YouTuber shocked he got sued for using a copyrighted image

https://www.diyphotography.net/internet-entrepreneur-shocked-copyright-owner-sued-stealing-work/

Something fun for you photographers out there to read. Apparently the guy thinks there are "malicious photographers" out there that put photos on the internet just to sue people, like somehow they're the same as patent trolls.

To put it into context, the reason I was sued was because I used a picture that I found on Google Images. Now, I should have known better, yes, in my position I should know better. But, again, I never really thought that there are malicious people out there that […] maliciously put pictures on the Internet.

[People] that copyright pictures that they take and what they do is they’ll get like a copyright on it, and they’ll put it out on the Internet, and it’s freely available on the Internet […] and they literally, some people specifically do this as a job.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://www.diyphotography.net/internet-entrepreneur-shocked-copyright-owner-sued-stealing-work/

Something fun for you photographers out there to read. Apparently the guy thinks there are "malicious photographers" out there that put photos on the internet just to sue people, like somehow they're the same as patent trolls.

Wow that is sad, isn't there some indicator on google images that says the photo might not be free to use? (Pretty sure I've seen that on bing at least) Where did he think google draws its photos from?

4 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Wow that is sad, isn't there some indicator on google images that says the photo might not be free to use? (Pretty sure I've seen that on bing at least) Where did he think google draws its photos from?

Why would Google have to take care of that? It's common sense to check that out yourself before you start using a copy righted image.

It's good the copyright owner won.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Why would Google have to take care of that? It's common sense to check that out yourself before you start using a copy righted image.

Clearly not common enough for this moron to have figured out ;)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Apparently he didn't read the Google Images warning about how images can be copyrighted.

Now that he is getting sued, it's pretty dumb from him how he said he understood that people do this..

Inb4 he claims fair use by the way.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, NumLock21 said:

What I meant was something like this:

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.a4954361ce0c09ffd2bd5009322344dc.png

I decided to (start) watching his youtube response video....

https://youtu.be/UBNGY2ZgMro

"For anyone who has a ___ shop, you should be aware of the legalities................"

WAIT, WHAT!!!! You mean that I should speak to a lawyer or someone before going into business? Who the fuck would have guessed that. You, sir, must be a genius. 

"I still do it, this didn't deter me from stealing images"....This one really must have more than a few screws loose. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Hide contents

Found my answer:

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.bc08af7445b1d1244de97f065fe0a089.png

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Reveal hidden contents

That shows nothing, it just tells you where that picture is originally from and not who it rightfully belongs to. Always assume the images you want to use are copyrighted and ask permission from the original owner.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

11 minutes ago, tjcater said:

No it’s called don’t use images from google if your going to make money from a video, you should know it’s illegal to use images YOU DO NOT OWN 

thats why websites exist that cost a Monty payment to use the images on it.

there doesn’t need to be an idacter you should do all the research you can before doing any business venture, even just to giving credit to the photo owner can make it okay if they allow it 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

Just now, NumLock21 said:

That shows nothing, it just tells you where that picture is originally from and not who it rightfully belongs to. Always assume the images you want to use are copyrighted and ask permission from the original owner.

My point was there was a warning right below it showing that the photo could be subject to copyright, so he should have stayed on the safe side and used common sense. I agree about always assuming its copyrighted though, just the guy in the article didn't even bother to use common sense.

Just now, Clockwork_princess said:

No it’s called don’t use images from google if your going to make money from a video, you should know it’s illegal to use images YOU DO NOT OWN 

thats why websites exist that cost a Monty payment to use the images on it.

there doesn’t need to be an idacter you should do all the research you can before doing any business venture, even just to giving credit to the photo owner can make it okay if they allow it 

I wasn't sad about the legality of using photos from google but sad that the guy thought people were being malicious.

Just now, tjcater said:

I wasn't sad about the legality of using photos from google but sad that the guy thought people were being malicious.

Well you can’t fix stupid can you. Just proves you shouldn’t do something if you don’t know a lot about it.

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

10 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Wow that is sad, isn't there some indicator on google images that says the photo might not be free to use?

nowadays it is the other way around (and has been for quite some time) 

if if you see something picture or other content on the internet and it is not explicitly stated that this content is "free to use" you have to assume some asshole lawyer will come after you if you use said content carelessly. 

Hard to believe it... this guy is such a joke... Well if you gain money with someone else's work.... what else to expect.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, tjcater said:

My point was there was a warning right below it showing that the photo could be subject to copyright, so he should have stayed on the safe side and used common sense. I agree about always assuming its copyrighted though, just the guy in the article didn't even bother to use common sense.

Dude is a idiot and think just because he has a YouTube channel means he's above the law.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Common sense still should be to assume every image on the internet is copyrighted.

"common sense" and "internet" used in the same sentence ? one can dream, right?

we live in a world of smart phones and dumb people - common sense isn't very common any more

it's a good thing the jury had common sense too. If they picked ones with minds like him, the owner would have lost and counter sued.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Even in this forum are many people even so called "professional photographer" who don't care about copyright.

14 minutes ago, .spider. said:

Even in this forum are many people even so called "professional photographer" who don't care about copyright.

Of course not everyone cares, but you have to assume they do until you can verify that they don't.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

The moron who is the subject of the OP’s linked article violated copyright by taking someone else’s work and using it for profit.  If he took the photo and used it to say for example in a discussion that the photo he found on the internet is an example of a good or bad photo then this is fair use and he wouldn’t be in violation of copyright.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

26 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The moron who is the subject of the OP’s linked article violated copyright by taking someone else’s work and using it for profit.  If he took the photo and used it to say for example in a discussion that the photo he found on the internet is an example of a good or bad photo then this is fair use and he wouldn’t be in violation of copyright.

Fair use doesn't even apply worldwide