamers’ CPUs

jagdtigger

Assassin's Creed Origins gamers are reporting massive CPU utilization. While the game is said to be quite resource-hungry already, game cracker Voksi informs TorrentFreak that anti-piracy efforts are to blame. With Denuvo in trouble, Ubisoft has called in reinforcements which are reportedly dragging down all but the most powerful machines. "It's anti-consumer and a disgusting move," he says.

“It seems that Ubisoft decided that Denuvo is not enough to stop pirates in the crucial first days [after release] anymore, so they have implemented an iteration of VMProtect over it,” Voksi explains.

https://torrentfreak.com/assassins-creed-origin-drm-hammers-gamers-cpus-171030/

Ok, so I played the game for a bit, tried to trace what is happening and here it is, complete proof that the game is calling VMProtect section (.vmp0) at run-time non-stop. God only knows how deep it goes.

Proof: https://image.prntscr.com/image/_6qmeqq0RBCMIAtGK8VnRw.png

Well it seems ubisoft totally lost it, 2 DRM is worse enough in itself but to call on one of them non-stop is just insane. Im afraid if this is not stopped in its tracks it will "infect" other studios as well... They always complain about piracy but for some reason only the paying customer gets screwed , meanwhile pirates have a better experience because the resource hog DRM is stripped out from their game. Ubisoft tries to grasp harder but in the end they will loose even more because of that... 9_9

/EDIT

Just a little update:

In a statement to Ars Technica, a Ubisoft spokesperson said bluntly that "the anti-tamper solutions implemented in the Windows PC version of Assassin’s Creed Origins have no perceptible effect on game performance." The spokesperson added that the game "uses the full extent of the minimum and recommended PC system requirements... while ensuring a steady 30fps performance."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/11/ubisoft-denies-pc-drm-is-slowing-down-assassins-creed-origins/

They are lying alright. They seriously think anyone believes it after it was found that the game calls the drm non-stop?!

Edited by jagdtigger

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

They always complain about piracy but for some reason only the paying customer gets screwed , meanwhile pirates have a better experience because the resource hog DRM is stripped out from their game.

DRM will stop when pirates stop. It will continue to hurt the paying customers as this is a vicious endless cycle. 

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/assassins-creed-origins-benchmark/3/#diagramm-cpu-tests-in-assassins-creed-origins-auf-einer-gtx-1080-ti-strix-1920-1080

In German, but benchmark results for the game with a 1080 Ti. The 7600k gets murdered at 1080p by the Ryzen 5 1600X. 12 threads for AMD or 8 really fast threads seems like a baseline, at least in that testing, to get around the issue.

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

DRM will stop when pirates stop. It will continue to hurt the paying customers as this is a vicious endless cycle. 

Funny how GoG and CDPR are getting along just fine without any DRM... 9_9 Top it off there is a research commissioned by the EU that found that piracy has a positive effect in the gaming industry:

The study found that piracy had a slightly positive effect on the videogames industry, suggesting that those who play pirate games eventually become buyers of official content.

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So...never?

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know a guy with a 5960x, he torrents games because he bought expensive hardware, rip ubi.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Funny how GoG and CDPR are getting along just fine without any DRM... 9_9 Top it off there is a research commissioned by the EU that found that piracy has a positive effect in the gaming industry:

I am not arguing whether or not it hurts the market or not as piracy has shown not to impact sales. But it that companies dont like to be stolen from. 

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I am not arguing whether or not it hurts the market or not as piracy has shown not to impact sales. But it that companies dont like to be stolen from. 

Well basically that is a false statement since nothing is stolen when you download something. And it was proven that 1 download != 1 lost sale. They just has to accept that and work on ethical methods to get people buy their game voluntarily. Until then they gonna waste their money on this big whack-a-mole game...

Edited by jagdtigger

4 minutes ago, Cookybiscuit said:

Once again the people who pirate the game get a much better experience than the people who pay for it, looking forward to playing this game for free with no Uplay and with no DRM hurting FPS.

Well, the point of it is you can't pirate it.... yet.

Just now, Adimo said:

Well, the point of it is you can't pirate it.... yet.

Most AAA games that come out these days are bugged and glitch to shit anyway for the first two weeks or so, by the time they are patched and worth playing there will be a cracked version. 

