Is this a pay to win mechanic?

Skanky Sylveon

I purchased some pop tarts for my brother the other day, and saw this on the box. 

DSC_0200.thumb.JPG.1a084df42bb069ee5d6e7428c7b960e3.JPG

While partnered junk food deals, where the purchaser gets some kind of in game bonus is nothing new, this package reminds me of pay to win mobile games.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this kind of stuff are?

I personally like it better than pre-order bonuses.

Well,  in that case it's just XP. It's not like it's giving some exclusive in game item that is not available other than that box. I don't play video games anymore, but like in titanfall there was a mountain dew code that gave you a cool in game execution on players. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

No, it's pay to get a small boost that doesn't compensate skill and, at best, only puts you a week ahead of everyone else.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

If any thing all more reason not to get destiny 2....

Lets be honest this game has been over-merchandised already...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

35 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Pretty stupid reason to not buy a game.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

If it is something like worth 10mins of gameplay, I really think its more of a publicity stunt. If it is like an hour, than its ridiculous.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

I’m inclined to say that it is.

Even though it’s not actually a microtransaction in the game itself, it’s still sort of having the same effect where you would pay money to get something in the game, despite it being included with another product. So in that sense, I’d class it as a microtransaction in my eyes.

However depending on how big the boost is would be something in itself. If it’s only 1.5x xp for 30 mins or maybe half a level of xp or something similar I wouldn’t be too bothered. If it was huge instant level up jumps though I’d be concerned.

If anything, it’s giving an incentive for people to buy junk food to get ahead in a game, which I find a little ironic. I do like this method though instead of just straight up microtransactions in the game itself.

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

15 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's pay to get a small boost that doesn't compensate skill and, at best, only puts you a week ahead of everyone else.

So, pay to skip?  :P

14 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I might get it, when it goes on sale.  It looks fun.

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Pretty stupid reason to not buy a game.

If @Princess Cadence doesn't want to buy the game, because she doesn't agree with the way they are monetizing it, she has every right to do so.

Admittedly, I don't find this XP boost crap to be a big deal, but some might, and I don't find it stupid for anyone to protest with their wallet.  For any reason.

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

If it is something like worth 10mins of gameplay, I really think its more of a publicity stunt. If it is like an hour, than its ridiculous.

I have no Idea, my only real concern is someone buying 20 boxes of pop tarts, and having a massive advantage on day 1.

5 hours ago, UponAvalanche said:

I’m inclined to say that it is.

Even though it’s not actually a microtransaction in the game itself, it’s still sort of having the same effect where you would pay money to get something in the game, despite it being included with another product. So in that sense, I’d class it as a microtransaction in my eyes.

My question is, how many people bought pop tarts just for the XP bonus?

I would hesitate to classify this as a microtransaction, just because you are buying physical goods.

However depending on how big the boost is would be something in itself. If it’s only 1.5x xp for 30 mins or maybe half a level of xp or something similar I wouldn’t be too bothered. If it was huge instant level up jumps though I’d be concerned.

I honestly wouldn't be too concerned with ether (although the former is much better).  This would only effect the beginning of the game's life.

Personally, I like the 1.5x xp for 30 mins the best.

If anything, it’s giving an incentive for people to buy junk food to get ahead in a game, which I find a little ironic. I do like this method though instead of just straight up microtransactions in the game itself.

Agreed, this is more you buying goods with a bonus attached, rather than you straight up buying the bonus.

1 minute ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Essentially. But seeing as it IS Destiny 2, wait a year, and they'll jump you up to lvl 25 for free.

2 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

If @Princess Cadence doesn't want to buy the game, because she doesn't agree with the way they are monetizing it, she has every right to do so.

Admittedly, I don't find this XP boost crap to be a big deal, but some might, and I don't find it stupid for anyone to protest with their wallet.  For any reason.

I'm not saying she can't, I'm saying it's a fucking stupid reason to not buy a game.

Pushing out a game whose entire storyline can be completed in a few hours is a good reason. Refusing to buy a game for hiding half of its progression behind a lootbox system with payout so low that you can blow $100 and still not get anywhere is a good reason.

But not buying a game because it has a merchandising deal, and an XP boost in a game that is LARGELY non PvP is pretty fucking stupid. It's like refusing to buy an iPhone because it appeared in an episode of Big Bang Theory and Apple offered a $10 iTunes gift card with a limited time code.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Pushing out a game whose entire storyline can be completed in a few hours is a good reason. Refusing to buy a game for hiding half of its progression behind a lootbox system with payout so low that you can blow $100 and still not get anywhere is a good reason.

