Google Chrome vs. Firefox (and Edge?) - Privacy/Security/Resource Efficiency comparison request

Go to solution Solved by blackjesus261,
19 hours ago, Enderman said:

Literally all browsers do...

You can google it to find out how much stuff firefox tracks, or any other browser.

If you are concerned about your privacy then you should not be using the internet at all. Or cell phones.

19 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Sweet truth, to me personally it is a matter of personal preference, I prefer Firefox as I have been using for ages and all... people over-exaggerates on this whole privacy deal in my personal opinion, does it suck? sure but what's really going to change any ways in life...

It literally makes no difference when you consider that your phone, your programs, your OS, your ISP, and the websites all track your information.

You can either A) be concerned about your privacy and stop using the internet and cell phones, or B) accept that your info is tracked one way or another and it doesn't make a difference to your life.

Well yeah it's fine to just like one browser over another for it's features.

I like chrome because it actually uses all the ram I have to cache pages so that they load faster when switching tabs, and the massive amount of extensions :)

Haha I just wanted to know which one is the most private/secure. I recently noticed that Firefox was hogging a lot of RAM (~780 MB) with just the new tab open, and I use just a few extensions so I was considering switching to Chrome or Edge cause I only have 8GB so I need every bit while gaming. I switched to Firefox only a few months back and while I love it, I wanted to know what the "downsides" of switching to Chrome or Edge might be.

Thanks for the great replies!

I was wondering what the differences between Chrome and Firefox are mainly in terms of privacy and security. Might sound stupid but I read somewhere a while back (sorry, can't remember the source) that Google Chrome has a ton of trackers built in to the browser itself, aside from the one's websites use on their own. I'm asking only in terms of the "stock browsers", no third party plug-ins to block tracking, etc. Mainly focused on Firefox and Chrome (and Edge, kinda), but I'd be glad to hear about any other browsers.

I referred to a few articles before this (linked below) but they didn't go into too much detail so if anyone has any additional information it would be great.

PCWorld Article

TNHONLINE Article

Hope the question makes sense, it's my first time here.

Asus TUF FX505DT | Ryzen 5 3550H @2.1 Ghz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB GDDR5) | Samsung stock 8GB DDR4 + Crucial 8GB DDR4 | 512GB SSD + 480GB SSD | Sony WH1000XM3 | Logitech G602 | Drevo Calibur | Ice Coorel 6 Fans Cooling Pad

Out of the three Firefox is indeed the one that protects your privacy the most, Mozilla is more "chill" per say than Google and Microsoft are for selling your data to ad companies.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Out of the three Firefox is indeed the one that protects your privacy the most, Mozilla is more "chill" per say than Google and Microsoft are for selling your data to ad companies.

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yes, google chrome sends all the data about whatever you are doing back to google. that's why i don't use it. 

You can google it to find out how much stuff firefox tracks, or any other browser.

If you are concerned about your privacy then you should not be using the internet at all. Or cell phones.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

i agree, but some browsers do it more than others. 

She/Her

Just now, Enderman said:

Sweet truth, to me personally it is a matter of personal preference, I prefer Firefox as I have been using for ages and all... people over-exaggerates on this whole privacy deal in my personal opinion, does it suck? sure but what's really going to change any ways in life...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i agree, but some browsers do it more than others. 

It literally makes no difference when you consider that your phone, your programs, your OS, your ISP, and the websites all track your information.

You can either A) be concerned about your privacy and stop using the internet and cell phones, or B) accept that your info is tracked one way or another and it doesn't make a difference to your life.

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I like chrome because it actually uses all the ram I have to cache pages so that they load faster when switching tabs, and the massive amount of extensions :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

19 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Haha I just wanted to know which one is the most private/secure. I recently noticed that Firefox was hogging a lot of RAM (~780 MB) with just the new tab open, and I use just a few extensions so I was considering switching to Chrome or Edge cause I only have 8GB so I need every bit while gaming. I switched to Firefox only a few months back and while I love it, I wanted to know what the "downsides" of switching to Chrome or Edge might be.

Thanks for the great replies!

Asus TUF FX505DT | Ryzen 5 3550H @2.1 Ghz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (4GB GDDR5) | Samsung stock 8GB DDR4 + Crucial 8GB DDR4 | 512GB SSD + 480GB SSD | Sony WH1000XM3 | Logitech G602 | Drevo Calibur | Ice Coorel 6 Fans Cooling Pad

• 2 years later...