That's funny xD That's why I'm buying AAA titles when they are like $5-10 and only if it had good reviews. 

DRM doesn't stop piracy... It's like a challenge for people making cracks. They probably enjoy it -.-"

Just do what CDPR did with The Witcher 3... Don't block it at all. It's a waste of money and The Witcher 3 is doing great.

And before someone will say "$5 is not helping out developers". LOL, earn my money... Lately AAA title releases are a disaster. Half baked games, basically selling a demo and then asking to buy DLC's. What a joke.

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

20 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Well basically that is a false statement since nothing is stolen when you download something. And it was proven that 1 download != 1 lost sale. They just has to accept that and work on ethical methods to get people buy their game voluntarily. Until then they gonna waste their money on this big whack-a-mole game...

How is that not stealing? 

Again I am not saying 1 download = 1 lost sale. You are trying to prove me wrong  when I am not denying you. They think they are losing money, they try to stop it, pirates get around it, try again,.....so on and so on....

Its a business. Businesses are there to make money. Copying/downloading a digital only item is stealing. Stealing results in lest profit. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How is that not stealing? 

Again I am not saying 1 download = 1 lost sale. You are trying to prove me wrong  when I am not denying you. They think they are losing money, they try to stop it, pirates get around it, try again,.....so on and so on....

Its a business. Businesses are there to make money. Copying/downloading a digital only item is stealing. Stealing results in lest profit. 

Was there a single time when pirated were not able to crack a game? Money well spend ayy? Maybe instead of dumb DRM invest more money into the game, so it will be worth buying? That's a dumb idea... Sorry. Who would ever do that!

Also, just because given individual downloaded a game... doesn't mean they are losing money. He/She would never buy it in the first place.

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

DRM doesn't stop piracy... It's like a challenge for people making cracks. They probably enjoy it -.-"

Probably true, repackers also do it mainly because they like doing it and it's just a hobby.

I mean even if it's just a hobby of a handful of people it's enough.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

@mynameisjuan

Stealing starts with "take something"... 9_9 Pirating something starts with download a copy(meaning the original stays at its place). Meaning there is no profit loss either(hence the 1downlod != lost sale).... Their profit loss is just an imaginary number.

Just now, Ekst4zy said:

Was there a single time when pirated were not able to crack a game? Money well spend ayy? Maybe instead of dumb DRM invest more money into the game, so it will be worth buying? That's a dumb idea... Sorry. Who would ever do that!

FFS IM AN NOT ARGUING FOR THE COMPANY

Just now, samcool55 said:

Probably true, repackers also do it mainly because they like doing it and it's just a hobby.

I mean even if it's just a hobby of a handful of people it's enough.

Exactly. It seems to me that they treat it as a puzzle. 

Some people also think that everything should be free. You don't need an army of pirates, just couple smart and bored people.

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

FFS IM AN NOT ARGUING FOR THE COMPANY

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No? Interesting...

Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

@mynameisjuan

Stealing starts with "take something"... 9_9 Pirating something starts with download a copy(meaning the original stays at its place). Meaning there is no profit loss either(hence the 1downlod != lost sale).... Their profit loss is just an imaginary number.

Tell that to the lawyers that put thousands of people in jail for copying and downloading movies and music. So if you spend a year making a tool on pc and you put it on the market and someone manages to copy and you get no profit you dont consider that stealing?

1 minute ago, Ekst4zy said:

No? Interesting...

Thats their logic. It doesnt work and never will but thats the way businesses think.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Tell that to the lawyers that put thousands of people in jail for copying and downloading movies and music. So if you spend a year making a tool on pc and you put it on the market and someone manages to copy and you get no profit you dont consider that stealing?

I wouldnt make it paid in the first place, open source+donations... Many small amount can add up pretty quickly ;) (plus as soon as you upload something onto the net its inevitable). Now onto the media industry i cant sympathize with them. They still forcing unnecessary restrictions even though they arent effective and only inconvenience the paying customer.

Its a basic rule of thumb about markets, either adapt to the needs or go down the toilet. The media industry is incapable to move on with the times, but because of they have huge amounts of money they can bend the laws to support and protect their outdated business model. They have to go down sooner or later, just like the dinosaurs...