Introducing "Pay with Google", a new way to speed up checkout on Android.

AlTech
16 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

it doesn't say.

There's no reason why it should be.

Probably not since Magazineluiza is a Brazilian Company.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I want competition in the OS market. But we don't need 5 different payment standards per OS.

1 is satisfactory. 2-4 is just annoying to deal with especially when Samsung is only pushing their thing because they disagree/have beef with Google.

As someone who may be switching to Android, I would never use Samsung Pay even if i bought a Samsung Phone. As it stands I don't plan on buying a Samsung Phone ever so I'm not too bored about that.

Exactly why is it annoying to deal with? What is so bothering you?

Samsung, whether we like it or not, has the privilege to do whatever it wants on the market and people will follow.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Exactly why is it annoying to deal with? What is so bothering you?

I want Stores and retail to focus on Android Pay Support and Apple Pay support rather than Samsung Pay Support.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, Eniqmatic said:

I would have to disagree, at least here in the UK every place that I've personally been to (that I can recall) that supports Apple Pay also support Android Pay. I've never seen an Apple Pay only system. Pretty much every place here has it, even small local shops. I've never seen Samsung Pay advertised (not saying it isn't supported)

Well you can disagree but I am just basing it on articles throughout the years. Seeing how it support MST which mimics actual magnetic strips makes it more compatible with a lot of terminals where android pay requires NFC which is why Apple pay is usually supported with it. 

4 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

cause they don't need to advertise it, the thing simply works with all magnetic readers

I just looked it up, its only been available in the UK since May of 2017...Apple Pay and Android Pay obviously have been around a lot longer.. So it didn't simply work.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

35 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well you can disagree but I am just basing it on articles throughout the years. Seeing how it support MST which mimics actual magnetic strips makes it more compatible with a lot of terminals where android pay requires NFC which is why Apple pay is usually supported with it. 

I don't remember the last time I saw magnetic being used in the UK, we've been chip and pin for 11 years now in the UK.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Just now, Eniqmatic said:

I don't remember the last time I saw magnetic being used in the UK, we've been chip and pin for 11 years now in the UK.

Well in the US chips are still new and not accepted everywhere. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Indeed, really surprising to see the US so far behind in this regard! Or maybe its not but seems like it to me haha!

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Indeed, really surprising to see the US so far behind in this regard! Or maybe its not but seems like it to me haha!

The fact is, chipped cards are no more secure than non-chipped.  They may make it slightly more difficult to copy, but far from impossible (or even hard for that matter).  In fact, in some ways they're even easier to copy, since someone just needs to get a chip reader close to your wallet/purse to scan your card and they have all your CC information.  There's literally nothing safer about the technology.

8 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

The fact is, chipped cards are no more secure than non-chipped.  They may make it slightly more difficult to copy, but far from impossible (or even hard for that matter).  In fact, in some ways they're even easier to copy, since someone just needs to get a chip reader close to your wallet/purse to scan your card and they have all your CC information.  There's literally nothing safer about the technology.

I agree. I never thought they were more secure. Especially when you can still swipe the card at most terminals which completely invalidates the chip. 

12 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I'm guessing you've never worked with chip and pin and tried to read them then? Otherwise you wouldn't think that, clearly it is not that easy.

German supermarkets are fucking slow to accept mobile payments. I really want to use Android pay but it is nowhere possible. I haven´t seen even apply pay or whatever they call it.

The supermarkets have their own shitty system but nobody uses their app to pay. Not worth it so far because it is unnecessarily complicated. For example, only certain phones with certain operating systems work.... total nightmare

I'm guessing you've never worked with chip and pin and tried to read them then? Otherwise you wouldn't think that, clearly it is not that easy.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/wordpress/2011/02/23/are-you-protected-against-rfid-chip-credit-card-scams/

Cashiers can use a credit card reader to quickly scan the information contained in your credit card’s RFID chip. But a credit card scammer could just as easily use one of these readers to access your card’s information directly from your wallet.

Anyone can purchase a credit card reader online for no more than a hundred bucks. Then they need only get close enough to your wallet for the scanner to read the contents of your chipped card.

http://fortune.com/2017/02/01/credit-card-chips-fraud/

Although the security chips, which have become increasingly ubiquitous at stores across the nation, have made it harder for criminals to counterfeit credit and debit cards, fraud has actually risen over the last year, according to a new study.

Many thought the use of electronic chips would derail criminal activity. But as it turns out, the new electronic chips embedded in cards seem to be actually spurring on more fraud than they prevent.

