NewEgg Accused of Ponzi Scheme Involvement

Lurick

Four South Korean banks filed a lawsuit against Newegg, Inc. on Friday alleging that the City of Industry company, which operates the computer parts and accessories retailer Newegg.com, conspired with a South Korean hardware manufacturer to defraud the banks of hundreds of millions of dollars.

Newegg is being accused of getting kickbacks for creating fake orders from a home-theater PC company, Moneual, and helping to defraud several South Korean banks of hundreds of millions of dollars. Newegg and ASI Corp. are said to have created the orders for Moneual who then took the orders to the banks and used them to secure over 3 billion dollars in financing. Now that Moneual's CEO has been sentenced to prison and fined, the banks are going after Newegg and ASI Corp.

The banks allege that they lent Moneual hundreds of millions of dollars because the manufacturer had shown that Newegg and ASI had made sizable orders. Both Newegg and ASI were in on the scheme, the banks say, because Moneual priced the computers that were supposedly ordered at 300 times their actual market value.

“No such business would have bought the products at such an inflated price, unless it intended to create the illusion of extensive, profitable, high-value commerce between it and its supplier for the purpose of defrauding lenders into supporting the transactions,” the complaint said.

I hope that this doesn't prove to be true in the end but right now things aren't looking good.

Link:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-newegg-lawsuit-20171020-story.html

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If this is true, then :o

It boggles my mind however how banks are blaming someone else for their lending billions of dollars to a company that they obviously didn't do their due diligence background checks on... that's what it sounds like to me.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

flat,800x800,075,t.u2.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

It boggles my mind however how banks are blaming someone else for their lending billions of dollars to a company that they obviously didn't do their due diligence background checks on... that's what it sounds like to me.

I don't think you can really blame the bank here, it's very likely they simply got a $100,000 overall sales total figure (just an example btw, I have no idea of the actual numbers) and were asked to lend based on that number.

I highly doubt the bank were ever told how many units the total covered and in fairness to the bank, if someone comes to you and tells you NewEgg are buying $100,000 worth of stock then you ask for proof of the transaction and don't really question anything else, I mean, it's NewEgg. They're not exactly risky borrowers.

I'll be very interested to hear NewEggs response to this one.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Hope nothing comes of it.

I really don't want Amazon to be the only place to get PC components. Their filters are utter garbage and finding certain things can be a real pain in the ass.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Based on events in recent memory I have no reason to trust the south korean government, especially where tech is concerned, the country can be considered to literally be controlled by samsung after all.

Now could it be true, surely yes but I'm skeptical of banks and generally will assume they're lying first unless compelling evidence comes to light.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

20 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Jumping on Newegg for the full sum when all they got was a tiny fraction seems unreasonable no? 

Banks are entirely unreasonable, hence why I don't trust them and assume they are trying to screw me at all times.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't think you can really blame the bank here, it's very likely they simply got a $100,000 overall sales total figure (just an example btw, I have no idea of the actual numbers) and were asked to lend based on that number.

I highly doubt the bank were ever told how many units the total covered and in fairness to the bank, if someone comes to you and tells you NewEgg are buying $100,000 worth of stock then you ask for proof of the transaction and don't really question anything else, I mean, it's NewEgg. They're not exactly risky borrowers.

I'll be very interested to hear NewEggs response to this one.

I'm not well read on these thing, this is just MY take on it from what I could gleam from the information. I may be wrong, but IMO it's always the lenders fault if they didn't adequately check that the borrower could fulfill their contract. To start throwing blame onto others that might have done business with them is ridiculous, as far as I could see newegg didn't actually do business with them. And if they submitted tenders to MAYBE trade with them, maybe they were fooled too? but AFAIK submitting tenders to do business is not the same as having a contract. I could be wrong.. most likely am.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Yikes. I am fairly glad I always avoid their "Asia direct" or whatever items. It's a common trap on Amazon too: Uncommon item, fairly competitive price, Vendor with no ranking shipping from China. That's about the fastest way to convince me not to buy.

