Is it worth Samsung 850 evo in raid 0 ?

keavlar

Hey guys , the topic is basically the question . 

Is it worth to have 2 500Gb SSD Samsung evo 850 in raid 0 or any other raids?

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

Depends what it's being used for. 

In general though, RAID 0 is something I would almost never advise doing. RAID 1 would have its uses, but again, it depends what the drives are used for and your backup solution. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends what it's being used for. 

In general though, RAID 0 is something I would almost never advise doing. RAID 1 would have its uses, but again, it depends what the drives are used for and your backup solution. 

The SSD & Raid 0 , would be used only for Programs, System, Games. Back up files will be saved via hard drive located in hard Drive docking station , which are only music, video , programs installation files. 

What kind of issues we talking about . 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

I would not run RAID 0. There is no redundancy, and the speed you’ll gain won’t be worth risking all of your data. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, keavlar said:

The SSD & Raid 0 , would be used only for Programs, System, Games. Back up files will be saved via hard drive located in hard Drive docking station , which are only music, video , programs installation files. 

What kind of issues we talking about . 

Then no, not worth it. 

You effectively double the chances of losing data, as if either drive fails, all data on the array is gone. If the array itself fails or is corrupted, the data is gone. It can provide some speed benefits, mostly for sequential read/writes, but what you're using it for uses mostly random read/writes so the performance benefits would be next to nothing for real world usage. 

RAID 1 would make more sense, but not if you don't have a backup. Backup should come before redundancy, as redundancy doesn't protect you from data loss, just from system downtime. 

13 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Then no, not worth it. 

You effectively double the chances of losing data, as if either drive fails, all data on the array is gone. If the array itself fails or is corrupted, the data is gone. It can provide some speed benefits, mostly for sequential read/writes, but what you're using it for uses mostly random read/writes so the performance benefits would be next to nothing for real world usage. 

RAID 1 would make more sense, but not if you don't have a backup. Backup should come before redundancy, as redundancy doesn't protect you from data loss, just from system downtime. 

So better just to buy 1TB of SSD storage ? 

Just now, keavlar said:

So better just to buy 1TB of SSD storage ? 

Yep, unless you want to separate things by drive so you have an OS and programs drive and then a games drive. That can be useful in the case you ever need to reinstall the OS as you wouldn't need to redownload and install your games again. 

Basically, I would just advise against RAID 0. It offers more potential issues and risks than benefits. 1TB SSD or two 500GB SSDs running separately from each other are both good options, which you go for really just depends on whether you want to split data or just have it all on one drive.

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yep, unless you want to separate things by drive so you have an OS and programs drive and then a games drive. That can be useful in the case you ever need to reinstall the OS as you wouldn't need to redownload and install your games again. 

Basically, I would just advise against RAID 0. It offers more potential issues and risks than benefits. 1TB SSD or two 500GB SSDs running separately from each other are both good options, which you go for really just depends on whether you want to split data or just have it all on one drive.

This is basically what i was doing till now. 

I have 250 for System and Programs only, and 500 for games. 

But when I reinstalling the System, i also format the Games drive. I don't mind to download them. 

And i also have 1 TB of WD Blue, for storage. 

But the reason i was asking for the Raid 0 , is to get another 500 GB of SSD, and combine with the old one, and then to store all programs and games on it.

As i am planning to remove the Hard drive from PC, and connect it via separated docking station , to be able to shut it down when i don't need it , and when not in use. 

As at night , while my entire PC, is in silence mode, the only thing i can hear , and is annoying , is the hard drive spinning . 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

Why not just buy a nvme ssd? Much faster speeds with good reliability 

Em.. what for ? We are not talking about size of the part it self , but the storage size. Unless you thinking about something else, which i didn't followed. 

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Why not just buy a nvme ssd? Much faster speeds with good reliability 

For what he's using it for, it's barely any faster in real world performance and quite a bit more expensive. NVMe would just be a waste of money in his case 

17 minutes ago, keavlar said:

This is basically what i was doing till now. 

I have 250 for System and Programs only, and 500 for games. 

But when I reinstalling the System, i also format the Games drive. I don't mind to download them. 

