kurtbarker
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

One option would be :

Exit game

Go to Steam folder for that Game  : steam > steamapps > common > flatout

rename the Savegame folder to something else

Launch game and you'll get the initial hardware configuration screen

Enter game and exit it

Copy player***.sav from old folder into the save game folder and overwrite it (to restore your player profile if you care about it ) .. may have to copy some am*** .dat file as well

Enter game.

Hey guys,

I bought flatout the other day and it's a really entertaining game, however I didn't pay attention the to setup screen that poped up during the initial loading and set the incorrect resolution. This is extremely annoying as everytime I load the game and exit it pushes my usable resolution to 1/8th of my screen due to the resolution the game was running in.

So what I would like to do is re-load the setting screen to change the resolution. However on googling it says to run flatout.exe -setup, now although that sounds simple I don't know how to load that. I'm running windows 10 and downloaded the game though steam.

Can anyone help with loading the original setup, it only loads the first time you load the game. I have uninstalled the game and deleted the obvious registry entries, but on reinstalling it just loads the game with the pre-defined resolution when I run it.

I will buy the complete series (Flatout 1, 2, 3, Ultimate Carnage) for the first person who actually provides me with a solution that I can implement. Please provide descriptive instructions if it is even remotely detailed. Please provide your steam ID so I can add you.

Thanks,

Kurt

One option would be :

Exit game

Enter game and exit it

Copy player***.sav from old folder into the save game folder and overwrite it (to restore your player profile if you care about it ) .. may have to copy some am*** .dat file as well

Enter game.

40 minutes ago, kurtbarker said:

it says to run flatout.exe -setup, now although that sounds simple I don't know how to load that.

I would assume you can do this with the command prompt. Open the folder that contains the executable, click the "file" menu and select "open command prompt". From there, type in flatout.exe -setup and it should work.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Normally, you can gain access to the setup menu again either by running the game either through the list when you click the steam icon in the system tray or by clicking the play button for the games listing in your steam library (doing this should give you a menu where you can select between going into setup or playing the game), but if that doesn't do anything then try right clicking the games name in the library list and see if you get a configure option in the menu.

16 hours ago, mariushm said:

One option would be :

Exit game

Enter game and exit it

Enter game.

Absolute legend. I thought this was a little complex just to load a settings menu, but it actually worked. Thanks for your help, PM sent.

16 hours ago, Sauron said:

I would assume you can do this with the command prompt. Open the folder that contains the executable, click the "file" menu and select "open command prompt". From there, type in flatout.exe -setup and it should work.

I thought this was a sure thing, but my file explorer didn't have a 'Open Command Prompt' option from the menus.

5 hours ago, demonix00 said:

Normally, you can gain access to the setup menu again either by running the game either through the list when you click the steam icon in the system tray or by clicking the play button for the games listing in your steam library (doing this should give you a menu where you can select between going into setup or playing the game), but if that doesn't do anything then try right clicking the games name in the library list and see if you get a configure option in the menu.

There doesn't seem to be an option within steam to load the settings/configuration. I was really surprised at how complicated it seems to get this working.

55 minutes ago, kurtbarker said:

I thought this was a sure thing, but my file explorer didn't have a 'Open Command Prompt' option from the menus.

You're welcome.

For future reference, you can go in the folder and  hold down Shift (or Ctrl+Shift) and right click on some white space somewhere outside the area where you have text (so you won't select a file or folder with the mouse).

Holding Shift or Ctrl+Shift will make a few more options show up in the right click menu, including one that says "Open command window here" (or something similar to that)

Should work (at least it works in Windows 7 which I use at this moment)

7 hours ago, kurtbarker said:

Does it show powershell? It does the same thing in this case.

Either way I see you've already solved your problem, so no need to check. Mark one of the answers as correct so the thread will show as answered :) 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*