Amazon wants to go one step futher than delivering to your door, quite literally

Amazon announced a new service called Amazon Key. The idea is that a smart lock will be installed on your door and security cameras will be installed to keep track of the movements of the delivery man as they're inside your dwelling to drop off your orders. The purpose of this service is to:

“[give] customers peace of mind knowing their orders have been safely delivered to their homes and are waiting for them when they walk through their doors,” Peter Larsen, vice president of delivery technology...

Amazon is also planning to expand this technology to allow third parties you choose like cleaners and pet sitters, the same seamless access to your house. 

I don't know about you, but I for sure won't be a customer for this service. I know many people living in apartments don't even trust maintenance workers in their suites. I'm surprised that this even got past their legal team. I know Amazon wants to get their hands in the security business, but this doesn't seem like the way to go. 

Source: http://vancouversun.com/technology/personal-tech/amazon-wants-to-let-the-delivery-person-unlock-your-front-door-and-go-inside-your-home/wcm/f497d9e6-bf2d-41a0-9660-cf351124bfd3

Edited by iamdarkyoshi
Fixed for night theme users

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

No thanks, there's something called privacy I feel should be respect here in this matter :/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Hahaha. Oh boy. I wonder if this will be allowed in apartment complexes. I kind of doubt it, since it opens the whole building up to the entrant. Personally I wouldn't care about the Amazon employee gaining entry, but the fact that it could be hacked, misused, etc makes it a no go for me. How many times have we had data leaks?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

kinda creepy but ey I may be onboard.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

What about having a dedicated safe box for amazon packages next to my door instead of giving a random guy access to my house? That would save the cost of cameras (not to mention the privacy concerns those would bring up) and avoid the risk that having your lock on the internet would pose.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The only way I would use it if I had a double door system.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Amazon does great stuff, but sometimes it stumbles across a dumb idea like fire tablet or this bullshit

Maybe this will catch on after another 2 generations but not now.

they def didnt consider older generations in their planning and thats assuming the youngest person in the family is okay with this.

Just now, Glenwing said:

I could see it happening if I had a house with an "airlock", where a delivery guy could enter the outer door and drop it off in there :P 

I'd rather just have an Amazon locker type thing installed somewhere for the delivery driver to put the parcel in. Not allowing someone I don't know into my house without me there, even if it's only a porch. 

I think a more sensible approach should be taken and maybe have like a doorstep box that is either affixed to the house or to concrete where the label on the package or the amazon employee's badge acts like a key to that box. 
Your phone might also be able to act as the key either through bluetooth or if the lock and your phone were NFC enabled, which for iOS devices if Apple hasn't already unlocked NFC for third party use might require some sort of getting Apple on board with it. Otherwise it could include a fob or traditional key that you can use to access the secure box.

Personally, what I would like best that doesn't work with all homes would be have a secondary smaller door for packages like that with the smart lock. So the courier could open that smaller door with the label or their badge but there'd be literally no way for them to get into the house through that door as it would either be a one way door that doesn't pass into the house or it'd be like two doors and the other would be locked from the inside with no real way of breaking in without doing damage.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What about having a dedicated safe box for amazon packages next to my door instead of giving a random guy access to my house? That would save the cost of cameras (not to mention the privacy concerns those would bring up) and avoid the risk that having your lock on the internet would pose.

Well you beat me to it lol, but yeah maybe like a small scale Amazon Locker that instead you pay for or would get with like a tiered Amazon Prime subscription?

Just now, wcreek said:

Personally, what I would like best that doesn't work with all homes would be have a secondary smaller door for packages like that with the smart lock. So the courier could open that smaller door with the label or their badge but there'd be literally no way for them to get into the house through that door as it would either be a one way door that doesn't pass into the house or it'd be like two doors and the other would be locked from the inside with no real way of breaking in without doing damage.

Ah-ha! I have your solution. 

petsafe-staywell-340-cat-flap-lifestyle-

No, never. I barely trust the mailman OUTSIDE of my house. First off, NOBODY  will have access to MY security cameras inside of MY house. Especially they would NOT be able to track people in my house either. I have never heard such an absurd idea, and if Amazon told this to me I would laugh in their face. "seamless access" sounds like some marketing scheme the government wants to pay big companies to spy on us for. I am quite able to open my door to pick up my package on my property. I do not trust ANYBODY to install security cameras in my own home. If ANYBODY comes into my house, without my consent or documents stating they can, they will meet their utter fate. To add to this if I purchase a smart lock, an expensive one at that, I would be horrified to see a mailman being able to just enter without owners consent. This utterly disgusts me and would be a huge invasion of privacy and rights as a human. Hacking these locks could be so simple, I believe the old tech is the superior technology in security. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

USPS has a neat system where next to the mailboxes at my complex there's a parcel locker. They leave a key in your box and you go to the parcel locker to unlock it and get your stuff.

I would say they should share this with other couriers, but I can imagine this could get icky real fast.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Ah-ha! I have your solution. 

snipo

Well that might be an option xD 

But nah say you have a door like this?
iStock_000011884754_Small.jpg

But instead of glass it's like wood or something but like one side would have like a smaller door on one side that would accommodate most boxes but idk

Honestly I’m quite satisfied with the photos they take of the package once it’s dropped off on my porch.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

1 minute ago, Tars said:

Honestly I’m quite satisfied with the photos they take of the package once it’s dropped off on my porch.

Eh, I wouldn't put it past an asshole courier to take a photo then leave with the package. If anything, the receiver has less power to contest an undelivered package unless you have a camera at the door.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Eh, I wouldn't put it past an asshole courier to take a photo then leave with the package. If anything, the receiver has less power to contest an undelivered package.

Exactly, and they'd allow them inside? This isn't really a good idea... Say I have trust issues, but I don't even like people having access to my computer so my whole home is a definite no

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Eh, I wouldn't put it past an asshole courier to take a photo then leave with the package. If anything, the receiver has less power to contest an undelivered package unless you have a camera at the door.

Then put your own camera at your door. Not Amazon’s. And definitely not their lock.  

23 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

I could see it happening if I had a house with an "airlock", where a delivery guy could enter the outer door and drop it off in there :P 

25 minutes ago, VinsinityKT said:

The only way I would use it if I had a double door system.

Do I detect inspiration from Ready Player One? :) 

That's an F in the profile pic