A suggestion on dealing with Tech News and Reviews issues

AlTech
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,
On 02/11/2017 at 9:42 AM, AluminiumTech said:

@colonel_mortis So has this been accepted or declined?

It's not something that we are planning to implement at this time. On the surface it solves problems but it creates a whole load more (lots more moderator time required, how do you draw the line on what is OK and what's not, what if multiple people submit good articles (especially around big launches), etc). They aren't insurmountable problems on their own, but taken together it's not practical to implement at the moment.

This is something I've spent some time thinking about and I can honestly say that I can see both sides of the arguments of this suggestion.

Problem: Recently quite a few posts  have been published which aren't in compliance with Tech News and Reviews Guidelines AND we end up having quite a few reposts for tech news topics.

Solution: Require Tech News posts to be manually approved by Moderators or Administrators so that they definitely are compliant with the guidelines as well as ensuring they follow the CS and that there aren't 2 or more threads of the same topic.

This solution is not entirely without flaws: It requires moderators dedicate more of their time on filtering through content rather than responding to reports. I can imagine a stream of  reports would be easier to deal with and/or take less time.

Apart from taking more time though, I don't see too many downsides to using this solution. In addition I'd recommend requiring a minimum content count of 20 before allowing a user to create a tech news post.

I look forward to seeing your responses.

Thanks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

One issue I do see is it could potentially delay the posting of news by quite a bit during busy times

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

how about anyone with above, say, 5k posts can aprove them if they have read through some document explaining the entire thing? might be a pain to implement but its better then this id say

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

One issue I do see is it could potentially delay the posting of news by quite a bit during busy times

Not to mention that it's incredibly annoying having to have a post verified, and has always been a turn off of many forums. 

Frankly, I don't see "bad" topics as such a big issue. They get reported and locked/moved if they're not fixed. What's the big deal? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Unless LTT decides to add Tech News (Only) Moderators or something like that, I don't think that this would be a good idea, as it would delay the posting of news by a lot. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I thought of that as well but I wasn't sure how much of an issue that would be.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

how about anyone with above, say, 5k posts can aprove them if they have read through some document explaining the entire thing? might be a pain to implement but its better then this id say

Because approving them through IPS's system requires basically permissions a Mod normally has and you can bet the mod team ain't handing out Mod access to everyone anytime soon :P.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I thought of that as well but I wasn't sure how much of an issue that would be.

Because approving them through IPS's system requires basically permissions a Mod normally has and you can bet the mod team ain't handing out Mod access to everyone anytime soon :P.

well im not too familiar with how the backend works here but just checking if posts are OK before they are posted dosent seem like anything you need mod privlage for to me, and at least not all of them

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's an interesting idea, and frankly if we were to do this, I would recommend throwing the same restriction on the Classifieds section

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would say keep it as is. Users can report the post and give reasons for why it doesn't fit the guidelines.

Some are well written aside from forgetting to use quote boxes. A moderator can go in and add the quote boxes, IIRC, which, while cumbersome, is better than just closing an active thread that would otherwise fit the guidelines. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Is there any way to make Tech News only mods or something?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

Is there any way to make Tech News only mods or something?

Yes, but that would sort of defeat the purpose wouldn't it :P

I think above 5k posts as mentioned is not bad, but it could be mod approval and once you've had a couple of posts mod approved you have permission to just post strait to it. Maybe even a badge to en courage well edited stuff over first stuff. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Good idea but I would think a template system may be an easier solution since an approval process could lead to multiple users posting the same news topic and cause confusion when users think that they posted first or someone beat them to it. 

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Good idea but I would think a template system may be an easier solution since an approval process could lead to multiple users posting the same news topic and cause confusion when users think that they posted first or someone beat them to it. 

Is it possible for there to be a template that automatically appears in the posting box (that users would just fill out)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Is it possible for there to be a template that automatically appears in the posting box (that users would just fill out)?

We have a template in the Classifieds section but it doesn't seem to help.  Those who want to follow the procedure will find a way, and those who don't will not bother, regardless of how much easier you try to make it.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

That would be a technical question for Colonel Mortis as I'm not too familiar with the programming for the forums myself. Only problem that may still occur is people just ignoring it or putting something unrelated to satisfy the field. 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

We have a template in the Classifieds section but it doesn't seem to help.  Those who want to follow the procedure will find a way, and those who don't will not bother, regardless of how much easier you try to make it.

I meant a template that exists in the submission box, not somewhere in a pinned thread. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

That would be a technical question for Colonel Mortis as I'm not too familiar with the programming for the forums myself. Only problem that may still occur is people just ignoring it or putting something unrelated to satisfy the field. 

Sure, but I think a lot of the times, people just don't know better. So while it surely wouldn't solve every issue, it should help. Although, I still believe that it's really not a problem worth worrying about. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I meant a template that exists in the submission box, not somewhere in a pinned thread. 

Sure, but I think a lot of the times, people just don't know better. So while it surely wouldn't solve every issue, it should help. Although, I still believe that it's really not a problem worth worrying about. 

Yes it would be more of a method of informing users of the requirements directly, not a completely full proof method to prevent it. 

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That might work but I'm not sure if we even have the ability to do that

• 2 weeks later...

I also think that maybe putting a content count restriction of say 2k posts would be interesting because the majority of tech news threads that does not follow the specified format are from low count users that still didn't bother reading any kind of forum rules.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 02/11/2017 at 9:42 AM, AluminiumTech said:

It's not something that we are planning to implement at this time. On the surface it solves problems but it creates a whole load more (lots more moderator time required, how do you draw the line on what is OK and what's not, what if multiple people submit good articles (especially around big launches), etc). They aren't insurmountable problems on their own, but taken together it's not practical to implement at the moment.

HTTP/2 203