4000€+ gaming and streaming pc system theorycrafting(long post and thread)

Halazar
20 hours ago, Halazar said:

1) Why OEM windows?
2) Do you think the  be quiet! - Dark Base Pro 900 is the best case?
3) The best motherboards for their money are the ones I used in my builds both for the 7900x and the 1950x; no useless things like wi-fi, and best or second best VRM. The only downside is in the 1950x motherboard it only has 4 ram slot, and the next best for its price is the Taichi one, but it doesn't have quite as good VRM, and the best mobo of that socket is too costly, like 600$.

4) Why the 850 evo instead of 960? You prefer size over speeds?
5)I don't like that ram, I usually go for Z series, and also Threadripper needs specific RAMs to operate better.
6) I wouldnt go for TITANIUM rating on the psu; gold is more than enough usually and you save alot of money
7) the NZXT cooler is said to have a pump that fails often. The EVGA is the best one for 7900x, and the 1950x has only one liquid cooler specifically made for it, the Enermax TR4; I chose the 360mm one for my build.

Those are just my observations tho :P

And I'm in your same boat, I don't know which one to take.

To make things worse; the 7900x is more performant in games+streaming only its true, but 1) if you don't delid it its a waste, you lose like 20°c just because Intel sucks and puts toothpaste intead of proper thermal conducting paste, 2) the 7900x has less PCIe lanes for future upgrades, 3) the 1950x will get better in time has games adapt and start taking advantage of more cores avaiable, 4) multi-tasking is not as easy on the 7900x as it is on the 1950x, etc.

I'm soo torn

Also I wanna hear what @brob has to say on the dual-system build. Maybe we can get Linux to do a video on stuff like this, it would be cool to watch

1. This is why I have come on these forums! I wasn't aware that OEM Windows doesn't allow using the license on a different computer (upgraded computer!) if need be in the future. Thanks!
  2. I'm not really too sure if it's the best case--just seemed to be one of the good "quiet" ones at the top of PC Part Picker. :/
  3. I actually do need WiFi... Haha. Four RAM slots is fine (for me), I'm going to get 2x16GB as well initially.
  4. Thank you!! I didn't catch this one either--I would much rather have a faster SSD! Updating my build immediately. I'm also starting to wonder if 1TB is overkill, and maybe I can afford to save some money and go down to 500GB.
  5. I'll look into those different RAM options.
  6. I have been told this as well about the PSU--going to go down to Gold to save some $$$.
  7. Thanks for that. I read that as well. Maybe not worth the risk. 

I feel for you about choosing between the 7900X and 1950X. I actually think I might just opt for the 8700K and build a gaming machine instead and not worry so much about the streaming for now (I have never even done it yet anyway).

Cheers.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Presumably you have an internet connection that will support 1080p60.

Given what you are trying to achieve, a dual system is the best candidate. But I suspect you will want something more than an R5-1600 as the cpu of the streaming system.

You had asked earlier about audio with this type of setup. Have you seen https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1988680-broadcasting-with-two-computers?

Ok, you know what? Fine.
Lets see about the dual system setup, but I still don't understand most of it, and every video about professional-grade dual-pc setups uses mixers and splitters and stuff so if thats better, I dont wanna settle for the setup linked you by(which I've seen already previously).

As far as I understand it, the gaming pc is connected from the video-card, the future 1080ti, via an HDMI cable, to the capture card, the Elgato, on the streaming pc. This should provide the video feed to the streaming pc, and thus far, I get it.

Now tho, I want to know how I can get to listen to both my streaming and gaming pc from one pair of headphones, and also speak to both in the gaming and streaming pc with one microphone?

And as far as I understand it, I need a mixer. But, the microphone I have right now is also a Blue Yeti(I know, not the best buy, I didnt want to do this 2-stream setup thing do so an usb microphone was just fine), so it had an USB interface, and I do not know if that has to be plugged in the mixer, or the PC, or something else.

I'm trying to watch as many videos and articles as I can, but they're not really in-depth; it's like the people that use these set-ups have only a surface-level knowledge of their own setups, or they don't have the skill to explain it properly. They also never listen all the hardware necessary, such as when one needs a splitter, how many cables and for which use, etc.

like, look for example how complicated these setups are, and how much added cost in audio hardware;

Spoiler

tEZMlWy.png

3 minutes ago, brob said:

@Halazar

Have you seen https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/q-a-about-dual-pc-stream-audio-setup.156/. It's a bit dated, but may help.