And i also have 1 TB of WD Blue, for storage. 

But the reason i was asking for the Raid 0 , is to get another 500 GB of SSD, and combine with the old one, and then to store all programs and games on it.

As i am planning to remove the Hard drive from PC, and connect it via separated docking station , to be able to shut it down when i don't need it , and when not in use. 

As at night , while my entire PC, is in silence mode, the only thing i can hear , and is annoying , is the hard drive spinning . 

I'd say get another 500GB drive and keep running it like you already do. RAID 0 is pretty much only disadvantages for your usage. 

27 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Thought you wanted speed. Nevermind

xD

20 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I'd say get another 500GB drive and keep running it like you already do. RAID 0 is pretty much only disadvantages for your usage. 

Yeah, i figured that  much . Thx ! 

On the way let me ask you. 

There is not gonna be any performance and speed difference , if i connect the standard hard drive in dock station ? via USB 3 This is the Dock  Right ?

2 hours ago, keavlar said:

Yeah, i figured that  much . Thx ! 

On the way let me ask you. 

There is not gonna be any performance and speed difference , if i connect the standard hard drive in dock station ? via USB 3 This is the Dock  Right ?

USB 3 is capable of 5Gbps, just shy of SATA 3's 6Gbps. Most HDDs cap out at about or below 150MB/s, which is about 1.2Gbps, not even close to USB 3's bandwidth. 

Basically, it will not decrease performance 

11 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

USB 3 is capable of 5Gbps, just shy of SATA 3's 6Gbps. Most HDDs cap out at about or below 150MB/s, which is about 1.2Gbps, not even close to USB 3's bandwidth. 

Basically, it will not decrease performance 

Thx

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone, i see this is an old thread but there seems to be alot of guessing and misunderstanding here...

I have (2) 500gb samsung 850 evo's in raid 0 for almost 2 years now, and had no problems with them except once when we had a power surge, i had to rebuild the array and it was actually quite easy, i lost no data.

One of those drives is actually 9 months older than the other, but honestly the 850 evos are such a reliable drive i see no issue with this array working for a decade.

So ive gained a reasonable boost in speed, 1tb of storage on a single system listed drive instead of 500gb (if was raid 1)

Keeping all of your important data backed up on another drive or in the cloud is a must if you choose to do this, I keep all of my critical data away from the array on separate backup drives, so no problems there. If i lose the array i will NOT lose any data that matters cause its all stored separately.

This setup may not be for everyone, especially with the nice sales on high capacity ssd's these days, but it does work and boy do i love that my games load in a blink... And i dont have to wait for the slow boot-up / compatibility issues of an nvmE drive

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 3:48 AM, MrBalls88 said:

Hello everyone, i see this is an old thread but there seems to be alot of guessing and misunderstanding here...

I have (2) 500gb samsung 850 evo's in raid 0 for almost 2 years now, and had no problems with them except once when we had a power surge, i had to rebuild the array and it was actually quite easy, i lost no data.

One of those drives is actually 9 months older than the other, but honestly the 850 evos are such a reliable drive i see no issue with this array working for a decade.

So ive gained a reasonable boost in speed, 1tb of storage on a single system listed drive instead of 500gb (if was raid 1)

Keeping all of your important data backed up on another drive or in the cloud is a must if you choose to do this, I keep all of my critical data away from the array on separate backup drives, so no problems there. If i lose the array i will NOT lose any data that matters cause its all stored separately.

This setup may not be for everyone, especially with the nice sales on high capacity ssd's these days, but it does work and boy do i love that my games load in a blink... And i dont have to wait for the slow boot-up / compatibility issues of an nvmE drive

Thx for sharing mate. 

About backing up. 

I have nothing important on SSD, i store all on hard drive - WD-blue. 

What you use, and what would you suggest? 

On 1/17/2019 at 1:41 AM, keavlar said:

Thx for sharing mate. 

About backing up. 

I have nothing important on SSD, i store all on hard drive - WD-blue. 

What you use, and what would you suggest? 

I am currently use a bunch of external seagate drives for backup, some are 4tb sshd (not for sale anymore) and some are just 4tb backup plus drives. They push 150-190mb/s for large files which is decent.