Help me choose a monitor :)

Mcshield

Hi, i'm deciding on which monitor to buy, i've narrowed it down to 2.

Are there any issues with the following monitors which would sway my decision? any unreliable quality issues?

anything other than the cost :)

Following moniters:

Predator XB271HUABMIPRZ

ASUS-PG278QR

Links to the monitors are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-ZeroFrame-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01EN5JN5K?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ76EIXAV3V6D6JEQ&tag=gnod-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01EN5JN5K

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PG278QR-Gaming-monitor-USB3-0/dp/B01LWQGIUR?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ76EIXAV3V6D6JEQ&tag=gnod-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01LWQGIUR

I picked these for the 144hz, g-sync, 1ms response time and 1440p.

One more thing, is screen tearing really that noticeable at 144?

Any help would be appreciated

6 minutes ago, Zic05 said:

XB271Hbmiptz

please share your reason why??

2 minutes ago, Mcshield said:

Because it is fast at quite high resolution 1440p/144Hz

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Because it is fast at quite high resolution 1440p/144Hz

i mean why that one over the others. they are all of the same resolution, refresh rate and response time.

1 minute ago, Mcshield said:

i mean why that one over the others. they are all of the same resolution, refresh rate and response time.

ok then i guess the ZeroFrame's aesthetics looks are better than others

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

The AOC AG271QG because it is IPS on top of 1440p144hz. The Acer and Asus versions of this display have had very spotty records of backlight bleed but I haven't heard too many bad things about the QC on this particular display.

22 minutes ago, Brett_Bst said:

Acer Predator XB271Hbmiprz is 1080p not 1440p

updated my post now

9 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

The AOC AG271QG because it is IPS on top of 1440p144hz. The Acer and Asus versions of this display have had very spotty records of backlight bleed but I haven't heard too many bad things about the QC on this particular display.

i want to go for specifically a tn panel :)

apparently acer monitors are unreliable in terms of build quality but i haven't heard any issues with asus ones.

thanks for the input though :)

Just now, Mcshield said:

updated my post now

apparently acer monitors are unreliable in terms of build quality but i haven't heard any issues with asus ones.

thanks for the input though :)

well I have the predator x34 and have no issues and all ips have ips bleed

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

1 minute ago, Brett_Bst said:

well I have the predator x34 and have no issues and all ips have ips bleed

So would you recommend g-sync then? even at 144hz is it a huge improvement?

2 hours ago, Mcshield said:

I have that one and I really like it and it’s the cheapest 

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

33 minutes ago, Mcshield said:

So would you recommend g-sync then? even at 144hz is it a huge improvement?

g-sync is worth it to me but then I don't mind paying the extra money to have a g-sync moniter... I wouldn't say its huge difference

I7 7700K @5.0ghz, Asus Z270-P, Corsair H115i, hyperX 16gb, Asus duel 1070, Nzxt H440

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZTsYD8

44 minutes ago, Mcshield said:

any reason why?

44 minutes ago, Mcshield said:

Both the Acer XB271HU and the Asus PG279Q use the same panel both with housing, stands, and the logo of its respective brand. That panel is notorious for having bad Quality Control resulting in some people having to RMA their monitor many times before getting one with minimal backlight bleed. The AOC has the same panel but whether it has as bad QC as the Asus and Acer is not known by me.

8 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

any reason why?

Both the Acer XB271HU and the Asus PG279Q use the same panel both with housing, stands, and the logo of its respective brand. That panel is notorious for having bad Quality Control resulting in some people having to RMA their monitor many times before getting one with minimal backlight bleed. The AOC has the same panel but whether it has as bad QC as the Asus and Acer is not known by me.

I mainly play esport games. I also know that 1ms is more like 3 in most situations, as 4ms is more like 6. Last thing I want is ghosting :) each frame at 144hz is 6.9ms so I wouldn't want an IPS panel going over that. Also there expensive.

5 hours ago, Mcshield said:

I mainly play esport games. I also know that 1ms is more like 3 in most situations, as 4ms is more like 6. Last thing I want is ghosting :) each frame at 144hz is 6.9ms so I wouldn't want an IPS panel going over that. Also there expensive.

hmm, If you can, I would recommend checking out an IPS 144hz panel if you can find one somewhere in person. And this monitor is one of the best concerning input lag, so don't worry about that:

The AG271QG is one of the quickest gaming monitors we’ve reviewed. It and its FreeSync counterpart, the AG271QX, share the crown for fastest panel response. And the QG’s 26ms total lag score is eclipsed only by the Asus PG271Q, and only by one millisecond. For all intents and purposes, it’s a wash. If you detect latency on this monitor, you have supernatural skills. Mere humans will simply experience perfectly smooth motion with little to no perceptible blur and instant responses to keyboard and mouse inputs.

~ http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-ag271qg-agon-27-inch-g-sync-monitor,4889-5.html

2 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

hmm, If you can, I would recommend checking out an IPS 144hz panel if you can find one somewhere in person. And this monitor is one of the best concerning input lag, so don't worry about that:

~ http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-ag271qg-agon-27-inch-g-sync-monitor,4889-5.html

i've decided i definitely want to get a g-sync panel but im a little iffy about IPS over tn for gaming. its also very very expensive if i want IPS with all the other things that i would like.

is there a comparison between IPS and TN input lag on toms hardware? i couldn't find one myself.

18 minutes ago, Mcshield said:

its also very very expensive

You can get the AOC for 560: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-Monitor-Display-Speakers-AG271QG/dp/B01GTODWPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1508869764&sr=1-1&keywords=AG271QG

It is 1440p144hz 165hz and has G-Sync. That's everything on your list, I think.

20 minutes ago, Mcshield said:

is there a comparison between IPS and TN input lag on toms hardware

on the article they have a graph showing the input lag on multiple monitors of various display types:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9K

The Asus PG279Q is the monitor with the lowest absolute input lag. And the AOC is almost there. Do note that you can't say TN has lower input lag than IPS or vice versa. It's a monitor to monitor thing. You can see that the AOC has much less lag than the Dell even though they are both IPS.

20 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

You can get the AOC for 560: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-Monitor-Display-Speakers-AG271QG/dp/B01GTODWPU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1508869764&sr=1-1&keywords=AG271QG

It is 1440p144hz 165hz and has G-Sync. That's everything on your list, I think.

on the article they have a graph showing the input lag on multiple monitors of various display types:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9K

The Asus PG279Q is the monitor with the lowest absolute input lag. And the AOC is almost there. Do note that you can't say TN has lower input lag than IPS or vice versa. It's a monitor to monitor thing. You can see that the AOC has much less lag than the Dell even though they are both IPS.

I recommend that you at least try it. Of course TN has advantages over IPS but I think you'll end up liking IPS. If you don't, then Amazon should let you return it and you can get a TN instead.

21 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

I recommend that you at least try it. Of course TN has advantages over IPS but I think you'll end up liking IPS. If you don't, then Amazon should let you return it and you can get a TN instead.

ok, ill take it into account. cheers for your input though. i appreciate it ^^