-------

Current Rig

-------

25 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I'm not well read on these thing, this is just MY take on it from what I could gleam from the information. I may be wrong, but IMO it's always the lenders fault if they didn't adequately check that the borrower could fulfill their contract. To start throwing blame onto others that might have done business with them is ridiculous, as far as I could see newegg didn't actually do business with them. And if they submitted tenders to MAYBE trade with them, maybe they were fooled too? but AFAIK submitting tenders to do business is not the same as having a contract. I could be wrong.. most likely am.

Remember this isn't about not fulfilling an obligation, this is about boosting numbers to get larger payouts in order to steal money.

It seems as though NewEgg knowingly generated artificially high invoices for items so these other guys could use the high numbers to take out loans(?) with the sole intention of stealing the extra money from the banks.

It's like I said, if they turned up at the banks with genuine invoices/order receipts and asked to borrow then the banks have no real reason to question it, its a legitimate document issued by a very well know business.

Of course only time will tell us what actually happened but if it is proven that NewEgg did falsify documents in any way then it really is straight up fraud.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Remember this isn't about not fulfilling an obligation, this is about boosting numbers to get larger payouts in order to steal money.

It seems as though NewEgg knowingly generated artificially high invoices for items so these other guys could use the high numbers to take out loans(?) with the sole intention of stealing the extra money from the banks.

It's like I said, if they turned up at the banks with genuine invoices/order receipts and asked to borrow then the banks have no real reason to question it, its a legitimate document issued by a very well know business.

Of course only time will tell us what actually happened but if it is proven that NewEgg did falsify documents in any way then it really is straight up fraud.

Seems like 2 different things here to me. IF newegg did falsify documents, then yes of course it could be considered fraudulent behaviour maybe, but the definition of fraud

fraud

A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

A piece of trickery; a trick.

One that defrauds; a cheat.

I can't see where Newegg gained anything from this?  unless the allegation of a kickback is true?, which we don't know and may never know.

But the bank still has to take the blame for not checking things properly.. if I were in the business of lending money, I would for damn sure check someone's numbers on their paperwork to make sure they added up, in the sense of double checking with an independent entity or at least the company contact that they had this proposal from. If not. someone could say that he wants to buy a million toasters for 2 billion dollars, and fake an invoice somehow if all they do is look at the piece of paper with a big company's name on it. There must be checks in place to prevent this?  If I missed where they checked with newegg about this business proposal to buy/sell to that company, please enlighten me?

It stinks of passing the buck to me. But I don't know the full story, so can only guess as to the reason this was allowed to happen in the first place.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

That was my initial impression also.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

if someone comes to you and tells you NewEgg are buying $100,000 worth of stock

My understanding of the article is that the Korean company was claiming to be buying from Newegg, not the other way around.

After re-reading the summation, I may have mis-understood the allegation to begin with maybe?

Are they saying that Moneual was the "manufacturer" in this? and that they had orders FROM Newegg? The wording of the article and summation aren't very clear which party the banks are referring to when they say "manufacturer" for example... as Newegg isn't a manufacturer AFAIK?

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

4 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Seems like 2 different things here to me. IF newegg did falsify documents, then yes of course it could be considered fraudulent behaviour maybe, but the definition of fraud

I can't see where Newegg gained anything from this?  unless the allegation of a kickback is true?, which we don't know and may never know.

But the bank still has to take the blame for not checking things properly.. if I were in the business of lending money, I would for damn sure check someone's numbers on their paperwork to make sure they added up, in the sense of double checking with an independent entity or at least the company contact that they had this proposal from. If not. someone could say that he wants to buy a million toasters for 2 billion dollars, and fake an invoice somehow if all they do is look at the piece of paper with a big company's name on it. There must be checks in place to prevent this?  If I missed where they checked with newegg about this business proposal to buy/sell to that company, please enlighten me?

It stinks of passing the buck to me. But I don't know the full story, so can only guess as to the reason this was allowed to happen in the first place.

Yeah, I can see your point for sure. Like I said, I'm guessing it comes down to a lack of info. Like they just told the bank NewEgg had confirmed $xxxxxxx amount of orders from them but didn't tell them exactly how many were ordered. In that case the bank wouldn't be able to check the numbers properly however then yoûr point is probably still valid. Why did the bank not ask how many units the order covered?

I'm honestly not sure if that's something they do or even need to do?

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I wonder what kind of 'orders' would be worth $3b in financing?

