How to Store and Charge FIFTY LAPTOPS!

We had the supremely first world problem of having nowhere to store our near 50 laptops. Today, Protocase helps us scratch that itch.

Buy Laptops:
Amazon: http://geni.us/U1Yp
Newegg: http://geni.us/yJ2IHBl

Also check out Protocase, those guys are pretty cool and made this project happen!: protocase.com

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

HYPE HYPE HYPE

widget.png?style=banner2

On 10/27/2017 at 6:58 PM, jakkuh_t said:

supremely first world problem

@jakkuh_t Definently a first world problem

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

9 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

posted friday but only showed up now?

sometimes we get videos uploaded ahead of time (hidden) :P

widget.png?style=banner2

On 10/27/2017 at 7:58 PM, jakkuh_t said:

We had the supremely first world problem of having nowhere to store our near 50 laptops. Today, Protocase helps us scratch that itch.

Buy Laptops:
Amazon: http://geni.us/U1Yp
Newegg: http://geni.us/yJ2IHBl

Also check out Protocase, those guys are pretty cool and made this project happen!: protocase.com

Could you post the cad files for these types of projects? Or are they intellectual property of LMG?

Thanks

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, jakkuh_t said:

sometimes we get videos uploaded ahead of time (hidden) :P

i'm talking about this thread, I didn't get a notification from my browser for this thread because of how it was done.

BUT LINUS JUST BUILD ONE OUT OF WOOD LINUS CMON LINUS

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

How about a custom integrated power supply (or two or three)? Would save a ton of room and be much easier to cool, and the less components the less likely it is to burst into flames.

Not sure where to put this suggestion, but you should do a video with an ultimate folding machine.  A desktop or server slot full of gpu's cranking on F@H, I think it would be good awareness for the community and if you add it to your rack and foot the electric bill, would be some needed horsepower in the folding community.  My friends wife was diagnosed with breast cancer the day after signing the contract on their house to move out of their apartment, she has had a mastectomy hysterectomy and chemo.  Also he lost his job this month and she of course can't work.  Another friend has cancer on his ear and after several different surgeries they have removed his entire ear, he just got married and had a kid.  My uncle had and beat pancreatic cancer.  My Grandfather was taken by prostate cancer though it was during old age, and my grandmother had a hysterectomy in old age due to cancer.

My point is I think it would be a boost to F@H to make a video and encourage viewers to partake.  Plus it would be fun to watch the LTT team numbers pile up.

edit: I just searched and remember watching the 2 year old video.  It would be nice to see a full fledged server case though. I'm pretty sure that video is what sold me on the Noctis 450, my "server" x99 is in one now.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

probably need the protocase of power bricks for that ._. Also would charging (say) 5 laptops through one brick generate a lot more heat in one spot? o_o

going through google and some bring up power bricks that talks to the laptops they're charging, so that could be another complication

They wouldn't need to be very large or produce much heat. Just take a look at computer power supplies, up to like 1500w in a box smaller than a shoe box and 80%+ efficient (so less than 300w of heat output, about that of a high end video card). Laptop power bricks are like 20-30w (except for the few high end gaming laptops that take a couple hundred watts) one power supply could charge tens of laptops (they tend to take different voltages so you could have multiple separate supplies so all the laptops wouldn't be charging from a single one).

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Oh right didn't think of using PC PSUs ._. but do those boxes like it when they mostly go from background (about 10% load) to all charging at once (about 90% load) and back and forth almost all the time?

I wasn't saying to specifically use computer PSUs, just using them as an example (in fact they wouldn't work with most laptops as they only go up to 12v). You can buy single and multi-voltage universal power supplies.

There'd be no issue with the varying load (efficiency would change but that's not really a concern, it'd probably be better than it currently is) and it probably wouldn't be constantly going from 10% to 90% anyway.

This video was in a stark contrast with the usual content - it was a cool gadget, but I feel like it was really poorly presented.

The structure of the video was backwards, I did not understand what exactly is this thing, why you need it and why is that challenging till at least halfway throughout the video. It would be much clearer if it'd have the motivation (what is the problem and why that's the problem) right at the start.

I also was unsure why in a custom-built piece of equipment you don't have some standardized "power brick walls" that'd power multiple notebooks, or at least comment on why it's too complex/costly.

Besides, wasn't it bad for battery life to keep the devices plugged in 24/7?

Smoothest segway yet. Also, how much did it cost to get Markiplier to help with the editting?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

• 7 months later...
On 10/30/2017 at 1:17 AM, VegetableStu said:

Oh right didn't think of using PC PSUs ._. but do those boxes like it when they mostly go from background (about 10% load) to all charging at once (about 90% load) and back and forth almost all the time?

Most laptops on the market stop charging at 100% charge, and then stop charging until the battery drops to 95% and then charges back to 100%. Toshiba u have a choice of that or up to 80% only for longer battery life. Lenovo Yoga 910/920 is either charge to 100% or limit charging to 60%.

Charging from 95-100% is usually much slower than at lower SOCs. 

Max charge rate of a laptop battery is usually 40w or less. 

A lot of laptops run on 19VDC but not all!

Linus said many times that they designed and bought this case so their laptop batteries wouldn't die..... but, I hope he knows that (consumer grade) lithium ion battery cells degrade being left at or near full charge all the time, even if not being used..15% a year maybe more.  For laptops that are not used often, it would be wise to store them at 40% charge or less on the shelf or in that box unplugged. Take out of laptop if possible or figure out how much leakage & make charge top-off schedule.

With my laptop batteries, I store them at about 30% in the fridge and I don't worry about the batteries severely discharging. Every 6 months I take them out and charge them for a half hour or less, aiming for 30% or so SOC. So when the battery in my laptop dies, I put it in the recycling pile and take out 1 from the fridge and it is like new. 

SO, storing lithium ion batteries at full charge really isn't a good idea if your goal is to keep them from dying.. But setting up a schedule to charge them a little every month or something like that would be a better tactic.