Help please, may be rookie mistake, pls no roast

Hello everyone,

I've been having an issue lately. My PC has no wifi adapter - I never needed one - and I don't have one to test with. I can't connect with my ethernet, but it's not a cable issue as the same cable works with other devices. I have tried disaabling and reenabling ethernet in control panel, and unplugging the power cord then leaving for 30 minutes, it still doesn't work.

The main thing I need to know is what the issue is - does anyone know how to pinpoint whether it is a dead port or a driver issue?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

Hello everyone,

I've been having an issue lately. My PC has no wifi adapter - I never needed one - and I don't have one to test with. I can't connect with my ethernet, but it's not a cable issue as the same cable works with other devices. I have tried disaabling and reenabling ethernet in control panel, and unplugging the power cord then leaving for 30 minutes, it still doesn't work.

The main thing I need to know is what the issue is - does anyone know how to pinpoint whether it is a dead port or a driver issue?

Thanks.

We will know when you delete your current drivers in safe mode and do a clean install of it.

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

Do you have another wired device with which you can confirm the cable to be in working order?

Also, you are on the internet right now.. Why can't you download the drivers with that device?

Also, please quote people when replying to them so they are notified of your reply.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Do you have another wired device with which you can confirm the cable to be in working order?

Also, you are on the internet right now.. Why can't you download the drivers with that device?

Also, please quote people when replying to them so they are notified of your reply.

The cable works, my raspberry pi connects fine.

This device is a chromebook, so downloading files is dumb.

And sorry. I didnt know people werent notified when you didnt quote them.

Thanks for the help!

Just now, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

The cable works, my raspberry pi connects fine.

This device is a chromebook, so downloading files is dumb.

And sorry. I didnt know people werent notified when you didnt quote them.

Thanks for the help!

Just go dig through your pile of old PC stuff and get a simple PCI(E) network card out of it! Wait, you don't have a pile of PC hardware junk?! :P 

/s

I'm not very familiar with Chromebooks, but you should certainly be able to download the network drivers on the Pi, put them on a flash drive and transfer it over to your PC.

Could you further explain the issue? Is the port on the back of your PC lighting up? Or the port on the router/switch when your PC is connected? (Assuming Windows): does it show one of those yellow triangle warning signs or just a red X?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Just go dig through your pile of old PC stuff and get a simple PCI(E) network card out of it! Wait, you don't have a pile of PC hardware junk?! :P 

/s

I'm not very familiar with Chromebooks, but you should certainly be able to download the network drivers on the Pi, put them on a flash drive and transfer it over to your PC.

Could you further explain the issue? Is the port on the back of your PC lighting up? Or the port on the router/switch when your PC is connected? (Assuming Windows): does it show one of those yellow triangle warning signs or just a red X?

Yeah... the pi did work, but i killed it by trying to put a new os on it. However, the pc already didnt connect back then, and ive tried different cables, so no cable issue. My ethernet boxes in the wall both light up, the router doesnt have an ethernet light. The back of my pc does light up, but i just see a red cross in windows.

Yeah... the pi did work, but i killed it by trying to put a new os on it. However, the pc already didnt connect back then, and ive tried different cables, so no cable issue. My ethernet boxes in the wall both light up, the router doesnt have an ethernet light. The back of my pc does light up, but i just see a red cross in windows.

by what i said about the router i meant there is no ethernet light on it, not that it isnt lighting up. Just wanted to clarify as I explained badly there.

May sound stupid, but have you tried the Windows troubleshooting option yet? Sometimes that magically works.

Otherwise it kinda sounds like a dead port, if the 'warning message' on the port doesn't change.

i have, the troubleshooter cant identify the problem.

If the port lights up, can it still be dead?

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

May sound stupid, but have you tried the Windows troubleshooting option yet? Sometimes that magically works.

Otherwise it kinda sounds like a dead port, if the 'warning message' on the port doesn't change.

sorry 4got to quote.

Yea, the light is just an indication that a cable is connected, but if the port is dead 'deeper inside' like on the connection to the motherboard: it could be dead there still and not be noticed.