Those are definitely bigger issues.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

But not buying a game because it has a merchandising deal, and an XP boost in a game that is LARGELY non PvP is pretty fucking stupid. It's like refusing to buy an iPhone because it appeared in an episode of Big Bang Theory and Apple offered a $10 iTunes gift card with a limited time code.

I am sure that people have done that, and while I find it silly, I wouldn't call it outright stupid.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm not saying she can't, I'm saying it's a fucking stupid reason to not buy a game.

Not necessarily, I personally wouldn't buy any game that has a partnership with Monsanto.  As I find that particular company highly unethical, and I would protest out of sheer disgust.

I have considered boycotting Nintendo because of how they handle let's players.

Both of these reasons may seem stupid to some.

What I am trying to say is Princess Cadence's reasons may seem stupid to you, and probably to many others.  But I personally don't find the refusal to buy a product, due to personal beliefs stupid for any reason.

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I wouldn't call it outright stupid.

Obviously, I would.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Obviously, I would.

That's perfectly fine, I never told you to think differently.

xp boot stuff like that has been around forever, mnt dew and doritos did it every call of duty release 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

19 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

xp boot stuff like that has been around forever, mnt dew and doritos did it every call of duty release 

I am very much aware.

d07.png

That doesn't really answer my question though.  :P

1 hour ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I am very much aware.

That doesn't really answer my question though.  :P

its not pay to win, if anything its pay to boost.

at some point or another in those games eveyone can get that level and unlock all the weapons/itmes.

i say pay to win is when you have itmes you can only get via cash like a gun thats stronger or an item that give you a buff that you cant even grind out the game to unlock.

the xp boot just makes less grinding.

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

its not pay to win, if anything its pay to boost.

at some point or another in those games eveyone can get that level and unlock all the weapons/itmes.

i say pay to win is when you have itmes you can only get via cash like a gun thats stronger or an item that give you a buff that you cant even grind out the game to unlock.

the xp boot just makes less grinding.

So, what I said before?

2 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

So, what I said before?

Nope, and I didn’t read the whole thread, I can careless about others reply’s on this topic.

pay to skip would mean you do no work, you’d put in the code and be up a level, this just lets you get bonus XP for a certain amount of time.

you still have to play 

it it gives you a 25% XP boot for 4 hours 

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Nope, and I didn’t read the whole thread, I can careless about others reply’s on this topic.

So, you don't care about others opinions?  I like to here others, even if I don't agree with them.

19 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

pay to skip would mean you do no work, you’d put in the code and be up a level, this just lets you get bonus XP for a certain amount of time.

you still have to play 

it it gives you a 25% XP boot for 4 hours 

You are doing less work, you are skipping part of the grind.

Whatever you want to call it, you do agree that it is pay for an advantage?  Even if said advantage is small?

19 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

So, you don't care about others opinions?  I like to here others, even if I don't agree with them.

You are doing less work, you are skipping part of the grind.

Whatever you want to call it, you do agree that it is pay for an advantage?  Even if said advantage is small?

Well I know how it works so their either wrong or right and I know how it works 

I guess it can be considered a small advantage but I’ve never used an bonus XP and hd more fun gridning so to me it’s not an advantage

im guessing their hoping parents buy it for kids 

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

Well I know how it works so their either wrong or right and I know how it works 

No, not the mechanics of the game.  Their opinion on these type of partnerships.

6 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

I guess it can be considered a small advantage but I’ve never used an bonus XP and hd more fun gridning so to me it’s not an advantage

im guessing their hoping parents buy it for kids 

I see, I suppose in a non PVP setting, it would depend on player preference.  

Destiny 2 doesn't have a large PVP presence, correct?  Would you consider this a potential issue in a more PVP focused game?

16 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It is not the reason I'm not getting the game, that would be simply that it did not interest me, the over-merchandising did not help but I did not specifically refuse the game because of it.

Regardless people can have the reasoning they want, it is not nice being offensive over it simply because you disagree with it, this is a very polite forum for the most part and myself have never done any thing to you, so going easier on all the cursing would be widely appreciated.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

i dont believe it is and i will explain why. its a 25% boost on XP that lasts 4 hours. Assuming you play consistently across those 4 hours you are essentially looking at 15 minutes worth of XP for free. 15*4=60. At most you are getting an hour of free XP. if you play for a few days and you have one poor day after getting this than your "boost" is practically null and void. You still have to do well to gain a real boost from the bonus XP.

TLDR: Nah cause the bonus XP is within the margin of error of having a bad day of playing

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb