Ryzen beating intel with Very low latency ram?

2 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I'll try it out once I get an extra kit for quad channel.

Edit: Decided to try it right now, everything seems to work well on 3466.

Doesn't work so well on quad channel. Look on the 4th page of that thread I linked, for C6H anyway. What MBO do you have? If you do decide to get it, let me know how you get on.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

35 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Doesn't work so well on quad channel. Look on the 4th page of that thread I linked, for C6H anyway. What MBO do you have? If you do decide to get it, let me know how you get on.

Motherboard.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X399-A/

It will probably be a few months, I have other expenses first.

Edit: I have BIOS version 0403 (latest one as of the time of this writing)

21 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Motherboard.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X399-A/

It will probably be a few months, I have other expenses first.

Edit: I have BIOS version 0403 (latest one as of the time of this writing)

I'd be careful with just running the latest. For my C6H, the latest 3 BIOSes (the ones after but not including v1403) with no major changes actually made my system less stable. I'm actually running a test bios (v9920) from may at the moment, and its more stable than the latest v1701 from the asus website. Not sure what agesa 1.0.0.7 will hold, as apparently it is being optimized for the raven ridge processors with APUs so porting it back to summit ridge is quite an undertaking. I'm fairly happy with my board at the moment, but I seem to have had a much better run of it than most people.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

To be honest, 

Every System that is more or less in a CPU bottlenecked Situation in any way does benefit from higher speed and lower latency RAM.

The special thing about Ryzen is that you are limited by a cache bottleneck when not using RAM with decent speed due to its infinity fabric.

Every gain after surpassing the major problematic infinity fabric brings to the cache just works out the same way with every other CPU ever introduced to the market and suffers heavily from diminishing returns. Its nothing new that RAM speed can heavily boost performance in a CPU bottlenecked enviroment, which is due to Ryzens low clockspeeds and therefore lower performance compared to Intel easier to reach.

If you compare Ryzen with Intel in that manner, the easy way to describe it is that Intel does suffer less from using lower speed ram due to independend cache clocks. But you very well can also reach the same effect with Intel chips by overcocking the CPU where as the cache and the RAM arent able to feed the CPU decently anymore. Greater gains in that department only means the CPU is closer to some kind of bandwidth limitation.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

15 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Basically yeah. Most of the complaints I have seen come from people who have cheap memory. I have a 16gb 3200MHz CL14 kit from G skill. My brother's ryzen system with  3000MHz corsair vengeance memory won't boot at anything more than 2667MHz. Yet it can run my flare X at 3200MHz.

My C6H can run his memory at 3000Mhz though.... IDK.

CL14 @ 3200 is definitely B-die and runs at T1 natively, versus the Hynix Vengeance kits which run at slower speeds under T1. If you force T2 command rate, you'll see less performance, but that can be offset by the higher speed as a result. 

GSkill rebranded the TridentZ CL14 3200 kits as FlareX a couple days after Ryzen released and people realised that B die works well.

But for the budget gamer, Hynix kits get the job done, I guess. 

idk

1 hour ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I'd be careful with just running the latest. For my C6H, the latest 3 BIOSes (the ones after but not including v1403) with no major changes actually made my system less stable. I'm actually running a test bios (v9920) from may at the moment, and its more stable than the latest v1701 from the asus website. Not sure what agesa 1.0.0.7 will hold, as apparently it is being optimized for the raven ridge processors with APUs so porting it back to summit ridge is quite an undertaking. I'm fairly happy with my board at the moment, but I seem to have had a much better run of it than most people.

Only issues that II have was USB driver problems, found a quick fix.

I had some stability issues with the board out of the box, the latest BIOS update seemed to fix it.  No blue screens whatsoever after the update.

I don't update BIOS's frequently.  I have the mentality "if it an't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to BIOS's.