how to make those cold/hot airflow renders in blender?

Nagby

I'm a noob on blender, but I can find how to do stuff by searching on google

thought I couldn't really find a way to achieve what I want, which is :

smoke particles hitting a model and changing color based on the regions where the smoke particles are located

in order to get a render of blue cold air going through a radiator, then comming out red hot

3.jpg

like that but animated

the problem is mostly how to change the color based on the position of the particles, I know you can do it by velocity or lifetime, but that doens't give nice results

maybe adding a hue shift filter over the render that could be moved, but I have no idea how to do that on blender, after effect or premiere pro

any ideas?

One smoke domain for blue smoke above the radiator and another smoke domain for red smoke below the radiator?

but the radiator I am showing is radial, so the blue smoke should mostly follow a cylinder going in the fan, and the red should be going out all around the heatsink

so I think the "hot domain" would need some room before the heatsink so the particles goes the right way, but then it will mix with the blue even before entering the fan

like those heatsinks, but with a radial fan and no way out at the bottom for the air

35-118-001-06.jpg

i used the animation of the fan to "throw" particles away

but they get thrown way too fast... and I don't know how to change that without changing the speed at which the fan spins

Reduce the timestep

i think i used the lowest value here

and it's weird that the red smoke rise up while there should not be any velocity in this direction

ok the rise up was cause by the density in the domain physics settings

and after all, to emit the hot smoke i used a cylinder with the 2 end faces removed, and placed this ring inside the heatsink fins

then gave 20 as normal velocity to the particule

does this look decent?