Power Supply recommendation.

notenoughtv

Hi I'm looking for a new power supply but I don't really know what to choose. I'm looking for a PSU with a fan that only spins under load.

My specs are:

i7 3770k @4.2 GHz w/ Kraken X40

GA Z77X UD5H

MSI 660ti Power Edition

16 GB RAM

A few HDDs and 2 SSDs

I would also like to add another 660ti in the future

Thanks

There are a few that i would recommend, but straight off the bat this Seasonic x650 is a very good buy. The fan only spins when load reaches a certain threshold as per your requirements, and will be enough for your rig, aswell as allowing the possibility of SLI 660ti in the future.

There are a few that i would recommend, but straight off the bat this Seasonic x650 is a very good buy. The fan only spins when load reaches a certain threshold as per your requirements, and will be enough for your rig, aswell as allowing the possibility of SLI 660ti in the future.
seconded.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Dave makes a really good point! Seasonic makes very good power supplies and with that parts list I see no problem with a 650w model. However, if you wish to future proof to some degree, a 750w or greater may be in order depending on what you plan to do with your system in the future. Just a bit of advice from someone who is about to over do it on a 650w PSU myself XD

Dave makes a really good point! Seasonic makes very good power supplies and with that parts list I see no problem with a 650w model. However, if you wish to future proof to some degree, a 750w or greater may be in order depending on what you plan to do with your system in the future. Just a bit of advice from someone who is about to over do it on a 650w PSU myself XD
unless he plans on having 3 way sli he should be fine.

a 650 watt could handle 2x 660 ti's easily

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Yes I totally agree, but that's assuming he plans on upgrading nothing else in the future XD just giving him some friendly advice on how to avoid spending more in the future.

The other option is another Seasonic unit that just doesn't have a fan - it's a 520w from memory.

Thanks for the recommendations. How about a Cosair AX650. Here in my country there's no Seasonic reseller.

Thanks for the recommendations. How about a Cosair AX650. Here in my country there's no Seasonic reseller.

Yep, the AX650 uses the same internals as the x650 so thats a very good choice.

Great, I'll be getting that one then.

Thanks a lot for the help.

I'll finally get my rig done

I disagree, you said you plan to add another 660ti in the future. If this is the case I would recommend the Corsair AX 860i. First off, I agree with you for looking at seagate or corsair when developing your choices, however, for SLI a 650w is not enough. Use this PSU calculator from ASUS "http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx" it will help you determine how much wattage you need. Dont go too low on your power supply. All your components need to be utilizing as much power as they request based on the load on the system. If you go too low you risk performance losses or not even booting. I wouldnt go lower than 850w for a PSU and if you can pick a particular 850w PSU then the Corsair AX 860i is the best one out. Additionally, the Corsair AX 860i is fully modular so you can do extremely nice cable management in your system. I'd imagine that if you are planning on two 660ti's you probably want to show them off, which means you need good cable management.

Side note: I have the Corsair AX 1200i so I am speaking from experience with the models (obviously at a higher wattage). The AXi series PSU's are platinum efficiency, which is the best on the market.

Here's some pics as proof to show you my PSU.

post-14768-13667862276922_thumb.jpg

post-14768-13667862279851_thumb.jpg

post-14768-13667862276922_thumb.jpg

post-14768-13667862279851_thumb.jpg

I disagree, you said you plan to add another 660ti in the future. If this is the case I would recommend the Corsair AX 860i. First off, I agree with you for looking at seagate or corsair when developing your choices, however, for SLI a 650w is not enough. Use this PSU calculator from ASUS "http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx" it will help you determine how much wattage you need. Dont go too low on your power supply. All your components need to be utilizing as much power as they request based on the load on the system. If you go too low you risk performance losses or not even booting. I wouldnt go lower than 850w for a PSU and if you can pick a particular 850w PSU then the Corsair AX 860i is the best one out. Additionally, the Corsair AX 860i is fully modular so you can do extremely nice cable management in your system. I'd imagine that if you are planning on two 660ti's you probably want to show them off, which means you need good cable management.

Side note: I have the Corsair AX 1200i so I am speaking from experience with the models (obviously at a higher wattage). The AXi series PSU's are platinum efficiency, which is the best on the market.

Here's some pics as proof to show you my PSU.

Also, you can order single sleeved cables for your Corsair PSU whether you take my recommendation or get the 650w. I would get them if you have the money and want a cleaner look. I have the single sleeved red ones for my build.

Additionally, if you get a PSU that is too low wattage you may have heat problems because the PSU is working so hard. Heat in your case should always be avoided as much as possible.

I decided to get this http://products.xfxforce.com/en-us/Power_Supply/Pro_Series_1000W_PSU/P1-1000-BELX

The XFX Pro Series 1000w.

I know its overkill in wattage but availability is an issue for getting let's say an AX860.

What I'm curious about is if I can get sleeved cables like the ones Corsair makes for this power supply. The connectors on the PSU itself look pretty standard