Buy ASUS Prime B350 on Amazon: http://geni.us/T0J8
Buy EVGA Supernova 650 G2 on Amazon: http://geni.us/6CNeJV
Buy EVGA BRONZE 500W  on Amazon: http://geni.us/iQhN
Buy WD 250GB SSD on Amazon: http://geni.us/BT2Ly0B
Buy EVGA SuperClocked 2 GTX 1070 on Amazon: http://geni.us/ZS89Tsx
Buy Rosewill NEON K51 on Amazon: http://geni.us/V9QH
Buy Rosewill NEON M57 on Amazon: http://geni.us/e3vYt9
Buy Acer XFA240 on Amazon: http://geni.us/klMvdux

Finally, a step by step guide on how to build the best Ryzen 5 gaming PC for the least money!

Since this is perf/$ the liquid cooler is a waste, and your psu is eh.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, Nicnac said:

Same for sli lol. since when is that perf/$??

Wait wot they did SLI too?!?

I feel like LTT is failing at build guides. They try to make a good one at first and people scream Ryzen 5. 6 months later they make one with Ryzen 5 and the decisions are still crap.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

On 10/30/2017 at 1:08 PM, Nicnac said:

Same for sli lol. since when is that perf/$??

2 hours ago, JoshIsMean said:

They do configs with and without SLI in the video, and he explains why he uses SLI in the video as well. 

Sure you can throw a second card into almost any build. But that doesn't really justify anything for a Value build lol.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Corsair CXm would have been a better option for the PSU, given the title of the build and video.

Some of the prices at the end of the video are wrong too(not even a few dollars, like quite far off) unless they're the prices at the time you made it..

Cooler is 55 on amazon but 28 in the video

G2 550 watt(which wasnt even in the video?) is shown as $50 but is $80 on amazon.

And the ram shown as being $127.. its $190 on amazon. When was the last time you saw 16gb of ddr4 for $127 xD 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

31 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I feel like LTT is failing at build guides. They try to make a good one at first and people scream Ryzen 5. 6 months later they make one with Ryzen 5 and the decisions are still crap.

BUT WE GOT THE COOLEST BIXBY SPONSORED VIDEO THOUGH!

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

39 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Maybe watch the video... Linus blatantly addresses and says you shouldn't opt for the SLI configuration. 

Eh i rather have 4K monitor that point to compete with Xbox One X a 1080ti since i don't know it actually has more Vram? ah never been a fan of AMD anyways. 

I think LTT is officially allergic to build guides that actually make sense: SLI? We've known for a while that it's a very stupid idea to even try to factor in SLI. I thought this was supposed to help newbies not confuse them with a worthless option.

-------

Current Rig

-------

How many bits is your multi-bit screwdriver? Why is the multi-bit screwdriver multi-bit yet not RGB?

Can we ssssssssssssssssshoot Linussssssss for the excessssssssssssive s'ssssssssssss?

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

Sure you can throw a second card into almost any build. But that doesn't really justify anything for a Value build lol.

does using a CPU that REQUIRES a video card to even be used really qualify for a "budget build".

14 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

How many bits is your multi-bit screwdriver? Why is the multi-bit screwdriver multi-bit yet not RGB?

and WHERE IS HIS PRO TECH TOOL KIT???????????????????? IFixIt was nice enough to send him a monogrammed one and he isn't using it.

Not sure about performance per dollar but if i was on a budget or looking for the best performance based on price, I'd probably go with a 1060 6GB card for $260... It's $170 cheaper (on newegg) based on current prices, basically Linus just told people to throw 65% more into 1 1070 for tops 45% maybe 50% in performance, if this was done then one could get a cheaper monitor with lower hz which is only useful for gaming really.

It is clear they are pushing amazon for profit (which I'm fine with) however this build is likely more expensive than it needs to be, esp in the graphics area.

Also i would go for MSI Optix G24C (newegg, second cheapest) over the acer with basically the same specs and price. Oh yea, it's curved too. Cheapest I found on amazon is Acer GN246HL for under $200, it has no DP however.

@Daniel644 True, the term budget pc is bare minimum, where this video shows a Performance per Dollar where if throwing in a graphics card (assuming you play games, or have other uses for it) would give a better value to your build. I do think they should of gone with a title like "Performance per Dollar Ryzen Gaming Build Guide", because someone in the office/home system setting (having no use for a powerful gpu, or screen for that matter) would find this review almost completely useless.

