The Mac mini isn’t dead yet, says Tim Cook.

AlTech
8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually, for a while they haven't.

A lot of NUCs use U series ULV CPUs.

I suspect Apple will refresh the Mac Mini with a 4 Core 8 Thread Coffee Lake i5 and i7 soon enough.

Personally I would like to see them put in a desktop APU if those initial reports of the performance of the mobile APUs is to be believed.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

10 hours ago, Sauron said:

Honestly I'd take a macbook motherboard in a mac mini chassis as an insult if I were a fan :dry: what's the point of buying a desktop if it contains tablet level hardware? Might as well grab one of those core M convertibles that cost roughly the same, at least those come with a screen and a battery.

For a non mac fan, mac itself is an insult. Chill.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 hours ago, minervx said:

Mac Mini (2018)

• i7-7700 HQ
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 256 GB M2 SSD
  • 50w total TDP
  • Ports: HDMI, USB-C x2
  • $899 ($999 for the 512 GB model)

hm... no, not even close

• i5 "8200u" or whatever this gen comes out with
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB NVMe SSD
  • 1 thunderbolt port
  • $1200 min

edit: PS, sorry if that sounded a bit rude/harsh, didn't mean it like that :P

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

hm... no, not even close

• 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB NVMe SSD
  • 1 thunderbolt port
  • $1200 min

edit: PS, sorry if that sounded a bit rude/harsh, didn't mean it like that :P

That makes the price hike of the i3-4170T Alienware Alpha seem reasonable.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

That makes the price hike of the i3-4170T Alienware Alpha seem reasonable.

I mean, do you disagree?  Personally, if they released that tomorrow I wouldn't even bat an eye

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I mean, do you disagree?  Personally, if they released that tomorrow I wouldn't even bat an eye

I don't. I'm saying that, at that price point with those specs, the new Mac Mini makes less sense than Dell raising the price to a machine that is a few years old at this point, that wasn't all that good to begin with.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I don't. I'm saying that, at that price point with those specs, the new Mac Mini makes less sense than Dell raising the price to a machine that is a few years old at this point, that wasn't all that good to begin with.

Well to me none of their products are anywhere near a sane pricepoint but different people value different things and they're intended for a different audience... one that isn't me.

Well to me none of their products are anywhere near a sane pricepoint but different people value different things and they're intended for a different audience... one that isn't me.

I mean, when the Alphas first release, they were pretty damn hard to beat spec for spec with Windows licenses included.

Whereas it sounds like the new Mac Mini is going to be a worse proposition than buying a 1TB SSD and some RAM to upgrade a current Alpha.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

a likely config is a 

i5 8---U or i7 8---U

8-16gb of soldered ram

256gb-1tb soldered SSD

4 usb type C

card reader

starting at 700$.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I mean, when the Alphas first release, they were pretty damn hard to beat spec for spec with Windows licenses included.

Whereas it sounds like the new Mac Mini is going to be a worse proposition than buying a 1TB SSD and some RAM to upgrade a current Alpha.

wait, when I said "none of their products", what company did you think I meant? :P I think there just might have been a communication fail here

wait, when I said "none of their products", what company did you think I meant? :P I think there just might have been a communication fail here

Both of them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Both of them.

hm, well, that might be slightly true but I was thinking Apple specifically :P

hm, well, that might be slightly true but I was thinking Apple specifically :P

I have a catalogue from Dell that leans towards many products being of sane price points. Got it a few days ago.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I have a catalogue from Dell that leans towards many products being of sane price points. Got it a few days ago.

Dell sure, but Alienware has always been a bit "out there"

Dell sure, but Alienware has always been a bit "out there"

Oddly enough, not the Alpha. At least, not when they first come out.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

9 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

For a non mac fan, mac itself is an insult. Chill.

How does that relate to anything I said? If you can find a reason to spend 600$ on a desktop with tablet performance and no upgradeability, please tell me what it is. There are significantly better offers even within apple's own product line.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 hours ago, minervx said:

its a dangle.  aka, another $20 add-on you have to buy.

That's like saying a HDMI or a displayport cable is a dongle...

Its no different to any other cable ;) 

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

i5 8---U or i7 8---U

8-16gb of soldered ram

256gb-1tb soldered SSD

4 usb type C

card reader

starting at 700$.

I'd buy that, been wanting a Mac Mini for some time...(plus bootcamp is surprisingly excellent).

