Question about the space snow

Delicieuxz

This is regarding the snow-like stuff that flies past the ship in space. An example of what I mean is at 41:38 in this video:

I get the effect, making space seem a bit less empty. I think it was in FreeSpace 2, or X-2, or some other space game I've played. But, it's way too much, and way too solid in that Star Citizen footage. It just doesn't make sense as being something understandable. It looks like micro stars flying within meters of the ship.

Can that stuff be turned off in the Star Citizen options (I Kickstartered the game, but haven't really loaded it up)? Also, is there a transparency setting for it? I think there should be one, and also maybe a colour setting. Making it a colour other than white, and then reducing the number of space-flakes, and also greatly reducing the transparency would look a whole lot better, IMO.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

We don't really have those kind of graphical settings yet. But you can be assured that being a PC game, Star Citizen will eventually have a graphics menu with aaaaall of the options. Aside from like Nvidia stuff. 

In one form or another, it was in pretty much every space sim I've ever played. It serves to create a feeling of movement and a way to gauge velocity without staring at your hud displays all the time. The very first alpha builds of AC didn't have it and it felt really disorienting. 

You may feel like you want "realism" but you really don't. A truly realistic space game would be very boring and nobody would play it. Not even astronauts. And the space dust will be the least of its problems. :) 

On 29/10/2017 at 1:03 AM, Delicieuxz said:

This is regarding the snow-like stuff that flies past the ship in space. An example of what I mean is at 41:38 in this video:

I get the effect, making space seem a bit less empty. I think it was in FreeSpace 2, or X-2, or some other space game I've played. But, it's way too much, and way too solid in that Star Citizen footage. It just doesn't make sense as being something understandable. It looks like micro stars flying within meters of the ship.

Can that stuff be turned off in the Star Citizen options (I Kickstartered the game, but haven't really loaded it up)? Also, is there a transparency setting for it? I think there should be one, and also maybe a colour setting. Making it a colour other than white, and then reducing the number of space-flakes, and also greatly reducing the transparency would look a whole lot better, IMO.

the cosmic dust is minimal now compared to before and does actually exist IRL anyway (yes probably not to the same degree), CIG play around with the amount per location per patch anyway, I jumped on 2.6 and as I said it varies per location, broken moon has lots of cloud plus dust which TBH while playing I never noticed until you brought it up, the other map has like lava ash and the PU has very minimal amount that is white against the black of space and black when flying towards crusader (as below) but as Corwin said, you need it for flying.

Fgvz2rJ.png