@James Your last amazon link will never work as a one click solution w/o a space after the Colon :P

Question for Brandon - how much time you needed for this video? (I assume it was better than the first build guide you did with Linus)

Not sure about the parts chosen, I feel like a 1070 (sli) shouldn't drive a 1080p monitor, the AIO is questionable but at least it's cheap, sli was unnecessary and frankly that should've been known because in many wan shows Linus mentioned that it doesn't work well. If this was supposed to be ryzen 5 budget you would've been better of with a 1060 or 480 but at that point the ryzen 5 processors start to become a little expensive. Maybe things have changed when I was buying a GPU a couple of months ago but the 1080 was better value than the 1070 because miners. 

If it was just the SLI or just the AIO or just the Monitor (though an argument could be made about hardcore high fps gaming but then the ryzen platform doesn't make sense) or the graphics card I wouldn't have bothered commenting but this build is just wrong on almost every level.

This is more like a budget workstation build, where you have workloads that benefit from higher core count CPUs and/or run GPU accelerated tasks (which is where the SLI benchmarking sense, since for work purposes you can pull them out of SLI and run one task per GPU but game using SLI).  

The two things that are weird are 1070s and going Ryzen for a higher refresh rate monitor.  The 1070 at MSRP is still a rare find thanks to miners and the 1070Ti has its review embargoes lift this week.  I mean yeah I know you do these videos in advance, but you'd think at this stage in the game you'd hold off on GPU recommendations until we see what that does to the market.  Right now the EVGA 1070 SC at 439.99 is not even stock on Amazon (at least when pulling up the US site, although it does look like Gigabyte has a SKU in stock).  If you're laying the down the money for a higher refresh rate monitor, you should really be going to the blue team and chasing single core performance.  Ryzen is also about getting the best bang for the buck on cores.  End of the day if you're budget building, sinking 300 dollars into a TN panel on a rig that when the single card benches show you're not hitting it.  Bunch of VA panel products where yeah lower refresh rate, but you both save money and get a better panel.  Someone doing mostly competitive FPS is going to be drawn to the higher refresh rate, but that's a specific use case, for a general use case it doesn't seem like the greatest call.  

Plus just other random odds and ends like going with an AIO.  For someone on a budget I'd say run on the Wraith for the initial build and once you start OCing and see yourself thermal throttling, spend money on an aftermarket cooler.  People are reporting 3.7/3.8 range on problem on the included cooler. It's really easy to change that cooler out later and you could initially divert the money into another part and ask for a cooler for Christmas or whatever.  

End of the day even at the total build costs in the video, cut the aftermarket cooler and go from X370 to B350 and you're up about 100 bucks, which is roughly half the price difference between the EVGA 1070 (not in stock at that price) and an in stock EVGA 1080 FTW (and of course there are cheaper 1080 options and the 1070Ti which is forthcoming this week).  Do some more trimming on the case, a semi or non modular PSU and you can creep even closer to fitting a 1080 in at this price point.  Also while Vega 56 does push you to the higher wattage PSU and if you pay more for electricity it may not be worth it, the cost delta between a 1070 at 439 and a Vega 56 at 469 is basically the step down from X370 to B350 and then you get FreeSync on the selected TN panel at least (for whatever value that has for you).

6 hours ago, CalhounTyphoon said:

Maybe watch the video... Linus blatantly addresses and says you shouldn't opt for the SLI configuration. 

If he doesn't recommend it why did he use it...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Like this video. Best build guide you've done in awhile.

<snip>

Edited by SansVarnic

About time case manufacturers are putting cable clips into the ridge at the front of the chassis behind the mainboard tray. Not that it's difficult to add to any other chassis, provided you're willing to spend a few dollars on a set of Command cable clips. Which I'd recommend anyway for cable management to extend your options beyond what the chassis provides.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

10 hours ago, RKRiley said:

And the ram shown as being $127.. its $190 on amazon. When was the last time you saw 16gb of ddr4 for $127 xD 

i got mine for $100 :) 16GB 3200MHz ddr4

i cheated and got it off craigslist though, but it was still new and factory sealed

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.