Xbox 360 Emulating Questions

Scorps
1 hour ago, Scorps said:

Sorry for the late response but it seems as though I hit my first wall. I have tried to burn the ISO of the xbox 360 disc using macrium but it failed (said that the hard drive needed to be formatted). Any tips? 

I don't have any answers for you, but maybe quote the people who suggested the idea (or tag them) so they can see your response.

thread is pretty much dead at this point unless you tag/quote people.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 hours ago, Scorps said:

Sorry for the late response but it seems as though I hit my first wall. I have tried to burn the ISO of the xbox 360 disc using macrium but it failed (said that the hard drive needed to be formatted). Any tips? 

You need to make an image of the disc using Macrium. I'll post pics when I get home.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 hours ago, MadOverclocker said:

Nope. Emulating is completely legal. Same story: A virtual machine EMULATES a PC. You need a copy of Windows. You choose whether pirate it or buy a copy of windows or use your disc! So that means Virtual Machines are illegal too? 

You said it yourself: You need a copy of Windows.

So to emulate Xbox 360 OS, you need a copy of it. Which cannot be redistributed, as it is protected by copyright.

If you extract it from the console yourself it might be legal (I'd guess it falls into a grey area in most places), but you'd still have to modify it to get it running.

Even modding is only legal because it doesn't modify source code and redistribute it, it simply calls existing code in the game.

Anyways I'm not sure if this is exactly on-topic.

OP, you yourself aren't doing anything illegal. Whatever emulator you're using though, was probably not made legally.

I wouldn't say you're hurting developers or anything though, since you paid for the games. It would only "affect" Microsoft engineers who made the APIs used by the game.

So it's really up to you. If you want a simple and guaranteed legal way, you might as well get an actual Xbox. But otherwise, nothing bad is really gonna happen if you emulate.

3 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

So to emulate Xbox 360 OS, you need a copy of it. Which cannot be redistributed, as it is protected by copyright.

If you extract it from the console yourself it might be legal (I'd guess it falls into a grey area in most places), but you'd still have to modify it to get it running.

Even modding is only legal because it doesn't modify source code and redistribute it, it simply calls existing code in the game.

OP, you yourself aren't doing anything illegal. Whatever emulator you're using though, was probably not made legally.

I wouldn't say you're hurting developers or anything though, since you paid for the games. It would only "affect" Microsoft engineers who made the APIs used by the game.

So it's really up to you. If you want a simple and guaranteed legal way, you might as well get an actual Xbox. But otherwise, nothing bad is really gonna happen if you emulate.

Assuming OP lives in the United States, there is a legality positive on his side in that it is legal to make a copy of a disc (and technically that means dumping the BIOS or even OS of a console), so long as any copy-protection that is illegal to break does not interfere.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

You need to make an image of the disc using Macrium. I'll post pics when I get home.

I will see what I could do on macrium, but it seems as though I have to "format" something. Will try again but thank you! 

P.S: will be awaiting pics

1 hour ago, Scorps said:

I will see what I could do on macrium, but it seems as though I have to "format" something. Will try again but thank you! 

P.S: will be awaiting pics

I've tried all of my imaging softwares (Reflect, DVD Decrypter), a Blu-ray, DVD, and CD drives (one of each, I've got them all lying around) and none of them seem to want to read 360 discs (they all lead to I/O errors). I tried Halo: ODST, RE5, Metro 2033, and Battlefield: BC. Same I/O error code occurs for each of them.

Edit: I'm going to throw the towel after 2 hours. I'm trying to install the game to the 360 HDD and seeing if I can connect that to the PC to get a copy of it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

3 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

How far along is x360 emulation anyway? Is it more in an experimental state or are some of the major games (Halo games, Gears of War,..) already playable?

It's still quite experimental from what I remember.

8 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

you dont need a copy of the xbox 360 OS and even if you did there are freeware hacked dashboards you can use that RHG modders have been using to run unsigned code on the console
it all depends on how the xbox 360 emulator works which to my knowledge doesnt require a dashboard from microsoft, also dumping your own dashboard would also be legal so there is that aspect of it

EDIT also thats stupid to say just buy the console, what if i want to play zelda windwaker at 4k 60fps? the nintendo game cube doesnt support that, my only option is to emulate the game if i want to play it like that

stop saying emulation is illegal cause it isnt and saying it is shows how uneducated you are on this topic

52 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

you dont need a copy of the xbox 360 OS and even if you did there are freeware hacked dashboards you can use that RHG modders have been using to run unsigned code on the console
it all depends on how the xbox 360 emulator works which to my knowledge doesnt require a dashboard from microsoft, also dumping your own dashboard would also be legal so there is that aspect of it

EDIT also thats stupid to say just buy the console, what if i want to play zelda windwaker at 4k 60fps? the nintendo game cube doesnt support that, my only option is to emulate the game if i want to play it like that

stop saying emulation is illegal cause it isnt and saying it is shows how uneducated you are on this topic

2. License

(a) The Xbox Software is licensed to You, not sold. You are licensed to use the Xbox Software only as pre-installed in Your Xbox Console or Authorized Accessory, and updated by Microsoft from time to time. You may not copy or reverse engineer the Xbox Software.

https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-one/console/software-license-terms

7 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

2. License

(a) The Xbox Software is licensed to You, not sold. You are licensed to use the Xbox Software only as pre-installed in Your Xbox Console or Authorized Accessory, and updated by Microsoft from time to time. You may not copy or reverse engineer the Xbox Software.