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256 GB NVMe SSD
  • 1 thunderbolt port
  • $1200 min

Ah yes, obviously Apple is dumb enough to price it the same as a MBP 13 non-TB...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Having no experience with Mac Minis except having to retrofit a data center to fit a bunch of them, I hope they all die in a fire. xD

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

How does that relate to anything I said? If you can find a reason to spend 600$ on a desktop with tablet performance and no upgradeability, please tell me what it is.

macos. 

I have always liked the Mac Mini, in a way. I like the fact that it was an entry into the Mac world for many, it was reasonable in price (for Apple at least) when compared to the Mac Pro (giant aluminium slab or trash can). I didn’t feel horrible about buying my first one until about 3 weeks after I got it (purchased mid 2010, last of the Core 2 Duo Mac Mini Servers), when they refreshed the hardware and I had the slow, old chip. 

The power:footprint of the device then was great compared to that of similarly sized Windows systems of the time. I look forward to the (slim) possibility of the Mac Mini to return to a reasonable value piece of hardware, Apple tax aside I’d probably get a new one, even if it was just to keep my Mac skills current. 

Battered and bruised, 7 years on and still kicking (I know it’s off in the photo, but it doesn’t stay that way very often)

5E103DBE-934F-4277-8CBC-DFE96ACEFB13.jpeg

Aurora | Built April '22
CPU: Intel i7 11700K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200 | GPU: NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB), Corsair MP400 (1TB) | PSU: Corsair RM1000

Moonlight | Built March '17
CPU: Intel i7 6900K | RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 | GPU: NVidia GTX 750Ti Storage: Intel 600P (512GB), WD Red (4TB) | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Cooling: Corsair H105 | Setup post >here<|

13 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

macos. 

Buy a better mac or make a hackintosh. Buy a refurbished imac, it's only slightly more expensive but more than twice as good, plus it has a screen.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Buy a better mac or make a hackintosh. Buy a refurbished imac, it's only slightly more expensive but more than twice as good, plus it has a screen.

good point. diff product for diff people. 

if I have only $300 then the $350 product is for me. Even though price/performance ratio wise the $500 product make sense. 

i used to not believe this and thought: "why people cant just wait and save a bit more money?" then when I am buying stuff I realised that no one wants to wait... also hackintosh is only for tech savvy people. and for some usage it is not the most stable solution. one system update can fuck up your system and you need to reinstall all the kext files. most people dont even know how to delete their browser search history.. refurbished imac... I think only in the US refurbished product has a really high stock where you can just pick them whenever you want, in aisa, namely china, every year apple put out some batches of refurbished mac/ipad. almost no iphone , like ever gonna hit the "refurbished section".. 

It's easy to see the allure of a Mac mini: it's the lowest-priced Mac (albeit without including a display or input), it's compact, and when a given model is recent it's fairly capable.  When it was brand new in 2005, it was the hottest thing... I really wanted one, even though I ultimately got an iMac.

The problem, as you might guess, is that Apple hasn't given the line much TLC since its last redesign.  Given what's happening with the rest of the Mac lineup, I suspect it was the victim of Apple's pre-2017 attitude toward Macs: don't bother updating until there's a huge performance upgrade available, which can mean not updating for 2-3 years.  I get the impression that Apple wants to redesign the Mac mini in the way it's redesigning the Mac Pro, where it's as much about asking what the system is designed to do as it is giving the design a fresh coat of paint.

We probably won't get a new Mac mini until 2018, but I'm guessing it'll almost be like starting over when it hits.

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

hackintosh is only for tech savvy people. and for some usage it is not the most stable solution. one system update can fuck up your system and you need to reinstall all the kext files. most people dont even know how to delete their browser search history.. 

I would argue most people won't notice a difference in using windows or mac os for basic use anyway. Those who insist on having the unix experience or are looking for that fabled content creation advantage (I could speak for an hour on why I don't believe that just isn't there anymore, but that's beside the point) probably know what they're doing to some extent. Then again those people probably wouldn't even consider a mac mini, as content creation requires more power than the mini comes with. Once we've established the machine is bad, selling it as the only available entry point into mac os doesn't really make it seem like a better deal, it just looks like blackmail. I would say any average user will have a better time with a fast and responsive windows system than with a sluggish mac.

Then again I suppose the attractive of mac os is a matter of opinion to some extent. If you must have it, don't have the money for anything better, don't have access to refurbished units and don't trust yourself with building a hackintosh, then and only then I guess the mini is the only choice - but that doesn't sound like a good situation to be in.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

mac mini 2018  starts from $499

*(with 5400 rpm HDD)