Advice on this monitor

katoptrys

So, I am planning on upgrading my current garbage display (a generic 1080P TV-Monitor that is actually native 720P) within the next months.

Prices and availability are tough here. 

LG 24mp59g-p  is the model of a display I found that seemed pretty good. Anyone who can tell me anything about it?

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

15 minutes ago, katoptrys said:

[...] (a generic 1080P TV-Monitor that is actually native 720P) [...]

You have my attention lol

what exactly is this?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what exactly is this?

my guess is that the TV accepts an input of up to 1080p but then scales it to its native resolution of 720p. Could be very wrong tho

7 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

my guess is that the TV accepts an input of up to 1080p but then scales it to its native resolution of 720p. Could be very wrong tho

You're probably right. I had a "1080p TV" that I used as a monitor. Max resolution was only 1366x768.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

That LG seems like a solid monitor. 1080p, IPS, 75hz, FreeSync... It has all attributes of a good monitor. But I have only reddit posts to say that it is actually a good monitor, there seem to be no in-depth reviews on it that I can lean on. Reddit, says that it is a 'nice looking monitor' and no noticeable backlight bleed. But you may have to do some extra work to get LG drivers and color profile to work:

Spoiler

As for the driver, you have to get in device manager, right click on the monitor, driver, update, second option (manually browse or something like that) and browse to the driver folder, as the setup is useless. Then you have to select their ICC profile and reboot.

There is also supposedly an issue of 'pixelated blues' but I'm not sure of the severity or legitimacy of the issue. But unless it bothers you much, I wouldn't worry about it.

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

what exactly is this?

Honestly no clue, I just know it was a nightmare to set it up. According to Nvidia control panel, the native resolution is 720p, although it allows me to use 1080p resolution (even though it requires a lot more tuning or the edges will be cropped out)

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

2 hours ago, katoptrys said:

Honestly no clue, I just know it was a nightmare to set it up. According to Nvidia control panel, the native resolution is 720p, although it allows me to use 1080p resolution (even though it requires a lot more tuning or the edges will be cropped out)

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Some 720p TVs will accept 1080p input and downscale it (like DSR) so that they can advertise "1080p-ready" or something like that.

Interesting xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.