Unfortunately (read as fortunately), EULAs aren't usually backed by courts and case studies. The user has all of the rights even past the point of the EULA as a part of consumer protection, otherwise we would only be able to run programs that are designed or authorized by the license creators. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

2. License

the law has protected reverse engineering of software, the most notable one was the playstation emulator that was being sold back in the late 90s that won several law suits from sony in regards to that matter, eventually sony just bought them out because they were eating into sony's playstation sales and sony couldnt beat them in the legal system

also you posted the xbox one EULA, not the xbox 360's eula which is the console in question, if dumping your dashboard was even a legal issue microsoft has yet to take to court the developers of the tools in which they make it possible to not only dump but to flash 3rd party dashboards to the xbox 360

just remember EULAs dont over ride the law and as long as you are not breaking the law, you wont get in trouble

On 10/21/2017 at 7:00 PM, Scorps said:

I am just curious on how to emulate xbox 360 games properly and legally. I have downloaded xenia, but it said that you needed the ISO (idk what that is) of the game for it to be able to play (also don't know the legality of it). Please help THX!

There's no clear cut legal way of doing this in the US, as copying games hasn't been brought up in a court case since the Atari one which ruled that copying games, even for personal reasons, is illegal. Now if it can read the game disk directly, that's a different story.

EDIT: I was almost certain there was a court case against cartridge backup devices related to Atari, but eh, my Google Fu is failing me now.

Edited by M.Yurizaki

4 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There's no clear cut legal way of doing this in the US, as copying games hasn't been brought up in a court case since the Atari one which ruled that copying games, even for personal reasons, is illegal. Now if it can read the game disk directly, that's a different story.

EDIT: I was almost certain there was a court case against cartridge backup devices related to Atari, but eh, my Google Fu is failing me now.

I'd be willing to bet you're thinking of something related to Nintendo.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd be willing to bet you're thinking of something related to Nintendo.

Probably.

I do recall it was during the cartridge days and the courts decided for the video game company in question because unlike vinyl (which degrades every time you use it) and cassettes (which can have varying levels of quality), cartridges last longer and so there was no dire need to copy them for personal back ups.

However, I've seen that people have used the Betamax case where the court ruled you can make copies (of broadcasted TV). But I don't think they understand the context of that decision. The thing that let Betamax win that case was an argument of time shifting (i.e., you just watch whatever was recorded later). Plus video tape and broadcast quality can vary and become of questionable quality.

But I think the whole thing that renders the argument moot (and I should probably forget there was ever a court case) is Steam. I can make backup copies of anything I downloaded from it. Though there may be some legalese saying it's okay to do that.

Ultimately though the way I see it is having a digital copy of something is only legal if you obtain it from a legitimate source if you didn't make the copy yourself (from a legitimate source, of course). So it's illegal to torrent Breath of the Wild from the internet even if you already own the game because you didn't get it from an official source. But it's totally fine if you dump the disk yourself, somehow.

I'll throw something from myself.

After years of gaming on a pc and dabbling with vaiours emulators i have came to a conclusion.

They are all worth shit, maybe with the exception of sega/nes emulator.

None of them work flawlessly. There's always something goin on, hardware or software wise.

The required hardware to push the fidelity is in some cases out of reach for people. And even if you reach the specs, then bugs, glitches and crashes come in place.

It's better to just buy an og system and play your game of choice. Trust me, i've been through all of that shit.

13 minutes ago, centurion_08 said:

I'll throw something from myself.

After years of gaming on a pc and dabbling with vaiours emulators i have came to a conclusion.

They are all worth shit, maybe with the exception of sega/nes emulator.

None of them work flawlessly. There's always something goin on, hardware or software wise.

The required hardware to push the fidelity is in some cases out of reach for people. And even if you reach the specs, then bugs, glitches and crashes come in place.

It's better to just buy an og system and play your game of choice. Trust me, i've been through all of that shit.

I would almost consider VisualBoyAdvance perfect, if it didn't have that many sound issues.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So it has problems. There's no need for sugar coating. They're all garbage. And yes, the whole idea and concept of emulating a whole different system on a pc is noble, fascinating and exciting.

But in reality it will never be 100% water tight. Yes, some of them have 90% compatibility but are still riddled with bugs.

(Not aimed to anyone:)

Good luck waiting for that Red Dead Redemption on rspc3 for example.

There's much more to say about the whole matter, but in my opinion the emulating scene is a novelty rather than a fully fledged feature of a desktop pc's.

PS: Who plays a nes game on a behemoth of a pc. You know what i mean.

You can play that stuff on a android phone.