People always think that audio is easy. (I'm not suggesting that you do, just making a general comment.) But it isn't.

I know it isn't easy, and thats why I wanted to go with the single pc setup in the first place, and then maybe upgrade later with a second pc. 

I've never seen this guide before; I've read it breifly and it helped a little, but also confused me.

So, if I understand it corretly; since I'm using a Blue Yeti, I will need a 3.5mm male to male cable so that I can connect the Yeti via USB to the streaming machine, and the 3.5mm to the gaming machine.

But then the Microphone wouldn't pass throu the mixer? Why? Isn't the mixer supposed to be there to give me better audio quality too?

And the image that explained how to connect things in the guide is gone.

Also, after your suggestion, I upgraded the both the streaming and gaming machines a little;

gaming

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (€422.55 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€135.06 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€217.00) 
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€441.91 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€231.00) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€156.80 @ Amazon Italia) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  (€899.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Case: Corsair - 750D ATX Full Tower Case  (€145.62 @ Amazon Italia) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€126.50 @ Amazon Italia) 
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer  (€16.18 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €2792.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 01:48 CET+0100

streaming

Spoiler

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  (€330.26 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  (€35.70 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€122.90 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€216.13 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€90.78 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€75.85 @ Amazon Italia) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 1030 2GB 2GH LP OC Video Card  (€69.13 @ Amazon Italia) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  (€75.98 @ Amazon Italia) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€92.00) 
Other: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro, stream and record in 1080p60, superior low latency technology, H.264 hardware encoding, PCIe  (€194.92 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €1303.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 01:46 CET+0100

Let's address the elephant in the room now.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor? Does it have G-sync/Freesync?

Are you planning on buying a new monitor within the next year or so? If so, what resolution and refresh rate would you want it to have? Will it have G-sync or Freesync?

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

By the way, the 960 PRO SSD is only $5 more than the 960 EVO SSD, and is a bit better in a lot of areas. :)

EDIT : Also, the 5TB Toshiba HDD is actually cheaper (at least where I am) than the 4TB at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Let's address the elephant in the room now.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor? Does it have G-sync/Freesync?

Are you planning on buying a new monitor within the next year or so? If so, what resolution and refresh rate would you want it to have? Will it have G-sync or Freesync?

My monitors right now are pretty crappy, ve247, but I plan to buy soon a monitor at least with 144hz g-sync, or maybe freesync2 when it comes out if its better or with the same performance but for the same cost or cheaper; the resolution 1920x1080 is fine, but I would like to have the horsepower to be able to have a 144hz gsync monitor with a 1440p resolution at least

By the way, the 960 PRO SSD is only $5 more than the 960 EVO SSD, and is a bit better in a lot of areas. :)

EDIT : Also, the 5TB Toshiba HDD is actually cheaper (at least where I am) than the 4TB at the moment.

I'm afraid the prices are not the same for me @PopsiclesInMyCellar :) 

@Halazar

I believe the faster Samsung 960 NVMe drive belongs in the streaming / recording machine. It won't make that much difference in the gaming machine. So an 850 Evo or Pro would be fine there.

Since obs is being used and the cpu will be doing the encoding, you might look at other capture cards; http://www.avermedia.com/gaming/product/game_capture/live_gamer_hd_2 is just one of many.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

@Halazar

I believe the faster Samsung 960 NVMe drive belongs in the streaming / recording machine. It won't make that much difference in the gaming machine. So an 850 Evo or Pro would be fine there.

Since obs is being used and the cpu will be doing the encoding, you might look at other capture cards; http://www.avermedia.com/gaming/product/game_capture/live_gamer_hd_2 is just one of many.

Again; the HD60pro doesn't encode it throu OBS, but it does encode if I connected a gaming console in the future, and I don't think the avermedia one provides better image capture quality(does it)?

Also, this is how much I understand the Audio part of the problem.

