How hot do phones usually get with wireless charging?

Skanky Sylveon
1 minute ago, Radioactive Snowman said:

Not very, my s8+ barely felt warm after charging wirelessly for a while

So, being slightly uncomfortable to the touch is probably a problem?

Does it get that hot if you charge it through a cable?

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Just now, Radioactive Snowman said:

Your phone doesn't natively support it so extra heat is inevitable

OK, so extra temps is normal.  Good to know.

Just now, DJ46 said:

Does it get that hot if you charge it through a cable?

No, it's not the battery that gets hot though, it's the receiver.  The receiver is literally touching the battery though.

3 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

No, it's not the battery that gets hot though, it's the receiver.

It seems to be quite cheaply made, at least according to the reviews. Extra heat makes sense.

I don't know if the extra heat will damage the phone over time, but I don't think batteries like to be heated up.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

As I have wireless charged my s6 for well over a year or so (broken USB connector) I can say no they don't get hot, its gotten a lot hotter in use than on charge. The only caveat which may be due to wireless charging is I have had to change battery as the original expanded and popped the back cover off

3 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

It seems to be quite cheaply made, at least according to the reviews. Extra heat makes sense.

There is no real way for the receiver to dissipate heat effectively.  All of these types of receivers would probably have the same issue.

4 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

I don't know if the extra heat will damage the phone over time, but I don't think batteries like to be heated up.

No, they don't.  It is quite convenient, but not only do I have to deal with not having access to the USB port, I now have to deal with a hot phone that may decrease the battery's lifespan.

I might just remove it.

Your receivers creating extra head because it is what changing the power from the plug into usable power for the phone. so it's job having to  receive charge wirelessly and then changing it into energy that can be used for the phone will cause extra heat as there isn't anyway they implemented to distribute heat.

Which phones that are capable of wireless charging the Dock is what converts the power and the phone receives the energy causing minor heat to be generated via the phone and on top of that the fairly large casing that some wireless  docks come as tend to distribute the heat from converting making it seem as if it hasn't heated at all.

It inevitable that the receiver would produce extra heat as it is functioning more differently than a conventional wireless charger.

So short version Ya better off not using it because the extra head can cause the battery lifespan to shorten and also could cause problems among other systems.  

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...