So, perhaps I misspoke in my previous post.  It may not be easier to duplicate the chip part, but it is easier to read the data (unless you take preventative measures), which allows scammers to use your CC info online.  Or they can simply create a card with a "broken" chip and make the retailer swipe it instead.

And that's just a small sampling of what I found.

21 hours ago, Jito463 said:

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/wordpress/2011/02/23/are-you-protected-against-rfid-chip-credit-card-scams/

So, perhaps I misspoke in my previous post.  It may not be easier to duplicate the chip part, but it is easier to read the data (unless you take preventative measures), which allows scammers to use your CC info online.  Or they can simply create a card with a "broken" chip and make the retailer swipe it instead.

Right, so you are saying that anyone could put your card into a card reader and magically have all your card information? So you are saying putting in your pin number is a pointless exercise because the machine clearly doesn't require it to do its job?

On 23.10.2017 at 8:25 PM, mok said:

is it specific to USA ?

if you look at the partner list you already know it wont be for europe at least with that little partners from here.

1 hour ago, Eniqmatic said:

Right, so you are saying that anyone could put your card into a card reader and magically have all your card information? So you are saying putting in your pin number is a pointless exercise because the machine clearly doesn't require it to do its job?

You've never heard of chipped CC before that does not require a PIN?  Also, the PIN is for authorization purposes, it's not some encryption key that prevents the machine from reading the card.  By the time you're asked for your PIN, the machine has already read your card, verified the information is correct and is prepared to send the transaction to your bank.

23 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I think your confusion is that not all cards with a chip use RFID, in fact in the US, most companies do not use RFID and have refused to adopt it due to the concerns you have stated. However, cards that have chips are not all RFID. Most cards that have a chip will force you to use a pin unless the reader does not have the chip reader implemented yet, in which case it will allow you to swipe the magnetic strip usually still requiring your pin however.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I think your confusion is that not all cards with a chip use RFID, in fact in the US, most companies do not use RFID and have refused to adopt it due to the concerns you have stated. However, cards that have chips are not all RFID. Most cards that have a chip will force you to use a pin unless the reader does not have the chip reader implemented yet, in which case it will allow you to swipe the magnetic strip usually still requiring your pin however.

Actually, none of them use RFID, they use NFC which is based off RFID technology.  And again, the PIN is not some magic encryption key that prevents reading the card.  It's used for authorization of the transaction.

Now, I will append one correction to my previous statement.  Apparently some cards support a technology called EMV that actually randomizes the information passed to the CC scanner, so in those cases it would be much more difficult to copy.  Having said that, no technology is without flaws (as proven recently with KRACK, Reaper, etc) and I still maintain my stance that - even in spite of EMV - the thieves will find a way to nab your card if they're determined to.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:35 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Nope.

Android Pay is for in Stores and Retail.

Pay with Google is for online purchases.

So is this when you're on a website (not an app) and it's another option for checkout which then launches in an app?...like PayPal already does?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Actually, none of them use RFID, they use NFC which is based off RFID technology.  And again, the PIN is not some magic encryption key that prevents reading the card.  It's used for authorization of the transaction.

Now, I will append one correction to my previous statement.  Apparently some cards support a technology called EMV that actually randomizes the information passed to the CC scanner, so in those cases it would be much more difficult to copy.  Having said that, no technology is without flaws (as proven recently with KRACK, Reaper, etc) and I still maintain my stance that - even in spite of EMV - the thieves will find a way to nab your card if they're determined to.

I know, I was using the term RFID in a more general sense. Most financial institutions don't use either technology and require you to actually insert the chip card into the unit. Most in the US have hesitated going to anything but a physical connection with the card whether it be the  magnetic strip or the EMV. If it is implemented fully it is honestly quite hard to pull anything off of the chip about the most they can do is fake the transaction amount and make it think the transaction is more than it is. The biggest issues currently is that as long as you have the card number and zip code you can pretty much order anything on the Internet.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the things that I was told from a gas station owner is that the stores have to pay more for supporting a CC with a chip to charge it. So where I'm at in the US, there are lots of pos systems that owners put a piece of plastic in the slot saying no chip, slide only. I really wish MST was a standard for cell phones though.  

On 10/23/2017 at 2:37 PM, AluminiumTech said:

I'm not a fan of Samsung Pay. But I agree, there shouldn't be like 5 different payment systems for Android.

onlything great about samsung pay is the fact That stores dont need to Support it or buy any extra terminals. it can use the same Dumb magnet credit card strip reader. as samsung phones all have a part inside them to mimic a real card being swiped. NFC has to be supported and is not that widespread.