Now, this is all theoretical; I still don't know how many cables I actually need, if I need something to convert these cables, how many ground loop isolators(or hum killer? whats the difference?) do I need, if I need any more hardware pieces, and which Mixer to actually take(I have two in mind right now; 

is there somewhere in this forum where I can post to get help with this? Because the twitch subreddit is awfully quiet and I don't know where else I could ask for help

Audio setup doubts.png

3 hours ago, Halazar said:

My monitors right now are pretty crappy, ve247, but I plan to buy soon a monitor at least with 144hz g-sync, or maybe freesync2 when it comes out if its better or with the same performance but for the same cost or cheaper; the resolution 1920x1080 is fine, but I would like to have the horsepower to be able to have a 144hz gsync monitor with a 1440p resolution at least

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a monitor, please don't go for 1920x1080. Get at least 1440p.

Also with 144hz, Threadripper is out of contention. However personally I feel you'd be better off with the 7820X compared to the 8700K. Sure, the 8700K offers more raw gaming horsepower, but the 7820X offers better... well everything else. And the 7820X offers more longevity as Z370 may not support future Intel CPUs.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 hour ago, Phentos said:

If you're going to spend a lot of money on a monitor, please don't go for 1920x1080. Get at least 1440p.

Also with 144hz, Threadripper is out of contention. However personally I feel you'd be better off with the 7820X compared to the 8700K. Sure, the 8700K offers more raw gaming horsepower, but the 7820X offers better... well everything else. And the 7820X offers more longevity as Z370 may not support future Intel CPUs.

The chances of doing a cpu upgrade into the same motherboard are about as high as that of lightning hitting twice.

What do you mean by better everything else?

Also, using "Anniemunitions" stream setup, I kind of managed to contextualize the cost of my hypothetical dual pc system setup a little more, using her hardware pieces for example;

Mackie 802-VLZ4 - Mixer : 249,50€

Boss Audio Systems B25N - Ground Loop Isolator "1": 18,90€

3x Pac SNI-1/3.5mm: 17,90€ x 3= 53.70€

Problem 1;
I need a mixer that has an USB port for the Blue Yeti microphone, or I will have to plug the Blue yeti into my gaming pc I guess, and then when the gaming pc connects to the mixer, it will be sent to the streaming pc aswell; but whoever is talking with me on discord on the gaming pc will not hear the modified audio via mixer. This of course will be fixed if in the future I will use an XLR microphone.

Problem 2; What other kinds of things I need? Like cables, converters, other amplifiers or something else, etc.?

Problem 3; do I really need a sound card? Or maybe just get a 1700x motherboard with a good integrated one?

dddd.png

@Halazar

I was just typing a comment about the audio. The simplified diagram just posted, presuming the crossed out portions are dropped, looks much more straightforward. .

1 hour ago, brob said:

@Halazar

I was just typing a comment about the audio. The simplified diagram just posted, presuming the crossed out portions are dropped, looks much more straightforward. .

IT should even be a little modified; as Annemunition says on her website, "Second, if you're wanting to use voice comms on the gaming PC, you simply need to move the AUX Send cable from the streaming PC to the gaming PC mic in. On the mixer, only the AUX knob for the mic is turned up, meaning that is all the audio it's sending through that connection."

I still need to answer the questions I've said before, and then, need to find better replacements for the pieces she uses, because I'm sure I can find better ones for prices better suited for me here in Italy(things always cost strangely more or less here; usually more tho).

Also I modified the builds of the systems a little after the SSD advice, even if I don't see why since I wont be using the SSD to copy and/or write video files; that would kill the SSD way too quickly and I wont buy a m.2 1tb samsung drive, thats too costly.

Streaming pc 

Spoiler

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler  (€35.70 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€122.90 @ Amazon Italia) 
Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€216.13 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€133.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€75.85 @ Amazon Italia) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 1030 2GB 2GH LP OC Video Card  (€69.13 @ Amazon Italia) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€92.00) 
Other: Elgato Game Capture HD60 Pro, stream and record in 1080p60, superior low latency technology, H.264 hardware encoding, PCIe  (€194.92 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €1346.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 08:36 CET+0100

Gaming

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (€476.21 @ Amazon Italia) 
CPU Cooler: EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€135.06 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€217.00) 
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€441.91 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€156.80 @ Amazon Italia) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  (€899.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Case: Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case  (€159.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€126.50 @ Amazon Italia) 
Other: Samsung MZ-75E1T0B SSD 850 EVO, 1 TB, 2.5" SATA III, Nero/Grigio  (€303.35 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €2932.99

2 hours ago, Halazar said:

IT should even be a little modified; as Annemunition says on her website, "Second, if you're wanting to use voice comms on the gaming PC, you simply need to move the AUX Send cable from the streaming PC to the gaming PC mic in. On the mixer, only the AUX knob for the mic is turned up, meaning that is all the audio it's sending through that connection."

