Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chaicho

Laptop for college?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I heard that I need a laptop for community college and I was looking around but I'd like a few recommendation from more knowledged folks.

I don't really know what programs I would be running since I haven't gone to college yet but I'm guessing just office programs and stuff like that.

Don't have a budget yet but I was looking at a $350 laptop and I wouldn't want it to go anymore than that.

Thank you!

Get one when you know what your college requires.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You should consider more than just College in your laptop purchase:

Do you game? 

Is this your only PC?

Can I upgrade my laptop without voiding the warranty?

Can I upgrade its RAM and internal HDD easily?

And lastly, the most important part:  Do you even need a laptop for what you are doing?  I have friends who do not have a laptop and do fine in community colleges.  Laptops are not necessarily a requirement, but it depends on what you do.

I am in Computer Engineering and would die without a laptop that is capable of gaming, (GTX 960M) my friend going to a community college is going into the automotive industry and still shares his desktop PC with his parents!

Edit:

As far as recommendation goes, AVOID any Chromebook.  What you will be using must be able to use Microsoft Word, I've personally had instances in which Google Docs failed to catch a dumb mistake (like a sentence fragment) while Word caught that same one.  That said, its not perfect either.  (one could go for Linux, but Windows is a lot more stress free.)

Edited by Weak1ings
More Info

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

hes not going to get a laptop which can game and not be total shit for under 350

maybe get an ipad because, while its not a full-on laptop, it would be a better quality product all around than any craptop for 350

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

i would recommend looking at a used lenovo thinkpad. they last for a long time, great keyboards and trackpads, good battery life and good specs for 200-350$

the T4s are a good line with lots of different specs and price points. check ebay for exact prices and specs.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb