Tips for recording B-Roll on a tripod?

skiilaa

I have a Canon EOS 5D Mark ii, and I'm wondering if anyone has tips for recording B-Rolls with a tripod. It has a handle, but the "rubber band method" I've seen at a couple of places didn't work.

Do you have a fluid head for the tripod?

3 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Do you have a fluid head for the tripod?

I’m not sure.

I’ve attached a photo.

I can also borrow a Manfrotto tripod and maybe buy one later on.

77101263-7357-47FE-85B6-F2DB637F5870.jpeg

Oh yeah, it would never work with that. A fluid head would give you the smooth motion necessary for the rubber band to work. Borrow the Manfrotto for sure.

2 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Oh yeah, it would never work with that. A fluid head would give you the smooth motion necessary for the rubber band to work. Borrow the Manfrotto for sure.

Here’s the Manfrotto.

This doesn’t have a handle, so I (think) I can’t use that method? Any other tricks, or should I just rotate it with my hand?

image.jpg

The lack of handle is limiting, but I've picked up a few tricks just from watching a bunch of videos on youtube from searching "tripod tricks."

Ok. So the first thing you should do is not move your tripod while filming in any way.

Don't pan, don't tilt, don't do anything.

Let whatever is happening in your b-roll happen without moving the camera. It will look better.

You don't need nice movement to make a good shot. Panning and tilting are the least professional movements you can make. If you are going to do any movement, use a slider or a glide or something. 

27 minutes ago, skiilaa said:

but the "rubber band method" I've seen at a couple of places didn't work.

whats a "rubber band method" ?

12 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

whats a "rubber band method" ?

where you put a rubber band on the handle of the tripod, and pull on it so it rotates more smoothly

Your best bet would be to pick up a fairly cheap Manfrotto fluid head and stick it on those Manfrotto legs. I have a 701HDV head (although since been updated and replaced) it's fairly cheap and will work for you as your current video head isn't a fluid head. OR, you could just get a 4K camera and do the movement after although a little pricier :P

Freelance Photographer & Videographer// VR Enthusiast // Purple Reign  - 7700K @5Ghz, Asus Strix 1080Ti, Asus Strix 1070, Corsair Dominator Platinum LE (chrome) 32GB RAM, Corsair 450D, Corsair H115i AIO, Corsair AX860i, Corsair Maglev fans, Samsung 850 500GB SSD, Corsair Metallic Graphite cables, MNPCtech Aluminium cable combs.  

Try to leave you camera still and play with lighting using a flashlight instead. Brandon does that all the time on his b-rolls. Also sound is just as important!