I still need to answer the questions I've said before, and then, need to find better replacements for the pieces she uses, because I'm sure I can find better ones for prices better suited for me here in Italy(things always cost strangely more or less here; usually more tho).

Also I modified the builds of the systems a little after the SSD advice, even if I don't see why since I wont be using the SSD to copy and/or write video files; that would kill the SSD way too quickly and I wont buy a m.2 1tb samsung drive, thats too costly.

Streaming pc 

Hide contents

Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€133.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €1346.86

Gaming

Hide contents

Case: Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case  (€159.99 @ Amazon Italia) 
Other: Samsung MZ-75E1T0B SSD 850 EVO, 1 TB, 2.5" SATA III, Nero/Grigio  (€303.35 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €2932.99

You might be surprised at ssd durability. There was a study done a couple of years ago. It ran some 18 months writing to six different brand 240GB ssd. The most durable took over 2PB of writes. The first to fail had over 800TB written to it. The next lasted past 1.2PB! Naturally tech has improved and we work with larger drives, so their life expectancy should be even longer.

Thinking on the memory, it seems to me that the gaming system only needs 16GB. 

The reason I suggested the ssd switch is, in part to minimize overhead when recording.

12 minutes ago, brob said:

You might be surprised at ssd durability. There was a study done a couple of years ago. It ran some 18 months writing to six different brand 240GB ssd. The most durable took over 2PB of writes. The first to fail had over 800TB written to it. The next lasted past 1.2PB! Naturally tech has improved and we work with larger drives, so their life expectancy should be even longer.

Thinking on the memory, it seems to me that the gaming system only needs 16GB. 

The reason I suggested the ssd switch is, in part to minimize overhead when recording.

Nah I want 32gbs on the gaming PC.
And I guess I could go with a 512gb m.2 one on the streaming pc.

Also, after the suggestion of the 7820x, I tought it might actually be a good swap; 2 more cores and better multi-threading performance, for a very tiny bit of single core performance.
The price does go up a little but not too tremendously; heres a sketch

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  (€563.32 @ Amazon Italia) 
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste  (€9.80 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X299 Taichi ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  (€295.10 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€310.00) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€186.36 @ Amazon Italia) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  (€150.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €3324.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 10:25 CET+0100

and by comparison the 8700k

Spoiler

Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€186.36 @ Amazon Italia) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  (€150.00 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €3142.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 10:25 CET+0100

I forgot to include windows in the ones before

Do you think the streaming PC needs windows or I can put Linux in it? Only if there aren't ANY issues. I'll spend 150€ euros rather than heave headaches.

2 minutes ago, Halazar said:

Nah I want 32gbs on the gaming PC.
And I guess I could go with a 512gb m.2 one on the streaming pc.

Also, after the suggestion of the 7820x, I tought it might actually be a good swap; 2 more cores and better multi-threading performance, for a very tiny bit of single core performance.
The price does go up a little but not too tremendously; heres a sketch

Hide contents

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  (€563.32 @ Amazon Italia) 
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste  (€9.80 @ Amazon Italia) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X299 Taichi ATX LGA2066 Motherboard  (€295.10 @ Amazon Italia) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€310.00) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (€97.90 @ Amazon Italia) 
Total: €3272.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 10:21 CET+0100

and by comparison the 8700k

Reveal hidden contents

Total: €2992.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-27 10:21 CET+0100

I don't see the point of giving up any gaming performance. The machine is not going to be doing anything else while gaming. 

17 minutes ago, brob said:

I don't see the point of giving up any gaming performance. The machine is not going to be doing anything else while gaming. 

I don't want a game to cap all of my cores and having no space for other applications, thats all. Do you think the gaming performance is much lower on the 7820x?

21 minutes ago, Halazar said:

I don't want a game to cap all of my cores and having no space for other applications, thats all. Do you think the gaming performance is much lower on the 7820x?

Depends on the title. In most the difference is reasonably small.

It is very unlikely that any game will push all cores of an i7-8700K to anywhere near 100%. The few that do will most likely do the same to an i7-7820X.

2 hours ago, brob said:

Depends on the title. In most the difference is reasonably small.