Issues like this are hard to verify without using some other hardware or being able to reinstall drivers. Have you had Windows check for new drivers on the network card yet? (it may have some built in drivers ready).

ill check now

Just now, Minibois said:

Yea, the light is just an indication that a cable is connected, but if the port is dead 'deeper inside' like on the connection to the motherboard: it could be dead there still and not be noticed.

Issues like this are hard to verify without using some other hardware or being able to reinstall drivers. Have you had Windows check for new drivers on the network card yet? (it may have some built in drivers ready).

7 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I found drivers built in but it says it couldnt install them and told me "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code31)"

4 minutes ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

I found drivers built in but it says it couldnt install them and told me "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code31)"

Yea, you're basically gonna have to fine some way to download the drivers for you device. That's the only thing I can recommend at this point.

k thanks ill get out my laptop then.

Ill brb if it doesnt work.

oh wait where do i download them?

Just a note here

I had experienced that trouble of having the orange light come up but not the green. some times i found the problem being a bad DNS setting or a stuck NIC. 
The first issue was fix by choosing the defaults. The second did take a lot of restarts to fix after two clean installs of windows 10, and after ordering a new PCI NIC just decided to go "hey I'm back"...So have petience  

A question tho does your computer recognizes your home network? 

American by birth, Greek by ancestry and pride, Geek by enthusiasm, Electronics Engineer by choice , Musician by passion, Blackbeard by appearance.

Pc: Name Vanericus Creation date 11/20/2009 

Laptop: Name Blackbeard date 27/7/2016 Msi GT72S 6QD Diminator G                                            

Just now, Vaner said:

Just a note here

I had experienced that trouble of having the orange light come up but not the green. some times i found the problem being a bad DNS setting or a stuck NIC. 
The first issue was fix by choosing the defaults. The second did take a lot of restarts to fix after two clean installs of windows 10, and after ordering a new PCI NIC just decided to go "hey I'm back"...So have petience  

A question tho does your computer recognizes your home network? 

well my ethernet port glows while the pc is turning on and not while it is on, just found that.

I dont know if it recognizes it as home network, it desnt have a wifi adapter and i didnt know it could recognise ethernet cables as home networks.

13 minutes ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

well my ethernet port glows while the pc is turning on and not while it is on, just found that.

I dont know if it recognizes it as home network, it desnt have a wifi adapter and i didnt know it could recognise ethernet cables as home networks.

!!!Warning it might get confusing !!!

your router and windows can create a virtual network so you can share files to other devices if you set it up. In older versions of windows like 7 you could clearly see that your computer had to do two steps to connect to the internet. 1) to connect to your router ( or home network) 2) from your router to the outside. That's why i was curious. back in those days it meant that it was your routers fault and not a bad Ethernet jack

American by birth, Greek by ancestry and pride, Geek by enthusiasm, Electronics Engineer by choice , Musician by passion, Blackbeard by appearance.

im on win 7

Just now, Vaner said:

!!!Warning it might get confusing !!!

your router and windows can create a virtual network so you can share files to other devices if you set it up. In older versions of windows like 7 you could clearly see that your computer had to do two steps to connect to the internet. 1) to connect to your router ( or home network) 2) from your router to the outside. That's why i was curious. back in those days it meant that it was your routers fault and not a bad Ethernet jack

im on win 7

Oh! cool then you can see the two steps.

the icons should be like your pc to a house conected by a line and that house to and internet globe. Are both marked with a red "X" ?

PS. been a long time since my last use of win7 might be a bit fussy on my memory of what you should see.

where do i find this

2 minutes ago, Vaner said:

Oh! cool then you can see the two steps.

the icons should be like your pc to a house conected by a line and that house to and internet globe. Are both marked with a red "X" ?

PS. been a long time since my last use of win7 might be a bit fussy on my memory of what you should see.

8 minutes ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

where do i find this

Open your Netwok and Sharin center 

Just now, Vaner said:

Open your Netwok and Sharin center 

no mine just shows a pc with a line to a globe and an x on that line

1 minute ago, G4merG3ddon_Dafs said:

no mine just shows a pc with a line to a globe and an x on that line

Ok then you have to try what @Minibois told you to do!!