Also, Moneual's CEO acted as an agent of his company Moneual. The banks can still go after Moneual. Jumping on Newegg for the full sum when all they got was a tiny fraction seems unreasonable no? 

I feel like there has to be some transcription error and the values aren't that high. Either that for the Korean banks are freaking idiots. This looks like trying to find someone with some liability to shake down.

As a former manager who was involved in some Bank deals I can tell you that the banks I dealt with were never ever willing to deal on even much smaller loan without a whole lot more backing paperwork than the raw order numbers. The company I worked for was a small manufacturer of electronics and when there were loans in the works we had bank investigators all over the plant and engineering department making sure that what was documented in the paperwork shown actually matched what we were producing. Down to in the largest case I was involved in they brought in an outside engineering expert to confirm that the actual widget would work they way we said it would before loaning the money for the manufacturing upgrade needed.

I am very skeptical of a $3B loan on thin enough paperwork that the kind of scheme described could possibly work, unless the banks involved are completely incompetent.   

3 hours ago, AncientNerd said:

I am very skeptical of a $3B loan on thin enough paperwork that the kind of scheme described could possibly work, unless the banks involved are completely incompetent.

This ten times over... I cannot see a bank with the capabilities of giving out that large of a loan, without checking into all the details. Were are not getting the whole story, that is for sure. They are making this sound way to simple and one sided.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

I never liked NewEgg as a company, but this surprises me. If this is true, particularly the kickbacks, NewEgg deserves to have a very heavy penalty levied against it. Companies can't knowingly get away with such actions.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:23 AM, paddy-stone said:

How were they supposed to know that the orders were fraudulent? If the distributor is in on this, then it's very hard to prove that the demand actually isn't there.

On 10/21/2017 at 6:44 AM, huilun02 said:

I wonder what kind of 'orders' would be worth $3b in financing?

Also, Moneual's CEO acted as an agent of his company Moneual. The banks can still go after Moneual. Jumping on Newegg for the full sum when all they got was a tiny fraction seems unreasonable no? 

It was through 10 different banks. So $300 million per bank, presumably. Not really that hard to believe when you're manufacturing something on a large scale.

On 10/21/2017 at 9:59 AM, Jito463 said:

That was my initial impression also.

My understanding of the article is that the Korean company was claiming to be buying from Newegg, not the other way around.

No, it was NewEgg buying from the company.

3 hours ago, AncientNerd said:

As a former manager who was involved in some Bank deals I can tell you that the banks I dealt with were never ever willing to deal on even much smaller loan without a whole lot more backing paperwork than the raw order numbers. The company I worked for was a small manufacturer of electronics and when there were loans in the works we had bank investigators all over the plant and engineering department making sure that what was documented in the paperwork shown actually matched what we were producing. Down to in the largest case I was involved in they brought in an outside engineering expert to confirm that the actual widget would work they way we said it would before loaning the money for the manufacturing upgrade needed.

That's the thing though...how, in this case, would they prove it wasn't legitimate? They had POs. They had a product they were selling and manufacturing. It also wasn't a single loan, it was spread over 10 different banks.

17 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

This ten times over... I cannot see a bank with the capabilities of giving out that large of a loan, without checking into all the details. Were are not getting the whole story, that is for sure. They are making this sound way to simple and one sided.

It was 10 separate banks, not a single bank. You're not getting the whole story because you didn't read the article ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

31 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It was 10 separate banks, not a single bank. You're not getting the whole story because you didn't read the article ;)

So 10 separate banks failed to look into the numbers reported to them? They didn't verify anything? 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

So 10 separate banks failed to look into the numbers reported to them? They didn't verify anything? 

What makes you assume that?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

Because they approved the loans

Yes, but if they were looking at order numbers, then they'd have been given proof.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 10/21/2017 at 8:18 AM, Lurick said:

Both Newegg and ASI were in on the scheme, the banks say, because Moneual priced the computers that were supposedly ordered at 300 times their actual market value.

Not to excuse Newegg in the least if this is true, but any auditor/compliance officer/underwriter that didn't do enough research to know that something was very, very wrong with the numbers should be fired on the spot. This is the kind of thing that due diligence should root out immediately. We question figures that are off by much, much, much, much less than 300%.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.