It is very unlikely that any game will push all cores of an i7-8700K to anywhere near 100%. The few that do will most likely do the same to an i7-7820X.

Honestly, I'm seriously thinking about my original hypotesis of just going single 1950x pc and then in the future just buy a new gaming pc and use the 1950x as the streaming pc, and postpones there audios problems for when I will have more money and more time(especially so if in the future streaming doesn't take off, doesn't do it for me anymore, or for any reason I can't do it anymore, at least I have 1 beast pc and not 2 mediocre pcs laying around, even if this pc would be worse than a 8700k for gaming)

yes I know its incredibly money inefficient but man think about using a 1950x as a streaming cpu? No problems whatsoever in doing the most hardware taxing settings, ahah.

Maybe I just need to go to sleep

18 hours ago, brob said:

The chances of doing a cpu upgrade into the same motherboard are about as high as that of lightning hitting twice.

It happens more than you think. An example: a year ago an acquaintance of mine upgraded his 5820K that had crappy overclocking potential to a much better binned 6850K. He did not swap the motherboard. Just did a BIOS upgrade and that's it.

18 hours ago, Halazar said:

What do you mean by better everything else?

The 7820X has 2 cores and 4 threads more than the 8700K. The 7820X can also be easily overclocked, with ~4.4-4.5 Ghz being very doable on air iirc. The difference in gaming performance is pretty small when compared to the 8700K, but the extra threads cannot be ignored. That alone makes the 7820X superior in things such as streaming or other content creation. With the extra threads, you can use a slower preset for x264 (slower = better quality) whereas a slower preset would likely choke even the mighty 8700K. Using software allows you to use a smaller bitrate as compared to NVENC to get the same level of quality, which leads to less saturation of your internet connection pipeline.

Not to mention that X299 will remain a supported chipset for at least the next two generations of Intel's HEDT line. Z370 is dead end. 

It happens more than you think. An example: a year ago an acquaintance of mine upgraded his 5820K that had crappy overclocking potential to a much better binned 6850K. He did not swap the motherboard. Just did a BIOS upgrade and that's it.

The 7820X has 2 cores and 4 threads more than the 8700K. The 7820X can also be easily overclocked, with ~4.4-4.5 Ghz being very doable on air iirc. The difference in gaming performance is pretty small when compared to the 8700K, but the extra threads cannot be ignored. That alone makes the 7820X superior in things such as streaming or other content creation. With the extra threads, you can use a slower preset for x264 (slower = better quality) whereas a slower preset would likely choke even the mighty 8700K. Using software allows you to use a smaller bitrate as compared to NVENC to get the same level of quality, which leads to less saturation of your internet connection pipeline.

Not to mention that X299 will remain a supported chipset for at least the next two generations of Intel's HEDT line. Z370 is dead end. 

The gaming machine is not doing any encoding in a dual system. Of what use then are two more cores? And could we extend the extra core argument to an i7-7900X? Just where does one stop?

You pushed a button with the overclocking argument. What difference does it make if the chip can be overclocked? The i7-8700K can also be overclocked. (A number of reviewers reported 4.8 GHz on air. Many reviewers reached 5 GHz with no issues.) But the really salient point is that overclock potential is entirely up to chance. Get a good chip :), a not so good chip >:(.

I still don't see why chipset longevity really matters. In 2 - 3 years time there will almost inevitably be new tech that we will want on our motherboards. Just look at the last three years: DDR4, USB 3.1, decent M.2 support.

41 minutes ago, brob said:

The gaming machine is not doing any encoding in a dual system. Of what use then are two more cores? And could we extend the extra core argument to an i7-7900X? Just where does one stop?

You pushed a button with the overclocking argument. What difference does it make if the chip can be overclocked? The i7-8700K can also be overclocked. (A number of reviewers reported 4.8 GHz on air. Many reviewers reached 5 GHz with no issues.) But the really salient point is that overclock potential is entirely up to chance. Get a good chip :), a not so good chip >:(.

I still don't see why chipset longevity really matters. In 2 - 3 years time there will almost inevitably be new tech that we will want on our motherboards. Just look at the last three years: DDR4, USB 3.1, decent M.2 support.

I mean to be fair I want this setup to last me at least 4-5 years theoretically(unless I buy something else because I want to, but for example the setup I have now is 6 years old lol)